Go Bottom Go Bottom

Need help identifying electronic component

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-13          156625

I have a 12VC-110AC 2500W power convertor that recently fried some electronic components. All 8 items are the same size--about the size of dime, two conductors and soldered on the PC board. I removed them for indentification. A buddy tells me they look like a resistor, and have the resistor symbol printed on the board next to them. However, the letters preceeding the item no. (1-8) starts with TH-1 then the resistor symbol.

Anyone know what these are?

BTW in the same row of these of which these make up one-half, there is more similar but smaller components like them that did not fry.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-09-13          156626

Sound like capacitors to me. They are often disc shaped with radial leads (leads extending out the edges) and mounted on boards in a vertical orientation. Capacitors are rated in Farads (like pF, uF, etc). Any letters like that on 'em? ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-09-13          156629

KW, it looks like ink-dot printing that says:
First line: (circle with some sort of symbol) NP
Second line: U or J or V, a line over E1 then larger 06.

It could be the two lines are actually two vertical columns in which case it would be:
First column: (circle with symbol), a small horizontal line, then U, J or V
Second column: NP, then 06

The fried ones flee apart to reveal what appears to be compressed carbon tablet that looks like an alnico magnet is made of--I guess. A conductor lead is attached to the front and to the back of the tablet. Then it is coated in the insulator. The whole thing is no more than an 1/8" thick.

Any idea what the "TH-x" and the resistor symbol have to do with it? According to my buddy who looked at it, he says there 8 switching transistors in row parallel and next to these what-ever-they-ares. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-09-13          156632

I'm not a EE and don't specify these sorts of parts but here's my best guess, which may well be totally wrong.

circle and NP may be manufacturer

it has a J which usually means Joules which might mean it's an energy device, my guess is a varistor.

The E1 and 06 may be a date code, with 06 the year.

TH-x is probably the series.

Seems there should be more numbers (voltage rating at least)

By resistor symbol do you mean the Greek Omega character?

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-09-13          156636

It was bought in early '05 so '06 ain't right as a date code :)

The TH thing: Picture an assembler looking at the PC board and it shows printed on the board TH 1, TH 2, TH 3 and so on. Next to each TH (No.) appears the resistor symbol inside a rectangle: -/////- ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-09-13          156637

The resistor picture I'll try again -VVVVV- in other words a zig-zag line in a rectangular box. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-09-13          156638

Ah, the TH is on the PC board and not the fried part? They are very likely thermistors. They are often used in power related devices as inrush current limiters. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-09-13          156640

Sounds good to me, makes sense. Where would I go to get something like them without knowing the values? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-09-13          156641

A good place to get them is digikey.com. If they are on the side of the circuit where the AC power comes in they are probably 120V and tolerance is probably not critical. Other than that... well, I'm no EE. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-09-13          156645

Okay, but this unit takes 12 volts and makes 110 AC, so does that change things? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-09-13          156648

Just to prove I don't know what I'm talking about... DigiKey doesn't even give voltage ratings for the thermistors.

This is a real SWAG, but try this. Measure the diameter of the fried part, and the distance between the leads. Go to the link below, pick the diameter and lead spacing that is closest to what you have, select bulk packaging, and click the "Apply Filters" button. I'll bet the items that show up all have approximately the same ratings. My guess is you can't go wrong if you pick the parts with the highest Max Amp rating.

But I take no responsibility for any fire that may ensue :) ....

Link:   DigKey Thermistors

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-09-13          156649

Ask the manufacturer. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-09-14          156654

I bought it off ebay. There are no markings on it. The seller could not (or likely would not) call the mfg. who is in China. I feel fairly confident KW's steering me to the Digi-people will work.

Thanks KW! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-09-14          156656

Good Luck. Let us know how it turns out, and be sure to record a video when you power it up for the first time :) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login