Go Bottom Go Bottom

Laser ignition engines

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-11-19          166949

This is interesting.

Link:   Laser ignition engines

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Laser ignition engines

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-11-20          166959

You may find this site even more interesting:

US EPA Gas Saving and Emission Reduction Devices Evaluation

They tested about 50 of these, all with the same results.

Then there's this question. If YOU invented some miracle device or formula or chemical or whatever, one that would benefit every owner (as opposed to the one manufacturer), would you offer it to, say, a major car maker, fuel company, or even a big retail or repair chain -- or would you try to flog it to end users, one unit at a time?

There's a list of impressive agencies at the bottom, but they're meaningless according to the disclaimers elsewhere in the blurb. Even if it works, it seems only for vehicles that run on natural gas. ....

Laser ignition engines

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-11-20          166963

Automobile magazine had an article on laser ignition, and it's not just for natural gas/propane engines it's for gasoline too. The article had far more details than this link had.

Basically, in each cylinder the laser went through a splitter and fired three beams spread through the chamber. Each beam struck a plasma arc when fired, so there were three plasma arcs in each cylinder. These could be fired in nanoseconds and there could be a bunch of firings on each cycle.

Another advantage is they could use laser sensing in each cylinder to continually monitor the combustion cycle and adjust fuel and "spark" accordingly for best efficiency.

The "easy" way to do this, with one laser source for each cylinder, is too expensive. They spoke about using one laser and fiber coupling it to each cylinder. Then the quality of fiber coupling, bend radius, fiber loss, and such comes into play but they claimed with a new type of fiber it was very feasible and they predicted within five years they would be selling gasoline engines with the technology.

We'll see how that goes. ....

Laser ignition engines

View my Photos
kwschumm

2009-11-20          166964

Here's a brief article on Ford's plans for laser ignition. ....

Link:   Ford laser ignition

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login