Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ford 1210 4WD Front Axle Lube

View my Photos
Felix86
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-14          136886

I just got my 4WD front axle rebuilt with new gears. It came back from the service shop with 90W gear lube installed. With my old axle I had been following the owners manual and kept it filled with a Ford 134 equivalent(hydro). Which oil do I use? 90W makes more sense to me, just want a long life on an expensive repair.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-14          136903

I'm not sure anyone here can tell you what your dealer was thinking. Have you asked them why they didn't follow the owners manual recommendation? Maybe they were confused. ....

View my Photos
Felix86
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-11-15          136912

I called my shop and asked about this. Their shop manual calls for 90W gear lube. My 20+ year old owners manual says something to the affect of "refer to page 30 for oil type", page 30 mentions nothing of the 4WD front axle. The only mention of what type oil is in the rear, specifications page. Right now I am leaning toward 90W. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-11-15          136919

On front axles many have a choice. They are low speed and they often come with a hydraulic type oil from the manufacturer that is their spec oil. Many hydraulic fluids are in the 20 weight caliber that the manufacturer recommends like your ford oil but depending on spec's might be a 10 eight on upper end or with modified down to as low as a 5 weight. The alternative used is 90 eight gear oil and is recommended by most all manufacturers. This is the alternative oil used in older units which helps with seepage of oil in older worn units. ....

View my Photos
oneace

2006-11-15          136976

I always install 134. From the brand new to the 20 year old. Why? Because that is what the book called for. Will the 90w hurt probably not but in the winter when the oil is below freezing you are going to lose allot of drive power until the oil warms up. You figure the front dif lasted 20 years in your machine using the 134 why change now. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login