Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-08          166241

OK EW,
Today has been my Michigan day:
Help a couple from there on insurance.
Had waiter at Applebee’s from there.
Had clerk at Radio Shack from there.

Heard on the news there is about 25% unemployment in Detroit. Are things not improving any? Has Government Motors and all the clunkers not given the area any spark?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2009-10-09          166245

Today in the paradise of Ontario a truck-driver was fined $300 for smoking a cigarette in his cab. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-10-09          166246

WOW Kenny your timing is uncanny! Just last night a buddy here in Mitch-ee-gin claaed to ask (beg) me to come work him build a new car asembly line at the Mercedes plant in SC or NC. All for the grand per hour rate of $17+ an hour. He was geeked because that's decent money for him. Once I broke it down for him after taxes it will take him literally ALL day to make what I can in an hour--without leaving home. BUT he says you can work all the overtime you want! Really? I thought you were trying to make this attractive to me LOL--all that overtime goes to the gubbermint!

Anywho, Kenny that 25% is for Detroit proper, not the metro area. State wide it's something like 12.5%--more than double the norm. As far as people from here going there, what can I say--as you know I wanted desperately to be there but the economy is bad everywhere, right? Did ya ever get the guest room made up for me should I h-a-p-p-e-n to pop in?

Auer--what's the deal? I heard it on the local US news--but then all of a sudden no one is reporting on it? Is it possible that being a truck driver--and possibly an owner operator that the gubbermint considers his cab his "workplace"? And was that $300 US or Canadian? LOL

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
Murf

2009-10-09          166250

It's only "news" because the truckers are kicking up a big fuss about it claiming it's unfair.

Too bad, what's next, we don't need to wear a seat belt because it's our home not just our truck?

It's been the law in Ontario that you can't smoke in an 'enclosed workplace' for more than 10 years, an amendment to that law about 5 years ago extended it to all 'enclosed workplaces'.

In fact one of my sub-contractors was rather dismayed to find out when stopped by a DOT inspector that he could no longer smoke in his truck ever again, regardless of what time of day, what day of the week, or whether he was working or not!! The law says no smoking in a 'workplace', it doesn't limit that to work hours.

BTW, the law describes a 'workplace' as the following;

"“enclosed workplace” means,
(a) the inside of any place, building or structure or vehicle or conveyance or a part of any of them,
(i) that is covered by a roof,
(ii) that employees work in or frequent during the course of their employment whether or not they are acting in the course of their employment at the time, and
(iii) that is not primarily a private dwelling, or
(b) a prescribed place; (“lieu de travail clos”)"

So even a machine (tractor, mower, dozer., etc.) with a 4 post ROPS and a sun canopy or roof on it is an "enclosed workplace" in Ontario.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse as they say.

Best of luck. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-09          166252

Murf, can they chew? Wonder what the fine is for spitting out the window of a moving truck?

Jeff, Mercedes is in Alabama I think, BMW is in SC. FYI there were a few unmarked BMW used by our Highway Patrol donated by BMW. A friend said a lady from NJ said that was not fair. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-09          166253

EW, forgot about that spare room. Give me a half hour and will have dog house back up. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
Murf

2009-10-09          166256

Kenny, the prohibition is against "smoking" not tobacco.

The Provincial Police (like our version of State Troopers) here started using a Cessna to patrol the major highways last year. It records your speed, etc., then radios ahead to parked cruisers waiting on the side of the road to sell you your tickets to the Policemen's Ball. LOL

Talk about unmarked, how about invisible!

Best of luck. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-10-09          166258

Kenny--ruff ruff. Free food though right?
And I stand corrected; it was BMW. German. Bavarian. Parts is parts. NC-SC--states is states LOL

Murf--We've used planes for 30 or more years to patrol highways; 'copters are more prevalent. In fact there are 2'-wide white painted stripes on the highway for clocking/timing.
And maaaaan! I though WE had some strict laws.
Do your laws make allowances for being self-employed, conrtactor or a "farm worker"? Like in my case because I'm not incorporated (sole proprietor), I fall under the category of a farmer as far as OSHA laws are concerned which are very loose like noise exposure. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
Murf

2009-10-09          166260

Jeff, no paint lines required here, the Cessna is equipped with some pretty fancy hardware from south of the border, one of the States up-graded their electronics and we bought it.

The vehicle tracking stuff is basically a weapons guidance system capable of tracking over (they won't say exactly) 100 vehicles simultaneously. The actual speed measurements of those chosen for a road-side chat are recorded by a laser speed system as well as video-taped for court use.

Our 'OSHA' laws only exempt 'farmers' who actually farm. All the Health & Safety provisions only refer to 'workers' or 'employees'.

There have been several instances of self-employed people being charged for failing to provide adequate safety for themselves! LOL

The Goobermints position, and I agree with it, is that it costs the same to treat (with public healthcare $$$) an injured self-employed person as it does to treat a 'worker'.

