Go Bottom Go Bottom

Who makes John Deere Oil and Is It API Licensed

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-16          64016

Thought I would post this reply email I got back from John Deere for anyone who had any questions about who make JD oil and what it is suitable for use in. Note that John Deere oil it NOT API licensed because they refuse to pay for the priviledge. Can't say I blame them for that. This question arose over on the TDR website about who made their oil. Though perhaps you all may be interested in John Deere's reply.

Dear Mr. Frazier,

Thank you for your message. We submitted your question to our corporate office and they responded with the following:

John Deere Plus-50 engine oil is tested to and meets and exceeds all the API service classification requirements. We do not pay for the privilege of putting the donut on the container.
We also test to and meet or exceed most all engine manufactures heavy duty engine requirements including, Ford for the Power stroke diesel and for Mack EON Premium Plus performance. This can be viewed on the Mack web site.

Plus-50 is a unique formulation that is blended by several different locations. One of the primary blenders is Chevron and is the blender for your area. Plus-50 engine oil is unsurpassed in heavy duty engine applications. It excels in reducing engine deposits, engine wear, dispersing soot, and resisting oxidation (which gives you long oil life due to not thickening under high heat).

Regards,
JDPOWER

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-16          64096

Chief not all oils base stocks are equal as all refineries are not equal. So JD is stating that different blenders are used in different areas of the country. Does not give me the warm and fuzzies about using JD oil. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-17          64128

I guess it might be logical if Deere had a contract with Chevron, and Chevron produced a product in several regional refineries concurrently.

It makes no sense to me that they would have several different companies making a given product.

I think I will stick with Shell Rotella.

Peters: I think viscosity plays a part in the leak-down of JD hydraulics. Do you think it would be safe to add a viscosity improver to the hydraulic fluid? ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-09-19          64302

I stuck with the Rotella synthetic as well. I just cant see buying another oil when I already have that in the garage. Its interesting that they dont pay for the donut. I have always been under the impression that they could void warrantys for useing a product that does not have the donut with the correct rateings. Go figure. Dave ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login