Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cub Cadet 7200 Glow Plugs Burn Out

View my Photos
jaker65
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2013-06-02          187168

well i am not sure if anyone has had this problem before but here it goes.

i have a 7200 cub cadet with a 3 cylinder mitsubishi engine, and every time i go to put new glow plugs in the engine, as soon as i turn the key, they burn up. no longer good. i have replaced the timer and relay for them.

i even tried putting in my own switch with a wire coming from the battery to a in line fuse, then to a switch, then a wire from the switch to the glow plugs and i would get the fuse shorting out and blowing or if i just take a direct line to the switch and take out the inline fuse, they short out my glow plugs.

i need some serious help here, could it be possible that the glow plugs could be touching somewhere in the head and shorting out? i am out of mind here, i have had this problem for 5 years now.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
minimac
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-06-03          187191

I don't have that machine, it seems that your glow plugs are staying on too long and burning out. My tractor has manual glow plugs integrated with the starter switch that I hold on glow for 8 secs manually. You might have an auto control that has failed letting the plugs stay on too long and burning them out. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2013-06-03          187193

Jaker,

First off welcome to the forum.

As for your problem with the glow plugs the best way to diagnose any sort of a short-circuit like that is not by burning up the glow plugs set after set but instead use a car headlight bulb the old-style sealed beam units.

It doesn't matter how much power you apply to a headlight bulb the resistance coil will only take a certain load and you cannot overpower a headlight bulb.

However in theory a glow plug it is really only a headlight with no glass around it so I don't understand how you can be burning up glow plugs.

Is it possible that your battery or alternator are defective and your tractor does not have 12 V in the system?

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
jaker65

2013-06-03          187200

well i dont think the timer is the issue, i replaced both timer and module for he glow plugs and there was no difference. the glow plugs only stay on for a short 3 seconds and then turn off.

as for the voltage, the battery is staying at 12 volts and when running the alternator is at 14.4 volts. i even left the meter on there for a while thinking somewhere it might change and i did not see a difference or change in voltage.

the headlight idea sounds good. how would i go about hooking one up. i have a old round head light with only two leads on it. am i correct to assume you would hook up a hot wire from the glow plug wire and then ground the other end out where the plugs would be grounded?

thank you all again for the advice. its more helpful than the bull international dealer. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-06-03          187203

It really sounds like you have higher voltage there than the glow plugs are designed for. "Verify" the voltage they are designed for and the voltage to them. You may want to take a new glow plug and hook it up to 12 volts with test meter on it to see if it will last if powered a few seconds. ....

View my Photos
jaker65

2013-06-04          187216

i am sure the plugs are 12 volt. on the sides they say 12v on them. i will double check for you though. as for goin to a 12 volt source. that wasnt a problem. i took the top and connected it to a wire goin to the positive side of the battery and grounded the side of the plug with the threads that go into the engine head on the negative side of the battery and no problem. they lit up and i even held it there for 5 seconds. no problem at all. to make sure i even did it a couple times with the same plug with 5 second intervals.

i just wish i knew electrical systems better. im going to try the light bulb trick here in about an hour and will let everyone know how that goes. gotta get some brain food in me first. thanks again. ....

View my Photos
jaker65

2013-06-04          187219

okay i have an update for you guys.

i did the light bulb trick today. i took the hot wire to one side of the bulb and grounded it to the threads on the glow plugs where it screws into the head. the light come on, and went out properly. i grounded it on all 3 plugs at the same spot. the bulb did not burn out at all.

i also got the numbers off the plugs. they are as follows

Brand name is NGK
08Z2
Y724U
8V

i think i should apologize and now that i see it, from my best guess that it looks like the plugs could be 8 volt glow plugs. i could be wrong but its my best guess.

the meter did say 12 volts though coming from the hot wire that goes to the plugs. hope this information helps. thanks again. ....

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2013-06-04          187222

One of several NGK glow plug decipher sheets. I think they only make 12 and 24 volt glow plugs from the sheets I have seen. ....