There are however other instances where the self-employed get big breaks. The aforementioned healthcare for instance is funded by a 'employer health tax' paid by the employer as a partly wage deduction, mostly employer paid 'contribution'. So if you are self-employed and don't take a 'wage' your healthcare is free.

Best of luck. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-10          166269

Murf the line on if self employed and no pay your heatlh care is free...so how does the self employed get the income, does dividends work?

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
Murf

2009-10-11          166290

Kenny, the health care tax is a deduction from wages & a corresponding contribution by the employer is purely based on 'wages' either hourly or salary.

Money taken as dividends or drawings is not 'wages'.

Best of luck. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2009-10-12          166294

Auer;
A grain hauler friend of mine was caught smoking IN his truck while waiting in line to unload at a major grain miller here in Eastern Iowa. He got one warning, next time he could not unload there anymore. The problem solved it's self, he had a heart attack shortly after that, he doesn't smone anymore.
Murf;
I recently saw an ad, TV, magazine? Can't remember where for sure, but they had a number to call for info on how to stop your husband/son/boyfriend from using chewing tobacco. How about the ladies who chew? I don't know them personally, but a couple grain hauler ladies quiit smoking in line and went to "Cope". Probably their birth control method. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-13          166307

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwood | view 166294
Murf;I recently saw an ad, TV, magazine? Can't remember where for sure, but they had a number to call for info on how to stop your husband/son/boyfriend from using chewing tobacco. How about the ladies who chew? I don't know them personally, but a couple grain hauler ladies quiit smoking in line and went to "Cope". Probably their birth control method.

Hardwood, are you saying men don't mind chewing but don't want a women who does? Or does the tobacco juice being swallowed work as birth control? No idea about any where else but years ago it was very common for women to use snuff here and in the Smokey Mountains. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-10-13          166318

KT;
Someone said once that kissing a smoker was like licking a dirty ashtray. Might be the same effect with a lady cope chewer in a reproductive situation. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
Murf

2009-10-14          166326

Kenny, if they used snuff instead of smoking, did you ever wonder then why they called them the "Smokey" Mountains?

Should they have been the "Snuffy" Mountains? LOL

I'm with Frank, I'd certainly keep my distance with a gal that either smoked or chewed!! Blech!

Best of luck. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-14          166330

Frank and Murf, do you two think Men have better taste in the opposite sex than do the ladies? I mean think of how many men smoke or chew compared to the ladies.

Don't tell me ladies are willing to accept lower standards than men do. :( That could hurt my feelings.

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
Murf

2009-10-14          166331

Far be it from me to hurt your feelings Kenny.

I'll leave the "gimme a hug" part to Jeff though.....

Or maybe that's just with Frank......

LOL

Best of luck. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-10-14          166337

Me and jeff "Huggin" doesn't sound good, stern handshake, yes, huggin, NO!!!
Our one daughter married into a famuly of huggers, don't matter if you never saw them before or not, there all huggin us. Must be my aftershave, since I switched from kerosene to Aqua Velva. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-15          166347

Murf, Frank some people are easy to love...long distance.

I really was thinking about my wife's standards that she shopped with. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-10-16          166363

Kenny so...your wife "shopped" you, eh? Musta been slim pickens--to use a sout'ern sayin'. Who's your buddy, buddy? Lol

Franky switching from kero as toilet water...errrrr...cologne...should you have caught fire---that would have given new meaning to "he's a real flamer". Pooof! ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-17          166381

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 166363
Kenny so...your wife "shopped" you, eh? Musta been slim pickens--to use a sout'ern sayin'. Who's your buddy, buddy? LolFranky switching from kero as toilet water...errrrr...cologne...should you have caught fire---that would have given new meaning to "he's a real flamer".Pooof!

Been a while but think Aqua Velet might burn better due to high alcohol content. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-10-19          166406

If you mean "velvet" lol ----they still sell that down dar? ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
Murf

2009-10-20          166422

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 166406
If you mean "velvet" lol ----they still sell that down dar?

I don't think so Jeff, you'll have to take your own supply down with you when you go. ;)

You might want to take an extra bottle or two of Old Spice too, I hear those low country gals really like that stuff.

Best of luck. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
kthompson

2009-10-20          166431

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 166422
I don't think so Jeff, you'll have to take your own supply down with you when you go. ;)You might want to take an extra bottle or two of Old Spice too, I hear those low country gals really like that stuff.Best of luck.

Come on Murf, don't tell him all the secrets. Next thing you know he will figure out he ought to take a bath at least monthly. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
earthwrks

2009-10-21          166452

Kenny and franky I was thinking of you (yous and kenny would say) when I used the bat'room at the mickey d's---it had a privacy wall for the pooper (me). Sorry about no caps--using new phone to type. ....

Hey Michigan

View my Photos
hardwood

2009-10-21          166453

Mickey D's? Wowzer, you don't have indoor plummin at home?

Typing on your phone, Ok can you type, talk, eat a sandwich, and steer the Dodge all at the same time now?
I'm lucky to walk and chew gum at the same time. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login