Go Bottom Go Bottom

What makes Canadian bacon Canadian Bacon

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-28          145133

Their are several types of breakfast ham.

-Canadian style (not made in Canada)

-Canadian Bacon (made in Canada)

-Cooked Ham slices (Made in US same size and shape as Canadian Bacon)

Perhaps some of our resident experts can clarify what makes Canadian Bacon Canadian Bacon other than being made in Canad ;)

Dennis

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-28          145135

"Canadian bacon" oddly enough, is a term really only used in the US.

Up here it's called back bacon or because the meat comes from the loin in the middle of the pigs back, rather than from the streaky / fatty slabs that come from the pigs sides or belly.

We also have a popular variation called peameal bacon because of the traditional coating (even though it's now corn meal not pea meal), which refers to a specific variety of unsmoked lean bacon that has been sweet pickle-cured.

Oh now I'm getting hungry. ;)

Best of luck.

View my Photos
Billy

2007-08-28          145144

Yeah some of these names have nothing to do with where they're from. Just a name someone stuck on it and it stayed. For instance, the New York Strip and the Kansas City Strip are the same thing. Nothing but a boneless t-bone minus the tenderloin (filet mignon). ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-08-28          145146

I just grilled some of that so called real Canadian bacon, and it tastes great! It seems to be saltier and more chewy kinda like ham jerky rather than just cooked loin ham. I guess that is the back bacon flavor Murf is talking about.

I used to buy Irish bacon, to throw in yet another name, which is sold in strips that are way leaner than regular slab bacon, but I rarely see it in the stores anymore.

Dennis ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-08-28          145147

Dennis, you over-cooked it.

It is cured before you buy it, all it needs is browning in a hot pan, and just browned at that. If done properly it should not need a knife, just the edge of the fork!

If I could figure out a way to send you a refrigerated package I'd happily send you some of the real stuff to try.

Oh and some 'real' cheddar cheese too, not that imitation stuff you guys get stuck with. ;)

Yech!!! :(

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-28          145148

Guess I have to have my "hamburger" and "french fries" now.

Dennis, as a youngester Canadian Bacon was one of the few luxeries in my life. kt

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2007-08-28          145149

Murf,

You got me on that one, I have a reputation of turning boneless chicken into chicken jerky as well LOL!

One of the things I do cook rare is steak and that I have down pretty good so it comes out medium rare.

We have this stuff called "Steak Rub" that I put on Chicken, Steak, Seafood. etc. you get the idea I put on everything I grill. A place in NJ makes it and my guests always say "my what did you put on that". To which I think maybe I over did it, but they usually want to get some of the stuff for themselves.

Hey KT did I mention I went to Stcky Fingers in Greenville SC a couple of weeks ago. Now that that is a super fine dry rub they have on excellent baby back ribs!

Dennis

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-28          145150

Dennis, Sticky Fingers is right good. There are a ton of BBQ places in the Carolinas. Hint, the best BBQ is normally in a old run down building with real smoke somewhere near.

Let me help Murf out for you, Murf, winter is coming. You will be able to ship real easy sooner than we may wish. There is also styrofoam coolers and dry ice. But if it really is "cured" meat does it have to be kept cool? The cured hams here do not. Now they do grow a mold on it and I am serious on that and it is not harmful. Well so they say, but that is the part we feed to our Yankee visitors. Oh come on, just kidding. Not enough for the politicians! kt

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-08-28          145157

Kenny you can still enjoy that "luxerie" (is that French for luxury? hmmm)

I'm across the river from Canucks. In the winter I can see them from my roof top (not really).

Anywho, McDonald's used to call the meat on the McMuffin Canadian Bacon. Anymore it's called "ham". ....

View my Photos
crunch

2007-08-28          145159

My wife has been bringing home this thin tough canadian bacon. I asked her to look for some thicker canadian bacon from the local fresh food place. Oh man - the thicker the better but it must be tender. Anyone have any favorite brands for canadian bacon? ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-29          145165

Most of the pizza joints here have a Canadian Bacon that must come from the same place as the McDonalds muffin plastic tasting Canadian Bacon, it tastes the same. The "Good Stuff" reminds me of the good ole brine cured smoked hams. Now I'm getting hungry, who has the chickens here, bring some eggs. Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-08-29          145170

On Murf's saying it was being over cooked the reason it is tough, pay attention to how little cooking is suggested on ham and you will find it as he said, tender and juicy. And as Hardwood said, bring the eggs and for me, the grits! It don't get any better. kt ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-08-29          145174

Being a serious amateur chef my new gal likes to defer to me for certain things, breakfast being high on the list!

The sliced up left-over potatoes from last night go in first with a bit of onion, then as they near ready, 3 or 4 (per person) of those thick juicy slabs of 'real' bacon like Crunch likes go in, then finally some farm fresh brown jumbo-sized eggs go in to soak up the bacon drippings off the pan! A couple of slices of toast to mop up the yoke that ran away and maybe a few slices of tomato too!!

Damn, now I'm hungry again! :)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-08-29          145211

Murf: Thank God for socialized medical care, eh? 'cause yer gonna need it LOL eatin' like dat!

Or maybe a visit from Roto-Rooter to clear out 'dem veins? ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-30          145213

Murf; Wow, you better keep your address a secret, otherwise a bunch of us freeloaders may show up for breakfast. My kind of eatin. Frank. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login