Go Bottom Go Bottom

mini spreader update

View my Photos
RichM.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-10          73615

After internet scouring found a Millcreek 35 (used) at a dealership. Mechanically a 9 ( the dealer had gone through it and replaced some small parts)cosmetically about 7. Bought it unseen after talking to the sales rep. Picked up yesterday and was not disappointed. Needs inside bed paint job. Has a poly floor. Plan to use it as is this spring when spreading my composted manure. There is a local guy who does sandblasting. Think I'll have him blast and prime it inside and have the company that is going to spray the bed liner in my truck do it at the same time.Purchase price $950. Think I made out ok.Ps. 12 HP Speedex garden tractor pulls it just fine, had to play before putting away!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

mini spreader update

View my Photos
wbowhunt
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-20          74589

I don't know that you would want to put your new toy away. Late winter is one of the best time to spread manure. As the ground freezes it crack and opens up to allow that spread manure to get down into the soil, that combined with a good snow or early spring rains really help get that organic fertilizer deep into the soil, Especially with snow and a slow thaw. The only down side is the frozen manure pile. If you cover it with a black tarp on a bright sunny days it will help loosen the outter frozen portion and the inside should have remained pretty warm as it decomposed. Then you can spread away. also with the ground frozen you are less likely to have any issues with mud or getting ruts in the ground from the weight of a loaded spreader. Just some thoughts to consider ....

mini spreader update

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-20          74592

wbowhunt, that's a good tip. I never knew the cracks in the soil were useful. ....

mini spreader update

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2004-01-21          74644

It is also a good time to seed the lawn, believe it or not. The seeds get down in there and then when the soil thaws you have good ground contact for germination. ....

mini spreader update

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-21          74651

We regularly have to use a 3pth blower to remove a snow layer to prior to laying sod in the late fall / early winter, never had to replace a dead roll in the spring yet either.

We also spray down a LOT of seed just before snow, it does work quite well.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login