Go Bottom Go Bottom

what tractor to buy

View my Photos
newacres
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-03          60830

I posted this in another forum but I think that it probably should have been posted here instead

Recently my husband and I bought 10 acres, 6 acres are cleared. We have paid to have the land brush hogged up til now. We want to buy a tractor because there are many things we want to do and I do not want to pay someone each time I want something done. Eventually I'd like to have a box blade, tiller, disc, and a loader. For now I'd like to atleast just get a brush hog with the tractor.

I've been looking at tractors and I think I've settled on the New Holland, either the 35 or the 40. I'm thinking the 35 is enough. I know I want a 4/4 as well. I'm hoping I can get some feedback from everyone here as to what I might want to get or want to stay away from. This is our first tractor so I really don't know too much of the ins and outs.

Thanks
Patti

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

what tractor to buy

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-03          60835

Welcome Patti! Sorry I missed you other post. If you haven't already (it looks like you have) gone out and compared as well as demo'd as many tractors as you can in this class; I would urge you to do this first and narrow it down to the models you like best. Pretty much looks like you have done this. Both of these models would meet what you are intending to use these tractors for. Usually it is better to go with as much tractor as you can afford or make use of as you may decide to use larger of more hp requiring equipment in the future. I would suggest that you decide on which type of transmission you want. Gear shift, hydrostatic, etc. I prefer the hydrostatic personally as it allows more control in restricted space and substantially reduces shifting. Obviously by my profile I prefer John Deere but that does not mean that other brands are bad. I am sure other will jump right in here with New Holland tractors and give you first hand feed back. My experience with New Holland tractors is with the TW-20 which is definitely NOT a compact tractor. ....

what tractor to buy

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-03          60840

I'll toss out a few random thoughts.

One way of sizing a tractor is to reverse the process. First select the implements you need to do what you want, then look at the pto hp required for the most power-hungry one, then find the engine and transmission combination that will deliver that hp, then shop for tractors in that power range.

It is generally agreed when shopping that dealer support is as or more important than the brand of tractor you buy. You really can't go wrong with any of the top tier brands (John Deere, Kubota, NH, etc). Other brands, like Kioti, Century, Branson, etc. seem to make a good machine but their parts and service might be spotty in your area, and you may have to do some of your own repairs and service or wait a long time for parts.

I agree with Chief that hydrostatic transmissions make life easy, and the majority of small tractors are so equipped. My dealer said that if the current trend holds in a few years they won't bother to offer anything but hydrostatics.

Small tractors can generally do anything a large tractor can do, but it can take longer to do the job. A lot of folks face the situation where they initially have a lot of heavy work to do that requires a big tractor, but after the initial work is done a smaller machine may be more desirable. If this is your situation it may be worth it to either hire out or rent a big machine to quickly do the initial work, then purchasing a smaller tractor for the ongoing maintenance work.

Good luck with your decision!

what tractor to buy

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-04          60871

Most people do a bunch of analyzing, which might be better for learning about tractors in general than for buying them. When it comes to buying, there will be a point where an 'Ah this is the one' idea takes a hold of you. That idea almost always ends up being the best tractor for a person and the dealer has a lot to do with it. In the meantime things seem complicated and thinking goes around in circles, but you're learning about tractors.

In practice, 'one size fits all' doesn't work much better in tractors than it does in clothing. There also is no best manufacturer. All the big names and some of the smaller ones make fine machines. There always will be contractors for big jobs and small engine for small ones. Choice of a tractor mostly affects the mix of contractors and small engines and how much time it takes to do the tractor work. Owners as well as the property adapt to whatever tractor is available. Keep looking and the 'Ah this is the one' thing will happen.

On the other hand, tractors are expensive and you sure want to keep them busy, and to be busy they need implements. In addition to the other suggestions, I'd look at the on-going work and figure what is needed if the tractor is going to be started every week or so. Brushing may be done a couple times a year but finish mowing more often and the mowers are often different. Good chance the tires would be different too (Tires and size are the main choices in choosing a tractor). Are you going to be happy with a tractor that only has a rotary cutter for a year or so?

I'd think 4wd should be a definite and HST a probable. Glide, or power shift; or even my old synchromesh gears work fine for fieldwork and may even be preferable to HST. HST struts its stuff with loader work and tillers. Tillers because even the lowest gear may be too fast at PTO RPM. They also give braking and can be good on hills.

Despite my comments elsewhere about using my loader less and less, people do use loaders for everything imaginable. A loader is likely what keeps most compacts reasonably busy. Taking a hard look at a loader now might be good. Packages are easier and sometimes priced better. If you're looking at NH models, checking out super steer might be interesting. It does make a bigger tractor more nimble.

what tractor to buy

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-04          60882

Patti, have we been able to make things clear as mud? :-) Any questions? What have you decided so far? ....

what tractor to buy

View my Photos
Art White

2003-08-04          60909

Good thought brought out about your needs. Look at them, then move accordingly. I think you have more then enough horsepower for your lot size. Your brush-hogging at this point could maybe be done by a heavy finish mower and save some time and expense. 30 engine horsepower would or should do fine unless ou wanted a 6' hog. ....

what tractor to buy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-08-04          60920

I faced the situation of needing a larger, heavier machine for some work and a lighter, nimbler machine for mowing (to avoid soil compaction on the septic field). I decided to get the larger tractor and instead of buying a finish mower attachment for it I will spend that money on buying an inexpensive rider (cheap new one or good used one). The amount of lawn we will have to tend when we finish the landscaping is no more than 1/2 acre. In my case two machines seemed to make sense and the total cash outlay wasn't any more.

what tractor to buy

View my Photos
TomG

2003-08-05          60962

Real good comment from Chief. In spewing these fuzzy orientation ideas, it's very easy to forget to ask what the person who asked the question needs to hear. So now we've done that thanks to Chief. Hope the fuzzy orientation ideas helped though, and I think it might take a Will Rogers to make them much less fuzzy. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login