Go Bottom Go Bottom

Anyone used automatic tire chains

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-07          158456

I came across these automatic tire chains. They seem pretty cool (pun intended). I wonder if they'd practical on a tractor like for plowing on an icey road as I realize they need a little speed to flail the chains out and under the tires.

Link:   onspot automatic tire chain

Picture Link

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-12-08          158458

Kind of a neat idea, probably if the tractor wheel was spinning on ice they would fly out to get under the tire. The whole mechanisim that holds the little wheel with the chains on looks too close to the road to not get messd up in deeper snow. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-12-08          158464

Every school bus in Anchorage has a set of these chains. They have been using them for years with great success.

Conversely, I have never seen a piece of equipment used to clear or haul snow up there equipped with automatic chains. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-12-08          158465

I suspect that they would lead a short life on something like a tractor.

The extremely short turning radius means that they would be subjected to some real stress when one wheel is turning so much faster than the other.

If you made a really sharp turn it's very easy to get the outside tire turning more than double the speed of the inside tire.

I suspect the old-style sand slingers would work better since, at least in theory, the wheels of a tractor are always running in already plowed areas so the only problem should be ice.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-12-08          158469

As you indicated, most tractors don't shove snow at highway speeds. If they did go fast enough, this does not look like a simple installation on the trucks they're designed for, so by the time you got them working on a tractor the snow might have melted. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-12-08          158471

I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall of the guy that designed it...when he showed his buddy the idea :)

And the fly on the wall of his bankers! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login