Go Bottom Go Bottom

MUSH

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-19          147137

It is my understanding MUSH (nothing to do with dogs) is made from cornmeal or fine ground corn. Have tried making it based upon a miller's direction on that and it tasted, well like MUSH. Can anyone tell me how to properly cook MUSH? kt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

MUSH

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-19          147138

Kenneth, here's the straight poop on mush.

It's a bad attempt to make corn meal (polenta actually) taste like Oatmeal.

Having had lots of both, I can tell you without hesitation, stick to oatmeal!!!

Now, why some self-respecting southern gentleman would want mush for breakfast is beyond me, but to each their own.

For me, a big slab of honey ham, a few eggs fried up right after the ham, some grits, and some fresh (hopefully still warm from the oven) biscuits and of course some red-eye gravy to dip the biscuits in and mix into the grits.

Now that's breakfast!!! :)

Best of luck. ....

MUSH

View my Photos
randywatson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-19          147139

second that Murf,

mush=yuk, have had it fried with butter slathered on, would rather have corn bread or sticks ....

MUSH

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-10-19          147141

OK you guys, now here is the REALLY straight poop on mush. Toss in a handfull of raisins a short spoon of cinnamon, and a touch of nutmeg. Stir in a big spoon of real butter while it is still hot, pour on some real milk and enjoy. The bland old oatmeal will be left in the pan. I'm getting hungry just thinking about it. Frank. ....

MUSH

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-19          147142

Kenny are you thinking of Cream of Wheat cereal? We used to put brown sugar, cinnamon and raisins with milk in ours.

Kenny I think I saw something like you describe in Mississippi, but it was corn meal (I think) that was boiled with lye and lime juice. ....

MUSH

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-10-19          147143

EW; Hominy, sometimes called hominy grits is somehow soaked in lye to remove the hull of the kernel. The kernels swell up and it remains whole as it comes in a tin can at the store packed in water. You drain it fry it in butter, pretty good stuff. Frank. ....

MUSH

View my Photos
crunch

2007-10-19          147144

Frank, you are my kind of man. I never experienced food I didn't like. I will keep my eyes out for mush. PS. My favorite show is Anthony Zimmernon the travel channel. ....

MUSH

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-10-24          147279

Murf, local radio host was talking about "polenta" yesterday and bragged on how great it is. He is from up the road. Yes Murf, that is a great Southern Breakfast you described.

About a month ago was in Illinois and had MUSH at Bob Evans there. I think everybody ought to have it once, probably not twice.

What gets me is how different MUSH taste from good ole grits both from ground corn. kt

MUSH

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-24          147282

Kenny what's a "radio hose"? Is that something you put your ear up to to listen to music, er somthin'? ....

MUSH

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-10-24          147306

Ole EW, this time it is your reading and not my typing. No I did not edit it since you read it. kt ....

MUSH

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-24          147309

So YOU didn't edit it, eh? Huh. Musta been a mistakey-poo that I got an email notification of it :)

That's okay maybe someone ELSE did it for you! Perhaps A MODERATOR hmmm?

Now with the CORRECTION of "host" not "hose" it makes sense now. I can rest now. Well at least 'til yer next flub-up tehehehehe

Give Jeffy a hug... ....

MUSH

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-10-24          147312

Kt,

Hmmmmmm I try to be nice and make us all look better, so we don't have any squabbling over typos, man I can't seem to get away from more than my share of typos myself as well.

So yes I made the correction from hose to host, just so we could avoid any comments on it LOL.

Guess I just cannot outsmart you guys ;)

Dennis ....

MUSH

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-24          147314

Dennis, jis' for the record I don't mean to make anybody look bad (Kenny doesn't need help hahaha). Just keepin' Kenny honest (he likes that :) right Kenny---say, "Yes")

But seriously, for those that don't know, Kenny an' me are buds---I'm almost family (not HIS, of course :) ), so no harm no fowl--or is that foul? Kenny, which is it? DOH! What was I thinkin'!

MUSH

View my Photos
crunch

2007-10-24          147315

So KT, do you have some issue with polenta? A great food -just had some fried polenta the other day. Is that the same as mush? Ever cook up a pan of veal brains with olives and tomatos? Ummm. How about some octopus in your spaghetti sauce? Pickled lamb tongue anyone? Spam and eggs? I gotta find me a suckling pig and eat the brains and eyeballs out of the skull next year. Bring it on!! ....

MUSH

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-24          147318

Cutter where were you raised?

I can say I have had the Spam and the octopus fried and steamed---a bit like rubbery little rings. Brains...um..ah, no. That was--EAT brains, not do not HAVE brains---didn't wanna leave that open for anybody ;)

My mexican friends cook a whole lamb--head and all--wrapped in banana or some type of leaf in a pit, covered, with hot coals for half a day. They fill the stomach with the inards and make soup from it. The brains, tongue, etc. (I hope) I haven't had---I stick to the parts I think I know.

arrrggg (cough, cough) I think I'm gonna (argggh) throw up... ....

MUSH

View my Photos
crunch

2007-10-24          147319

EW, I assume you are referring to me - not cutter. That was not a good slip after getting on KT like that :) I was born of an Italian father and a WASP Mother. My Father made us eat our entire meal every night - which made me learn to tolerate most any food. My sisters knew me as the "human garbage pail" after they saw me consume a peanut butter cake that accidentally fell in the dish water.

PS: I edited the spelling of the word "octapus" ....

MUSH

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-24          147321

DOH! Kenny's rubbing off me! My bad. (Kenny knows I'm jis' playing with him---we're actually phone buddys outside of TP)

Yes, I meant you, Crunch.

Had to eat everything on your plate too eh? Same here. Many a l-o-n-g night was spent at the table trying to down food we hated as kids. Which is part of my problem not being able to push my plate way from me when I'm not that hungry. No, I don't lick my plate clean but... ....

MUSH

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-24          147322

DOH! Kenny's rubbing off me! My bad. (Kenny knows I'm jis' playing with him---we're actually phone buddys outside of TP)

Yes, I meant you, Crunch.

Had to eat everything on your plate too eh? Same here. Many a l-o-n-g night was spent at the table trying to down food we hated as kids. Which is part of my problem not being able to push my plate way from me when I'm not that hungry. No, I don't lick my plate clean but... ....

MUSH

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-10-25          147358

Dennis, I appreciate your looking out for me. Honestly appreciate all the help I can get.

EW, yep. Now as to Radio Hose. it connects the radiator to radio to keep it cool. Remember when music was "cool". Still got that auto dishwasher, FIDO brand I think it was?

Crunch, if you were wanting to cut down on the Thanksgiving crowd you may have done that. Believe I will pass. Just goes to show, people's taste and what they taste varies. A BUNCH.

One thing for sure, there is no MUSH here..just good people who give great advice. kt

Thanks to EW for his spelling help. ....

MUSH

View my Photos
crunch

2007-10-25          147371

Just for KT and EW, check out my veal brain dinner in Pic #6. ....

Picture Link
Just For Fun Off Topic MUSH

MUSH

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-10-25          147372

Well, I guess anything cooked can be appetizing. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login