Go Bottom Go Bottom

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-31          164509

I posted this topic a while ago at Barrelpoint.

Well the vultures are back now that the wood stove season is over!

I got my son an AirSoft rifle a copy of the AK74. So I decided to give it a try on the vultures. The gun is electric and can fire single .2 gram or continuous.

I get as many as 12 birds up there at a time, the place looks haunted. The first time I sneak out of the house and fire at one of them, near miss and maybe a hit. They all take off.

They are pretty smart as when I don't have the gun they could care less about be screaming, honking the horn etc.. If I have the gun, even hide it behind me they are gone.

Nonetheless I am just not getting through to them that they are not welcome, maybe they need to lose a family member!

Dennis

Link:   Barrelpoint message

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-07-31          164512

I guess us farmer types are better at dealing with birds than the hunting types. LOL

What you need is the same thing as I recommend to people with deer problems, it is a motion-sensitive lawn sprinkler called "The Scarecrow" and made by a company called Contech. Put one on your roof and the first few (very wet and unhappy) vultures that try to land will quickly spread the word to the rest of the flock that your place is not a good place to roost.

The other idea that works well is to merely make it either impossible or unpleasant to roost there. If there is some structure there, otherwise make up a frame and stretch fishing line across the area they roost, about 6" off whatever they sit on. This is too high for them to straddle, and creates a trip hazard for them. They will quickly abandon the place.

Best of luck. ....

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
yooperpete

2009-07-31          164516

Dennis:

To us gun nuts that is an AK-47 copy.

Where I come from, you dig the hole first and then use a real gun when shooting at them at ground level from raunchy bait or pellet gun on roof tops. Don't tell the neighbors! ....

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2009-07-31          164521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 164512
... it is a motion-sensitive lawn sprinkler called "The Scarecrow" and made by a company called Contech.

Actually, I had two of those until I ran over one with the Kubota :(. Problem is my roof is really high, and has 11/12 pitch, and not walkable by an old guy like me!

I had thought of attaching it to the end of a ladder that I can get up to the second story, but not sure if the sensor would pick them up that far off. The other thing is the roof area is pretty large and several might be needed.

But clearly this approach of constant irritation is more sound!

Yooper, barring Murfs suggestion I have been thinking along your lines. If I use birdshot at 45% angle off my deck, if I have a house down hill from my deck, do I have to worry about bb's hitting their house? In NJ you have to be 400 feet from a residence to fire a shotgun. ....

Picture Link
Just For Fun Off Topic Turkey Vulture Nuisance

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
Hettric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-07-31          164539

In MA 500' from a residence, including your own I have been told. ....

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2009-07-31          164541

Actually I think I miss spoke in NJ its 450 feet/ ....

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-08-01          164546

They say there is some beauty in every creature, but I fail to see it in the turkey Vulture.
I think that God designed them to be that ugly so we would appreciate how beautiful the rest of the birds are. Frank. ....

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2009-08-01          164547

I found this article on shotgun safety zones:

"Those new to the sport of shotgun, clay pigeon and game shooting might perhaps think that the shot from a shotgun would go to exactly where it was pointed. A reasonable assumption, but it's not quite as simple as that. In fact, there are many variables that can effect where it lands. Here are a few pointers that will help those new to sport of shotgun shooting to understand the mechanics of a shot performance and thereby improve their skills, aim and accuracy.

A shotgun traditionally shoots above its point of aim. Typically, a shotgun will throw a pattern around 65% above the muzzles, thus ensuring you can see your quarry when you take the shot. Being as a shotgun is a smooth-bore weapon, it's effective range is heavily reliant upon the shell itself, and was never originally designed to kill at extreme range, say beyond 40-50 yards. Clays however, can still be broken at this sort of range and beyond, but will still be reliant upon the shell itself. Furthermore, there are other factors to consider at long range, being the 'drop' and 'drift' of the shot cloud.

The degree of elevation of the shot can also have some effect, as it would be travelling against the earth's gravity more so than a more level shot. Shotgun pellets can travel over 200 yards, and with a trailing wind, even further, hence the safety 'fall-out' zone of 300+ yards being the 'norm'. The effective pattern will have long gone at that distance, and will be merely, a falling shower, albeit still dangerous!

Generally, in normal calm weather conditions, most shot from a 28gm (1 ounce) shotgun cartridge, would fall within around 220 metres from the point it was fired, following winds can easily increase this fallout distance, so a minimum safety distance of 300 metres should be declared in any direction in which a shot could be fired. Make sure you do not shoot over bridleways, railways or footpaths, or towards any highway. Remember, even though you may be shooting safely and responsibly, you have a duty as to 'not cause distress' to non-shooters, the general public, and domestic animals!"

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-08-01          164556

Dennis, if you want silent but strong get one of those strong sling shots that has pistol grip and rest on your arm and you can shoot a steel ball with them that will prossibly solved your issue. Doubt you will kill them but sure will sting them. Or bow and arrow with string on the arrow just in case you miss. :) ....

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-08-01          164557

The bald eagle has made a dramatic comeback in eastern Iowa in the last few years, it is real common to see them now. 20 years ago you had to drive to the dams on the Mississippi River to see them.
Being they are scavenger birds there are some who sit in an old dead tree across the road form our farmhouse watching me come and go. Being I have to use a walker to get around anymore they are watching for a free meal if I drop in the yard. ....

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-08-02          164580

Hardwood, are you serious on the walker? ....

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-08-02          164582

KT;
Serious indeed, three years this past January. ....

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-08-03          164591

Hardwood, did not realize that on the walker. Not trying to be nosey but you are still able to operate tractor and such is my impression. Do you move the walker to the tractor ater getting on just in case? Do you keep a cell phone or radio with you just in case? Do you to carry a gun for the eagles?

In one way the walker is bad news but some of us it gives us hope we will still be able to operate our machines when we face such.

Take care and God Bless you my TP friend, KT ....

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-08-03          164592

Yes, I have a place on the loader frame that I carry my walker on the trator. The lawn mower has no place to carry one and I did get stranded this summer when the mower quit on me. The Mrs. was shopping with the grand daughters that afternoon and she had instructed me before she left to NOT do any mowing, but you know how that goes. I do carry a cell phone and called the Deere dealer who had a service person there within an hour to fix the mower, in the meantime I just sat there and waited. I still work in the woodshop building furniture and have two gardens that I tend on my hands and knees. My problem orignated with a fall on the ice breaking my pelvis and have never regained the full use of my legs. I've been to the Mayo Clinic several times and they haven't figured it out either why my legs won't work so it is just a nuscance, not really a handicap in my mind. Long as I can still do something I'm not going to go to the rocking cahir, too many people die sitting in them. ....

Turkey Vulture Nuisance

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-08-03          164607

Understand why you brag on your dealership! Be careful. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login