Go Bottom Go Bottom

Identify a spider by its web

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-02          135642

There are spiders in the woods here (pacific NW) that build webs suspended between the trees. The interesting thing about these webs is that suspended from each web is a single free hanging conifer needle or a small stick of a similar size. It's easy to avoid walking into the webs because there's always something hanging down from the web near eye level that tells you a web is there. But I've never seen a spider nearby (not that I've really looked for one). Anyone know what kind of a spider might have a web like this?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-10-03          135652

Ken, I don't think it's the spider that's doing that, it's Mother Nature.

I have the same thing in my pines and spruces here too. But I have noticed that what happens is the spider builds the web, then a needle falls and snags it, but since it is relatively heavy, and gets further tugged by the breeze, it just hangs at the end of a strand, it never quite breaks the web.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-10-03          135659

Murf, I didn't think of that and it's certainly a possibility. It just seems so consistent since it's always one pine needle and there are hundreds of webs. If I walk the trail and clean out the webs one day new webs are built the next and there always seems to be a single pine needle hanging there. Never 2 or three, always one. Some time spent sleuthing with a magnifying glass might reveal more. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-06          135760

Ken
If you want to have some fun (I still do this) try testing your skills.
Pick up something very light and small that you will use for a fake bug. I used to tie a small piece of cotton on to a length of thread and tie that to a stick. Find yourself a good web and go "fishing" Fun as all heck trying to get the spider to attack the cotton. You need to be very silent, very slow in your movements and most of all, have a very very soft touch, then wiggle it like its trying to escape. DONT FLINCH if you get a spider to "bust out after it. They explode with high speed! LOL Good luck

View my Photos
unit5alive
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-10-16          135965

We have alot of the big black spiders , about the size of a quarter , around here with big heavyduty webs to match ! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login