Picture Link
Cub Cadet Cub Cadet 7200 Glow Plugs Burn Out

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-06-05          187234

If I am reading all the numbers correctly then his glow plugs are for 12 volt.

Just wondering, how did you determine the glow plugs were burnt out? If I followed it correctly you have correct voltage glow plugs, so the voltage is not burning them out it would seem the only other option is the system is not cutting off or is coming on at other times without you selecting it.

edited due to my misreading the code and then catching the mistake after posting. kt ....

View my Photos
jaker65

2013-06-05          187257

i came to determine that the plugs were burnt out as soon as the next time i started the tractor when it cooled down. at that point i pulled out the plugs and checked them on a 12 volt source and they didnt work.

its as soon as i screw them in, turn the key, they come on, and they burn out. im really lost at this point. ....

View my Photos
minimac

2013-06-05          187259

Seems like you have been suffering with this problem for a while and from what I have seen you are not the only Cub Cadet owner with the problem.

How often if ever are you using starting ether to start the engine. If so are you only doing the starting ether with the glow plug disabled?

Have you done a compression test on the engine? ....

View my Photos
jaker65

2013-06-05          187260

I have done the starting fluid trick for a couple years now. Tractor only has about 300 hours on it. Have not checked compression on it bein the tractor is young yet. I imagine I would have to pull the injectors to do the compression check correct me if im wrong.

I was wondering. Could the tips of the glow plugs be touching inside the head causing them to malfunction? When I crank the engine over without using starting fluid, all I get is smoke. Not so much as a sign of the engine trying to start.

Seems like my old caterpillar d4 with the pony engine was easier LOL. There is a wealth of knowledge here on this forum and I thank you all for your input. :-) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-06-06          187263

I have read back through all you comments and stumped.

If read all correctly you had replaced the glow plugs more than once.
Each set has done about the same, burn out first time used.
They are only getting voltage designed for (12 volts).
You tried install switch to be sure power was cut to the plugs and not coming on while running. Test that even with head light and it cut off proving power was off. (Bulb was still working right and had not burned out?)

A couple of more questions: have all the glow plugs been the same part number? Are they coming from the same parts source? Are they all the same brand? Have you looked very carefully (even with magnifying glass) for physical damage to them when pulled out? Are you sure you are not some how damaging them when installing, such as socket cocked at angle or tightening them to (if possible) where they crack).

If this has happened say with three sets doubt you have been stuck in a bad batch of glow plugs. But would start with being 100% sure have the correct glow plugs. It is not impossible incorrect ones were even installed at factory. It is not impossible there is a mistake on part number where you are buying them or even in the material they have.

May I suggest you do a search for the engine in your tractor and see if you can find parts break down giving the specs on the glow plugs from Mitsubishi itself?

Now I mention something an mechanic told me a few years back about spark plugs and have had it to happen on small engines . If they get flooded it can kill the spark plug. Well diesel fuel and gas are not the same and spark plug and glow plugs are not either. But wonder if they are getting soaked with diesel (or starting fluid) before the engine fires could that some how short them out? No idea.

Verify the proper glow plugs is what I would do first. ....

View my Photos
jaker65

2013-06-10          187298

hello again,

sorry for not responding sooner. as for the bulb test, yes the bulb worked in each hole. the bulb never burned out at all.

the glow plugs have been the same part number and have all come from the same parts source (bull international). i did inspect the glow plugs for damage but found nothing wrong. straight as an arrow, and no physical cracks or damage.

i am sure they are the correct part number for the tractor. but then again the idiots at bull international could use a few more brain cells. i will have to call or stop in and double check the numbers.

i am in touch with a guy from staufer diesel here in pa. its a short drive from where i live, but that company came in and did work on our marini road mill's deutz engine. i seen on their van they serviced Mitsubishi engines so i am currently picking their brain at it. nice people and have a wealth of knowledge in their data base. i will also double check the parts number with them as well. ....

View my Photos
jaker65

2013-06-10          187299

okay after doin some more research, i have found that the glow plugs are the correct ones. i traced it online to messicks and they show the correct part number as well as the number printed on the glow plugs.

