Go Bottom Go Bottom

Supreme court to hear 2nd admendment

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-20          148507

Just got word the DC case will be heard. This will be a most important case for all citizens that enjoy the freedoms we have in this country.

U.S. Supreme Court to Hear First Second Amendment Case Since 1939

Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Fairfax, Va. - The United States Supreme Court today announced its decision to take up District of Columbia v. Heller-a case in which plaintiffs challenge the unconstitutional gun ban in the nation’s capital. The District of Columbia appealed a lower court’s ruling earlier this year affirming that the Second Amendment of the Constitution protects an individual right to keep and bear arms, and that the District’s bans on handguns, carrying firearms within the home, and possession of loaded or operable firearms for self-defense violate that right.

The NRA will participate in this case through briefs as a friend of the court. Oral arguments are likely to take place in early 2008.

In March, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit held that “[T]he phrase ‘the right of the people,’ when read intratextually and in light of Supreme Court precedent, leads us to conclude that the right in question is individual.” The D.C. Circuit also rejected the claim that the Second Amendment does not apply to the District of Columbia because D.C. is not a state.

The decision marks the first time a Second Amendment challenge to a firearm law has reached the Supreme Court since 1939.

--nra--

Established in 1871, the National Rifle Association is America’s oldest civil rights and sportsmen's group. Four million members strong, NRA continues its mission to uphold Second Amendment rights and advocates enforcement of existing laws against violent offenders to reduce crime. The Association remains the nation's leader in firearm education and training for law-abiding gun owners, law enforcement and the armed services.

Did you know

Since 1991, the number of privately owned firearms has increased between 65-70 million and the nation's total violent crime rate has decreased 38%. The nation's murder rate has decreased 43%.

Copyright 2007, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-20          148532

Harvey,

I'm anxious to hear the outcome of this case, not that it will change my view on firearms ownership one danged bit.

In my opinion, and in the opinion of our Founders, firearm ownership cannot be banned by any level of government......because the Creator gave us the right to defend ourselves from our attackers.

In this particular case, the subject has to do with banning modern HANDGUNS. It does not pertain to rifles, shotguns, or even black-powder pistols.

The U.S. Supreme Court is being asked to decide if it is unconstitutional to ban any particular weapon, or class of weapons......and we all know the Federal Government's position on Class III weapons, otherwise known as machine guns.

Most people believe machine guns were outlawed for sale in the U.S. This is not the case. Any person who may lawfully purchase any other firearm, may also purchase machine guns, even today. The only stipulation to this, of course, is that for every controlled device, or weapon, there is a 200 dollar fee which must be paid prior to taking possession of the device or weapon. (A silencer is an example of a controlled device. A fully automatic M-16 is an example of a controlled weapon.)

The issue at hand here is whether or not the District of Columbia has the power to make a certain class of weapons illegal for sale or possession to its citizens.......even though there are no federal limitations on this particular class of weapons.

Joel ....

View my Photos
randywatson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-21          148577

Oh yea,
I hope the court does the right thing, and makes yet another statement the second amendment means individual right to "keep and bear".

Just like the first amemdment and 4th amendment and third amemdment applied to indivual rights not any "collective" right the gun grabbers would have the general population believe.

What do you think the national press would do if anyone tried to regulate their right to free speech as a "collective" right which needed to be regulated and controlled by the government.

Somehow a right you don't enjoy is easier to allow someone else to limit when it does not affect you.

But they just dont get it.

A wise man once said, if you give an inch they'll take a mile,

here is to those who believe more gun control and regulation by the government is needed

paraphrasing

"today we are a safer nation due to gun regulation and confiscation" - Hitler.

"Gaurd against any person who would take away your freedom in the name of security" - Jefferson ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-21          148589

Still like:
If guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.

I know, those who would will not understand it. kt ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-21          148590

KThompson,

I don't know where this came from, as the author gives credit to someone other than himself.

"Remember, if the second amendment read, "A well-fed militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed," in no way could it be interpreted that only the National Guard has a right to eat."

I couldn't help but grin.

Joel ....

View my Photos
pelletfarmer

2007-11-21          148591

"Just like the first amemdment and 4th amendment and third amemdment applied to indivual rights not any 'collective' right the gun grabbers would have the general population believe."

