Go Bottom Go Bottom

Mower for JD4300 and 30 acres of pasture

View my Photos
redmessage
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-05-09          38382

I currently have a light duty 5' rotary cutter and it takes forever to mow the 30 acres of pasture (Iowa grass with some fox tail, no saplings). Questions:

1. Will the JD4300 w/ FEL handle a 6' or bigger cutter? How big?
2. What about the two rear wheel cutters? Better or worse? Does the height adjustment run off of hydraulics?
3. Are other types of cutters better?
4. What brands are recommended? (I'm not rich)

Thanks for your advice.

Redman

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
pbenven

2002-05-09          38385

JD's web site lists a 6' model that is available for this tractor, so I don't think it would be a problem. Howse is a less expensive brand of cutter, but since you're only cutting grassy stuff it would suit your needs. The economy model is listed on their site for 742$. I posted a link below. ....

Link:   Howse Implements

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-09          38387

Redman;
I understand your problem. I had a small brush cutter and it took some 16 hrs to cut my 13 acre pasture. Luckily I have a larger tractor and purchased a 7ft BH. I am down to 4-5 hrs with out pushing the equipment.
Q1 - According to the eariler post the 4300 will handle the 6ft. My 7ft Bushhog 287 needs 55hp PTO min. so no on bigger. In fact I would be hesitant on the 6ft. My 955 has the same HP as the 4300 and I know it would not handle a 6 ft well. It might spin it but you may gain width for reduced speed. (The 287 is on another tractor)
Q2 - From my experience I think the dual wheel give a better cut and are less prone to scalp. This does not change the hp requirements.
Q3 - Flail mowers may not gain you width but may allow greater speed. Someone else with experince with the flail mowers maybe able to answer that. A finishing mower will handle the cutting if you do not allow the grass to get out of hand. You could go larger than 5 or 6 with the finish mower. This would depend on your terrain.
Q4 - You need to establish what type of mower you need first.

My recommendation would be to find an older larger tractor and larger BH. I like the 7ft. Most 8ft have 2 rotors and 3 transmissions with the inherent added complexity and maintance.
Peters ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-09          38388

Question 2 sub section 6, Yes you can have a remote auto height adjustment on the back wheels of a 2 wheel unit.
Are you in Law? ....

View my Photos
Redmessage

2002-05-10          38425

Peter, thanks for the info. No, I am not in Law, I am in pigs, but my wife is in horses, thus pasture.

Redman ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-10          38430

Just trying to get you all your questions covered. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-10          38432

Hey! Watch it with the name calling. Some of us used to be pigs.
In terms of the Howse stuff, the couple of things I bought (sight unseen mail order) were pretty shoddy. If I were thinking about buying anything Howse I would clap eyeballs on it first and give it a real good inspection. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-10          38434

Mark,
Let me see, In my opinion anyone that can make a real go at farming these days has to have some real intelligence. In Law?

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-05-10          38435

It certainly does not require many smarts to be IN LAW enforcment. But then this is one of those mornings when all those broken body parts are talking to me. ....

View my Photos
BillBass

2002-05-10          38440

I run a 6' Howse light duty behind my JD 950 with 27 PTO hp (same as the 4300 I believe). No problem. Mowing pasture grass I can run in 3H if it not too tall. but that is faster than I normally want to go. I generally run in 2H. If it is green, heavy, and tall, I have to slow down, but usually not less than 1H unless I let it go to long between mowings. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-05-10          38441

Mark;
I am not too sure even within the Bar. If the standards are 1 in 100 are lawyers they set the bar fairly low.
It may be that I am wired differently than a lawyer but I can't say that I have met one that impressed me with his intellect.
Most of my interaction has been with patent lawyers, but I have had an even poorer impression of the trial lawyers. I had a friend that was a member of a high power law firm and got dragged to the staff parties for a few years. Certainly rather be talking to the local farmers.Eric ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login