Go Bottom Go Bottom

Soda Evaporated Through Cans

View my Photos
crunch
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-20          150469

My wife is a soda drinker. Every time she goes out she buys 2 or 3 12-paks of pepsi or whatever. So we have had a full shelf of soda in the basement for years - some of the soda has gotten to be a few years old. I spent the day cleaning up syrup off the floor and throwing out a trash can full of empty soda cans. 6 cases of cherry vanilla coke thrown out 1/2 full and full of syrup. 2 cases of Seagrams ginger ale - totally empty. And on and on. Has this ever happened to anyone else? What is the cause? The basement is always warm so freezing is not the problem.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-21          150501

I gotta believe that first the carbonation goes. How it leaves the can I can only guess that it is a gas and those cans are only so thin. Once the pressure goes that lets the can walls flex with any type of temp change thus opening up so fluid will drain.

But you're doing good. You shoulda see some of the Beer cans that arrived in Southeast Asia. Rust covered needed a church key to open. Ahhhhh just nothing quite like a warm flat beer during a Monsoon. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-01-21          150502

Crunch,

I'm wondering just how pure the aluminum is that's used in our soda cans. I wonder how well it has been refined, and how many impurities may remain in that aluminum.

Soda contains a bit of acid. If there are any impurities in the aluminum, it's quite possible that the acid in the soda could eat away at the can, eventually causing a small hole to develop.

I highly doubt that our aluminum cans are refined as well as aircraft quality materials.

Joel

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-21          150503

If you've ever seen the way they make soda cans, you'd hardly believe they hold liquid at all, let alone a pressurized, carbonated beverage.

It starts with a 3" disk of VERY thin aluminum, about 0.3 mm (0.0118") which is pushed through a series of ever smaller dies until they end up with what you see in the store.

There is a very good reason they put a "consume before" date on soda cans, past that date you're gambling that the protective coating sprayed on the interior of the can is still intact, if it's not, some sodas will eat through the aluminum in just days.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-21          150512

If any of you remember Billy Carter, the former President's brother ran a gas station in Plains, (I think) Georgia. He had an awfull tasting beer branded "Billy Beer" . We stoped by Billy's gas station once and bought a couple six packs, I found one of the six packs on the shelf in the fruit cellar about a year ago, all six rusted thru and empty. Frank. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2008-01-21          150516

Last week I was cleaning out the barn and found an empty 7-up glass bottle with a screw-on cap that the seal was not broken. I kinda wondered "How did that happen" and later forgot about it as I went on to different things.

I'm intrigued, how did that happen!

While we are on that subject, I have another glass bottle with a clear mystery fluid inside that hasn't frozen nor evaporated in about 50 years. I'm assuming it is either alcohol or some sort of really bad insecticide. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-01-21          150517

I'm thinking that it was the coined tab outline that may have failed. The metal has to be so very thin for it peel away so easily, but at the same time hold pressure. And considering that billions of cans that are made, to have a few leak is quite a feat in and of itself.

But I'm jis' sayin' ....

View my Photos
crunch

2008-01-21          150519

EW, my buddy at work also thought the coined tab outline failed. But this was about 50% of what was on the shelf. Not just a few cans. And it seemed to be by brand. For instance every one of the Seagrams cans were totally empty. The cherry vanilla cokes were about 1/2 empty.

It seems some brands may be constructed better than others - and that maybe they will all fail over some period of time. I should have kept some of the cans to analyze them. But I was just happy to get rid of the mess. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-01-21          150521

In my opinion, it's likely that because so many failed of one brand it's possible that the coining tooling may have been new or sharpened and you got part of the first part of the run. If you think about it, there's a fine line of keeping the tab on with just an impression to keep it intact. When I was cleaning up hurricane Katrina Anheuser-Busch (sp) sent thousands of pallets of canned filtered water with their logo on them (presumably the same cans beer came in but painted white). The cans were so thin that you could literally open the tab simply by squeezing the can slightly.

Reminds me of a friend's mother who worked at the local Pepsi bottling plant as a line inspector. I didn't see it, but I heard about a collection she kept of everything imaginable that could be stuffed into a Pepsi bottle that she pulled off the line.

Hmmm. Makes me wanna go take a pee now :) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-22          150534

Crunch, first I like what ever the picture you use is called. Just noticed it. We are so blessed.

It seems what you are finding missing is the part without syrup. It sounds like the syrup is still there. That is why the ginger ale is so empty compared to the Coke. kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-22          150546

I'd be surprised if it was the 'pop tops' that leaked.

First of all, if it was the top that let go, only the carbonation would have leaked, not the liquid. Secondly, if corrosion or mechanical failure (pertly caused by corrosion?) caused the failure, it would have happened in a spot that is exposed to the soda, not in the air space above it.

In YooperPetes case, I suspect that a good freeze broke the seal but did not blow the lid off, the pressure as the liquid expands during freezing is phenomenal, then years of more freeze thaw cycles and evaporation would mostly empty it for sure.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2008-01-22          150547

Murf:
I would have thought that the glass would have broken before the metallic seal would have leaked. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login