Let's not kid ourselves. Whatever individual rights we have, rest upon the right enumerated in the 2nd. At least in the political sense of rights, that is.

Not only is the sentence completely unambiguous--main subject, main predicate--it even includes an explanatory clause telling us why!

If you believe in the Rule of Law, and especially if you believe in individual freedom, then there is no question of what the 2nd means, both in spirit and in letter.

It is /the/ factor which singularly distinguishes America, in theory and practice. America is about who is sovereign, the individual or the State. Back in the old days, when folks were free to produce and trade, Americans produced like nobody else ever. Now we leave it to the geniuses in Govco, as if they can do it better than us. So can they?

Me, I'll keep my weapons. Personally I prefer dealing by wits, but I recognize that not everyone agrees!

"'today we are a safer nation due to gun regulation and confiscation' - Hitler."

Nah, completely different. That was the Fatherland; this is the Homeland.

jk ....

View my Photos
cutter

2007-11-21          148592

The NRA just sent me a mailing to become a life member at a great discount. I missed a chance a number of years ago, I simply could not afford it, so I have remained an annual member. Now I may take them up on it, this may be the time to push the issue in the courts.

What surprises me is the number of people I know that own guns, hunt and don't belong, or even bother to vote in elections. ....

View my Photos
pelletfarmer

2007-11-22          148599

"What surprises me is the number of people I know that own guns, hunt and don't belong, or even bother to vote in elections."

I stopped voting years ago when I began taking it as an implicit endorsement of mob rule. I could see voting in a Constitutionalist system--IOW agreeing to the concept of Rule of Law--but only one which was strictly limited in the enforcement of the few rules that are passed by the mob-rule system. Sorta like the United States in its founding days. The Fed could have laws, but none could trump the States. And the States could have laws, but none could trump the freedom of an American citizen. It was all focussed on the sovereignty of the individual.

Besides...once a government begins not to follow its own Constitution, then there's no Rule of Law anyway. You have a renegade government in that instance.

My dilemma is this. For twenty years I've yapped that the only two people I could honestly support as President are Walter Williams and Ron Paul. And darn if one of them isn't running this time, as even a major Party candidate.

For me it's a very tough moral dilemma, and I don't have a lot of those. So for now I've just put up some signs and choose to watch the show. I think when the money goes funny next year and people find out that Dr. Paul happens to be an expert on that very topic--even wrote a book years ago--then things might change a bit.

250 year cycle...wouldn't that be something?

jk ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-22          148600

Pelletfarmer,

I don't often meet people like you on the internet, but I'm damn glad you showed up here.

If you would, even if just this one time, go cast a vote for Ron Paul, I'd be greatly indebted to you, Sir.

Ron Paul is the first constitutionalist to run for office since Thomas Jefferson.

Though it's never good to put one's faith in any fellow man, Ron Paul is hands down the best person on the ticket. I could use your help, and I'm asking for it.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family, Sir.

Joel ....

View my Photos
yooperpete

2007-11-23          148640

Cutter:

I just renewed my NRA membership for 5 years. They discounted the rate to $100.00 and I got a 5 year membership pin and a watch. ....

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-11-29          148844

Here's a thought,

Ted Nugent for President, everyone knows where he stands on the second amendment and he is not afraid to say so.

Here's another thought,

shame on all the "officers" who participated in the unconstitional seizure of lawfully owned and possessed firearms in New Orleans after the flood. Too bad they did not have the gonads to stand up and tell the superiors who issued the orders to seize said guns to take a hike.

Would have saved a lot of court time and let the "politicos" know we were not just a bunch of mindless uniforms carrying out unconstitional orders.

One good thing that came out of that fiasco was several states have now reaffirmed that during a natural disaster no one can lawfully order police to seize firearms of lawful persons.

And higher courts are ruling in the favor of the citizenry of New Orleans who had their rights violated.

At least after the fact someone is seeing in a clear light

View my Photos
randywatson

2007-12-06          149008

USA today POLL Second amendment question latest results shows 98% responding think second amendment does give individual persons right to bear arms 1% no, O% undecided.

41450 responds

guess thats why the liberal politicians changed their tactics and started calling gun control measures safety programs...yea right. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login