Go Bottom Go Bottom

Dog barks when others arrive at House Not me

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2019-05-09          198394

If anyone opens the garage door whether I am home or not the dog runs like a mad man sounds a blood chilling howling alarm as if the world is is coming to an end.

However I can take my car out of the garage and leave for several hours and return and he never makes a sound, and I find him curled up totally restful.

Dogs main sense is smell, maybe not showering enough :-(

Hearing is another strong dog sense, my guess is he recognizes the sound of my car and figures its only boring me.

When other cars approach the house he starts barking when they are over 250 feet from the house.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2019-05-09          198395

PS Happy Birthday Koda 5 years old today ....

View my Photos
Hogslayer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2019-05-12          198407

My daughter also had a dog named Koda. He was a black flat coat retreiver. ....

View my Photos
Hogslayer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2019-05-12          198408

Picture Link
Everything and Anything Dog barks when others arrive at House Not me

View my Photos
Art White

2019-06-15          198549

Mine barked no matter who it was. The way he barked to know him was different if a family friend or a stranger. He was a weimaraner and intimidating if you didn't know him for many. Had a lot of fun with him! Loved to travel and hunt as well as fish! lol ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2020-05-13          199142

Know this is near its birthday also but we had a mutt that knew which school bus our children road. There was about six that came by in a group and she would not begin running to the stop till the correct bus was near us. She also would open the gate to her fence to meet them and was the only time she would do that. Other wise she never bothered the gate.

Now my 8 month old dog can not hear me 150 feet away to come when called. Must need hearing aids. Oh wait, or the just received training collar. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2020-05-13          199146

Koda had his 6th Birthday Saturday. My daughter loves to dress him up and take pictures of him, she used to do the same to her brother when they were kids. Koda is very tolerant, and amazingly my daughters brother put up with her with a smile as she got the best of him in very very embarrassing garb. ....

Picture Link
Everything and Anything Dog barks when others arrive at House Not me

View my Photos
kthompson

2020-05-14          199148

Over my life there have been many dogs. Some the name still roles off my tongue and others no idea if they even had a name. Seems some companies don't realize the word "DOG or THE DOG or the Red Dog" was a proper name for dogs that were dropped off in your area and may be there a week or two years. At age 66 it tickles me to be asked what is the name of your first pet or dog?

The first dog I well remember it's name was a great dog for me and my family. A very smart German Shepard. We got him about the time our oldest daughter was born. He would lay in the sun and let her crawl all over him and you would think he was dead. Never worried about her playing outside due to Shadow. One of the funniest things ever with him was when stopped for license check on hot Saturday afternoon and he was tired and laying down in my pickup bed. The office stop a few feet away to say did not realize you had company or such. He admired Shadow as his head was beside my pickup window just as peaceful as he could be. Never did the office ask to see my license or other paperwork. Still not sure why. lol My Mom lived two houses from us about 300 yards. She worked second shift and lived alone. Shadow would be waiting on her front porch often when she got home. Never told me that till he passed. Amazing dog. It was a case the dog know more than the owner. ....

View my Photos
greyhorse

2020-05-14          199151

Just like the cows standing and waiting at the barn door as evening arrives. Dogs are great at Pattern recognition. Who is the one who feeds me? Who is the one who plays with me? Who is the one who takes for me a walk? Who is the one who responds to me when I try to get their attention so I can go pee outside? Who is the one who trains me how to behave?

That creates a tight bond of interaction between man and dog. And in these tough times that love between the two has been priceless. And why the rescue dog cages are empty !

Here's to mans best friend. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2020-05-15          199158

greyhorse, right good!

I have my first dog in few years. Last one was really our youngest daughter's first and then my wife when she moved out on her own. He passed probably 10 or
more years ago. My current one is one not at all like I wanted but he is the RIGHT ONE, no doubt. He is about 8 months old and maybe 50 pound a mix of Austrian Sheep Dog and Blue Healer...a great mix of colors and pattern on him He is at the point he is showing his herding instincts with people. I get tickled as he does it so calmly. If our grands wander he brakes and runs after them if able. He has even taken off after my wife when she went to walk away from the group around the pond. He circled her and she came back.

However he had gotten to the point he now worries about the next door neighbors chidlrens also. If he hears them outside he must check on them and then he has learned there are those in the small subdivision across the road who need guidance...so after lots of asking and checking this week got an electric collar for training. He thought they were only shockers but learned not true and not the shock as you might think. I did try the shocking on my self and it is more of a tingle at least at the level we are at. Only one short lesson with it and it was interesting to watch him. I used the shock a little but found was getting about same response with the vibration and tone. As I heard a trainer say, all you want is their attention back to you.

My wife has said I see it now, if I were to pass he would be in the house within a week. Our oldest daughter said Daddy will put him in the will, she looked at me and said oh no, he already is. lol

Did not know adoption was up, was told the shelters has stop taking them in. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login