Go Bottom Go Bottom

Local tourist info wanted

View my Photos
bristan8
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-07          176261

hi, having visited this site a few times I have noticed that is mainly North American. As I am a Kubota owner currently visiting from Australia and staying near Vancouver Canada, I thought I would tap into some local tourist knowledge. Iam about to head off on a road trip into the US and was wondering where to go in about 10 days or so where I would see some attractions or nice countryside. I was originally intending to go to Montana and through Idaho but have been told that it is not the right time of year as parks will be closed etc. The other alternative is to just head down the cost and return by a different route if possible. If anyone out there has any advice for me it would be glady received.
Regards

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-01-07          176264

How many of you? How will you be travelling when here? What kinds of things would you be interested in besides scenery?

We could suggest anything from staying in Vancouver itself to making it to the Grand Canyon or taking a boat cruise through the Inside Passage of Alaska. ....

View my Photos
bristan8

2011-01-07          176271

There are two of us and we are here now and have a car and are about to set off on Saturday for about ten days. We have been over here before and have already travelled the inside passage and seen Vancouver and Seattle. We are not that keen on cities,prefering to keep away from the hustle and bustle (we are seniors). The Grand Canyon would be desirable if we can get that far. It looks a lot of driving from where I sit. We would be finding our accommodation as we go in motels and such. I am mainly interested in a round trip route which would see some interesting places but still allow us to find accommodation, perhaps where possible, booking ahead the previous night. We are heading south as we would like some warmer weather as we are in Whistler which is snow covered at the moment. This trip would most likely be better in summer and I would have liked to see Montana and Lewis and clark country, however that may have to be another time.
I am just interested in hearing some local opinions as to what route you would take if you were doing as I intend.
Regards ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-01-07          176272

I can't think of an ideal itinerary because you've seen the best of the local attractions, and it would take a further huge lot of driving (you're already way north of Vancouver) to see unspectacular sites down the west coast, returning inland.

Or you could get a round-trip air ticket (which might cost way less if you got to the US) to Las Vegas, see the sites and some shows for a few days, rent a car, and do what you propose in a circular route through states such as Arizona, Utah, Colorado. Would cost a bit more but be a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

If that appeals and no alternate suggestions appear, I can fine-tune the idea. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-01-08          176278

I don't know much about NW Washington but there are some nice islands off the coast to visit. If you drive down south toward Oregon you could check out Mount St. Helens (check for road conditions and if the visitors centers are open). A little further south and you could drive east along the Columbia Gorge which is a beautiful site. Or the Oregon coast is beautiful too, and the old growth forests are worth a visit. ....

View my Photos
bristan8

2011-01-09          176317

Thanks for those ideas. I shall consult my road atlas and explore as I go. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-01-09          176319

You might visit a local travel agent or two. They have brochures, maps, and often special deals and a staffer who has done what you're proposing and can make reservations and give any warnings about local or weather issues. (You don't pay for their services; they get a cut out of the regular price you pay.) Another source might be the local auto club office. There may be senior discounts they'd know about.

They may have suggestions on equipment to bring along. Not major survival gear but something for older people, sparsely-travelled road, January, northern states ....

Hope you have a marvellous trip, and wish we could have helped more specifically.

View my Photos
JD-855-in-WI

2011-01-11          176339

G’day Mate:

I’ve just returned from your part of the world, was down to Kangaroo Valley and the Little Blow Hole at Kiama and over to Katomba. I’ve been going to Australia for the last 15 years, each year for work. Great place it is, I usually stay in Campbelltowne. My friends from there that come this way sure like to go to Los Vegas, not for the gambling but he entertainment and the steaks. I usually set them up with tours through the national parks in Utah, Arches, Zion, Bryce and Canyonlands, but that may be too far for the time you have. It is a winter season and I know you guys don’t get snow except up in the Snowies, so driving might be a freight, but Yellowstone in the winter is beautiful. The snowmobile trip would be one of those once in a life time adventures, you can start in West Gate, there are outfitters there who can help you out. I’ve learned from being in your country to try make each trip an adventure…..

View my Photos
bristan8

2011-01-24          176583

Cmpbelltown is about 20 mins from where I live in Sydney,small world isn't it.
Update on my trip :-I returned today after 5 thousand k's and twelve days. Went down to portland and along the columbia gorge ,after a boeing tour in Everett. Took the I84 down to Moab and saw the arches. Took utah 12 to bryce canyon the 21,50 and 93 through nevada back to Idaho and thence returned to Canada. Very impressed and envious of the amazing road system you have here in the USA. Pity we can't get some of you guys over our way to show us how to do it. Probably did too much driving but we enjoyed the spectacular scenery and avoided the cities which I am not fond of. Liked small towns like Escalante and milford in Utah. Had a couple of meals in a diner in Milford which to me was in interesting and a cultural experience.All roads were clear and we had blue skies in Utah. I have done a bit of snow driving in my time so that wouldn't have been a real drama anyway. All in all a good trip and it gave me some idea what to expect if I do it again, which I probably will.
Regards ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2011-01-25          176586

Goodonya mate! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login