Go Bottom Go Bottom

How to change gear oil in a rotory mower

View my Photos
rich
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-18          47751

I bought a large rotory mower for the Kub L3000dt. This unit is at least 6ft wide and almost too heavy for the tractor to lift. My question; the gearbox does not have a drain plug and as such, how do I replace the gear oil?

Thanks

Rich

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
marklugo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-19          47798

Generally ot is not required. But turning over the mower or gear box removal is the only way to get the oil to flow out the way it came. ....

View my Photos
mainiak1

2003-01-19          47801

Rich

If the hole where you fill it is small I've used the pumps that come from a soap dispenser.Slide a small rubber tubing over the bottom the length you need and pump away. If the hole is big enough use a standard suction gun.
Hope this helps, works for me.
Norm ....

View my Photos
rich

2003-01-22          47967

No way to turn this beast over. It is big and heavy.

Rich ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-23          47982

Often there is one bolt on the flange where the drives go in and out that will drain the oil out or a mounting bolt. I highly recommend doing it every so often as here in the northeast they will build up with condinsation and cause failure. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-23          47993

Similar to Art's comment, some 50's cars didn't have differential drains either. To drain them, one of the lower bolts that mount the centre-section to the axle housing was removed. ....

View my Photos
rich

2003-01-28          48347

That is what I thought I had heard somewhere but I wanted to be sure before I try to remove bolts. Is there anyway I could tell which bolt might do the trick? Can't get a visual on them because they are up and under a lot of metal. Mabey I should consider getting a smaller lighter mower. Heck I might even decrease my mowing tine due to quicker turn times.

Rich ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-01-29          48356

On these old cars, all the centre-section mounting bolds went through the flange on the axle housing, so any bolt on the bottom would drain the oil. I can't say about mowers but maybe Art knows specifically. I would be aware that on a differential, removing a bolt does disturb the gasket pressure. I never had one develop a leak from draining it though. I also drained them by pulling an axle on the low side and letting oil come through the axle housing. ....

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-01-29          48358

Rich - If all else fails, do you have an FEL? When I sharpen my blades on my 6' cutter, I pull my tractor up to the cutter until the FEL extends all the way across it. I wrap a chain under the far side of the deck, hook to the FEL, raise it up until it stands on the side nearest the tractor, then carefully lean it back against my grill guard. That way I can sharpen my blades and oil the swivel points standing up with no danger of anything falling on me. If I wanted, I could pull the fill plug and drain the oil. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-01          56173

I was considering doing the same to my 72" MMM but it is a major pain to remove the gearbox as John Deere instructs. I am going to try using a device I bought that I use to change the oil in my boat engine. It sucks the oil up through the dip stick tube through a small plastic tube. I just have to pump the handle to creat a vaccum. The gearbox as plenty of oil in it but runs alot hotter than I like. Am going to try some Amsoil Series 2000 75W-90. ....

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-01          56180

CHIEF, those pumps for changing boat oil work great ,as long as you fill opening will except a garden hose. the one I have is threaded to screw right on boat dipstick.I think it's the same size as a standard garden hose. oh just reread your post mine doesn't have small tube . sounds like yours will work fine . might want to do it right after mowing will iol is thin. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-01          56187

I think that is what I'll do. Today I am doing the engine oil & filter change. I am waiting for a gasket before I do the transmission. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-03          56541

Wanted to get back to you on how things turned out with the Pella Oil suction changer. It worked like a piece of cake. I pulled about 12 onces of oil out of the plug hole which seemed to be pretty much most of the oil and I used one of those hand pumps you screw on the oil bottle in place of the cap. Sure beat removing the MMM and the gearbox! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login