Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ultraedit Favorite Editor

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-07          149984

I have been using this programmers editor for years. I am still on Ultraedit 9.1. I tried the current release but found I was so used to the layout of the current version.

I think they still offer trial versions so you can be convinced that you like it before you buy. I use Eclipse for Java projects, but I use Ultraedit most of the time when I am not compiling a class. UE has a very simple and reliable FTP link as well, it is what I use to maintain the TP site.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-07          149990

Do they have an eclipse plug-in?

I tell ya, editors are a sore point with me. The tools I'm using today are much worse than they were 20 years ago. Open source tools are a detriment to productivity, and the code generation is horrible. With the standard Eclipse editor you can't even define your own custom key macros, or learn macros, or do columnar cut and paste. Pretty pathetic IMO.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-08          150034

I am on release 9, current version is v13.2. They don't seem to have an eclipse plugin. I have not used eclipse in a while, but I thought they had an option where your editing could be done by another editor, have to check that out, though I think that would mess me up, and I'd rather do one or the other. The eclipse editor is intelligent in that it lists all java methods for objects you type in, not so in Ultraedit. Each of these have there uses.

What editor do you use? ....

Link:   Ultraedit Site

Picture Link
Everything and Anything Ultraedit Favorite Editor

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-08          150048

Right now I'm limping along with the totally lame eclipse editor. It's amazing how feature-LESS it is. I really don't need syntax highlighting, which it has, but decent macro capability is a necessity, which it doesn't have.

I used vedit plus on QNX, but when they made it work under Windows they removed the built-in windowing functionality that worked so well. Split window editing with simple keystroke commands is much faster than mouse based editors. It just slows you down to have to remove your hand from the keyboard to use a mouse, touchpad, etc.

Eclipse will work with an outside editor but, you're right, that messes a guy up, and it defeats the point of having an integrated environment. There's an editor called SlickEdit that has an eclipse plug-in but that editor is a mess. I tried it - can you believe that the Slickedit installation is something like 265MB in size? For an editor? Yeesh. It totally corrupted Eclipse and wasn't that great an editor anyway.

My favorite editor of all-time was Edit*2000 but that company is defunct. That used Brief-like commands which become amazingly intuitive in a short period of time.

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2008-01-08          150050

I think the strength of Eclipse is its ability to morph itself into anything you can dream up. I really need to "force" myself to use it more because so many of the interfaces to things are now Eclipse based.

There was a period of time where I was using linux so much that I preferred to us a windows version of the "vi" editor. I finally surrendered to windows based editing when I found UE.

I believe UE supports macros, though I don't use them.

I agree with your comment on over weight SW products. I hate it when a product is so huge that it almost impossible to install.

A great example of that is IBM Websphere Portal. I once tried to install it. After 8 hours of loading and running the install it finally failed with some inane useless message. When something is that huge it raises the red flag that 10,000 people added their stub code to the product and most of the code is not even used, and it is grossly inefficient to boot.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2008-01-08          150053

When I need to edit something outside of eclipse I use vim. It's actually pretty good! I haven't looked for a VI plug-in for eclipse, maybe that would fix me up. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login