Go Bottom Go Bottom

Volvo Display problems

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-17          175199

I am not sure if I asked for help on this here a year or more back but regardless: had computer display on mini excavator that gave me real head aches. If it did not display the controls would not work and often it would not display correctly when first cranked if cold. Asked heavy equipment people and no one had real idea other than new computer display which had just been replaced by Volvo before I bought the machine (my guess for same reason).

So this summer had to replace the battery. Guess what that problem was solved. The best guess I and my tractor person had was voltage was lower in the old battery than the computer needed to operate properly and it was not the engine getting warm but the battery getting charged enough for voltage to hold at level needed. It was not due to disconnecting the battery as it has battery disconnect on it and that was always used when leaving the machine.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Volvo Display problems

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-11-17          175205

Don't wanna bust yer bubble there bubba, but it might just a co-inky-dink. ....

Volvo Display problems

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-27          175380

My old northern friend, It might be but so far about 50 starts since then and still working properly.

Jeff, thought about you this week, kept thinking you might show up. A couple of years back you invited yourself for Thanksgiving and yet to show. ....

Volvo Display problems

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-11-27          175381

Well it takes the fun out of FREE food when I have to bring my own! Besides I turn my nose up when I hear there's gonna be chitlins.

I'm jis' saying ya'all.

Starting is 50 times? Huh? That can't be RUNNING it 50 times---otherwise you'd have it done a l-o-n-g time ago! ....

Volvo Display problems

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-11-27          175382

Reset circuits can be very sensitive to voltage levels and voltage rise time at power up. Reset and power-up logic has become one of the major PIAs of working on electronics so problems in that area wouldn't surprise most EEs.

Volvo Display problems

View my Photos
earthwrks

2010-11-27          175383

At the risk of sounding stupid from eating too much turkey---yeah that ship has sailed---what are you saying about Kenny's situation? ....

Volvo Display problems

View my Photos
kwschumm

2010-11-27          175384

Well, I don't know anything about the Volvo display board.

But every new board design I work on seems to have problems with the reset circuit where parts on the board don't power up properly except under certain circumstances. Sometimes new boards have to be run off of regulated bench power supplies until they get the kinks out. Often voltages too low, power domains don't power up in the proper sequence, voltage is out of regulation, voltage doesn't come up fast enough, etc, etc. The reset circuits on a lot of boards seem to have a gray area where if the voltage is low it works, if the voltage is high it works, but if it's somewhere in between the behavior is erratic.

So I guess what I'm saying is it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the Volvo display panel wouldn't power up correctly under certain circumstances. ....

Volvo Display problems

View my Photos
kthompson

2010-11-27          175386

Ken, tractor dealer who I bought the battery from told me when told him what happened he had seen that before but no idea on what kind of boards. It makes sense in a way the issues with the control panel not working was voltage related for it did vary with how long the machine had been setting and thus the strength of the battery and when it did not come up properly it almost always did by the time it was allowed to warm a few minutes if run at fast idle which of course would have raised the voltage by then a little at least.

Jeff, it might be happen so but since the problem has gone away with the new battery I am glad to give it the credit. As to your taste in food...be careful any link sausage you eat, you never know what the casing is! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login