View my Photos
Murf

2013-06-10          187300

You say when you try to start the engine without starting fluid all you get is smoke, it won't start.

This is an important detail, very important!

What colour is the smoke? Black, white or light grey? Lots of smoke or just little puffs?

Don't be shy with your answers, we're all willing to help but I suspect if you went to the Doctor and said nothing more than "It hurts." He'd need a little more detail too.

BTW, even in really cold weather a modern diesel will fire without starting fluid or glow plugs without much cranking. I can't imagine using ether in anything but an emergency.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
jaker65

2013-06-11          187308

you are correct, if i dont use any starting fluid, the engine will not start nor will it even show any sign of it trying to start.

if i continue to crank it, and not use any starting fluid, it will puff out grey smoke.

i agree in most cold weather diesels should start. i checked the antifreeze level, and it doesnt change. stays the same level. so head gasket and cracked head might be out. when the engine is running, there is no lack of power and no miss is detected nor any change in the exhaust such as a extra puff of smoke.

View my Photos
GRIZZLYJO

2013-09-23          188023

I have the 7265 Cub with the 26 HP Mitsubishi engine. Back when my tractor was new I had issues with the glow plugs burning out. I had to have my glow plugs replaced twice. I was told by the dealer that there were some defective glow plugs. Also, if my memory serves me correctly read on here that some of the glow plugs were defective. I haven't had this problem for for a awhile so I guess they installed some good ones.

View my Photos
minimac

2014-02-22          189117

Hey Jaker did you ever resolve this mystery. Be great to know how the story ended :-) ....

View my Photos
seancw

2016-01-06          194299

I'm new to this so go easy on me please.
I had the same problem and it is costly. After changing the relay and the timer and still burning the glow plugs I dug deeper and discovered that the system appeared to work perfectly, but the plugs were energized again once I turned the key to the start position. I should have caught it sooner because the glow plug light came back on when I turned the key to start. I installed a relay that breaks the circuit when the key is in the start position and Bingo, they last. ....

View my Photos
jaker65

2016-01-31          194419

seancw
i just had the glow plugs burn out on me again. pretty sure i did it this time. i tried to jump the tractor with my truck since the battery was near dead. so im sure the extra voltage might have spiked it. but enlighten me on what you did and the parts you used. i am willing to do the same to my tractor if its making yours last longer and actually kill the glow plugs. personally i dont see why they have to be used at every start up. even after the engine is warmed up. god i do hope you are still around to answer my cry for help again. ....

View my Photos
seancw

2016-01-31          194420

I used a relay that has a normally closed position and wired the glow plugs to this circuit. When I turn the key to the on position the glow plugs get power ant the orange light comes on. When the light goes out I turn the key to start and I ran a wire from the start position terminal on the ignition switch to the new relay which switches it to the open position which guarantees no power can get to the glow plugs except when it needs to be going to them in the heat step. ....

View my Photos
mahindra

2018-03-10          197566

I know this is a old post, but these tractors are still out there with this problem. I have a Mahindra 2015 tractor, same as the Cub Cadet 7200 from looking at the shop manuals. I have one with just 70 hours on it used very little. Long story how I ended up with it. Would not start about 2 weeks ago. Did a lots of forum research, came down to 2 bad glow plugs. Old glow plugs were NGK-724U, these are 8 volt glow plugs quick glow that are being hit with 12 volts from the relay. These GP are about $39 to $49 from the dealer. After about a week and a half of searching internet forums for a cheaper replacement I found one that said Champion CH144 would work. These are 10.5 volts and not rated as a quick glow plug. Needs about 6 seconds to heat up. The after I ordered them from All State Ag Parts for $14 each plus about $12 shipping. I was able to find that a NGK-Y114T 10.5 volt will replace the Champion CH144. The NGK Y114T is on Amazon for less than $10 with free shipping. I bypassed the relay and install a 12volt 60 amp push start button off Amazon for $10. Press it in for 6 seconds turn the key on to start and away it goes. Will repost if they burn out with this setup. Only buy these tractors if you are planning to not ever resale them. They have no resale value, stick with the green paint. Hope this helps. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login