Go Bottom Go Bottom

Any Llama Owners Out There

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-01          149794

Got my daughter a Llama yesterday. We are total novices with them and would appreciate any input from folks who have experience with them.

Our horses are getting some first hand experience with what NOT to do with a Llama. Jack (our new Llama) has a deadly aim and can spit some real nasty loogies.:-)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-01          149796

Chief,

A fella down the road from me about 30 miles has several llamas. The Sheriff is constantly receiving calls about the danged things running loose along the highway.

I've been to the guy's farm, and he keeps many different animals on the place. He says about his llamas, "I thought horses were hard on fences."

You really should do some reading on the subject of fencing llamas. I was considering one at one time, but fencing is something I've had my fill with over the years. Cattle are much easier to work with. Horses are much harder on fencing....and llamas are really a pain to keep in, especially when coyotes or dogs get anywhere close.

Joel ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-01-01          149801

If you still live around Clarksville Chief, I'm about 60 some miles north of you. I'm down to two right now, but usually have more around here guarding my sheep. They're instinctively anti-canine, but can get used to a family dog (if the dog lets them). The only time I got spit at was the first time I gave one a haircut. I've since learned to put a feedbag over their head when working in close-quarters situations like that. Don't take them long to settle down, once they get their own spew back in their face.

I don't understand Joel's observations though, it's BECAUSE of dogs and coyotes that I own them. My cross fencing is simple plastic posts and poly wire. Never ever had one leave the property. All the llamas I've owned respect my fencing even better than do the sheep. Not unusual for me to repair fences due to occasional sheep damage, but not once can I say I've ever repaired any llama damage. They get between the sheep and the threat, then use intimidation - size/braying/spitting - to make the predators move on to less challenging prey.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
Chief

2008-01-02          149824

So far Jack has been real good about staying in at least the new high tensile 5 wire fence I recently had put up. He is real good at finding holes in the old falling apart cross fencing.

Greg, I moved about 3 years ago and now we are about 100 miles south of Nashville.

The temps were in the 14 degree range this morning but Jack seemed like he was not bothered by the cold. He has about 6 inches of matted wool on his body and about 2 inches on his neck. The horse got the turn out blankets and neck coats so they stayed nice and toasty warm.

Jack and the horses are still working on establishing who is the "pasture boss" but so far it seems like Jack is the "boss man". ;-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login