tractorpoint.com - The leader in Tractors from Compacts, to Utility, to Full Size Tractors! Kubota, John Deere, New Holland, Kioti, Case/IH, and Others. Keywords=Compact Tractor, Kubota Tractors,  Kioti Tractors, JD, John Deere Tractors, New Holland, Case Boomer, Used Tractors, Classifieds, Dealer Directory, Tractor Pictures / Images
  parts   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up


Forums > Active Threads > Popular Compact Tractors > New Holland Tractors

Post Message New Holland Tractors


 Go Bottom
____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
RichieC
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16 Denver NY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-18          151446


I have a TZ 18 w/frontloader & recently added a backhoe.

Since installing the BH, I have been experiencing problems wiith keeping the snow chains on.

No matter how tight I make them, eventually they ride over the tire. I use spreader to keep them snug but they still walk off the wheels. I have turf tires w/ diagonal treads so I even tried putting the chain within the treads...doesn't help much. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
DRankin
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 5113 Northern Nevada
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-18          151447


I am not sure how chains "walk off" a tire.... can't visualize it. But..... when you add a back hoe the tire profile will change due to the added weight.

Have you tried adding more air pressure to the tires?

By spreader do you mean the rubber bungee things that snug up the chains? ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
harvey
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1545 Moravia, NY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-18          151449


Richie

R U using the brakes to turn? Many times the side ways slide will start to creep the chains off the tire. For some odd reason once they start off the tire they will continue to work off even on level ground.

Been there a few times and it always seems like it happens in the worst possible place and weather. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
RichieC
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16 Denver NY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-18          151454


The tires are loaded since I cut grass on some steep hillsides. The equipment dealership where I had the BH installed increased pressure. Yep...chain spreaders are the rubber bungee type cords. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
RichieC
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16 Denver NY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-18          151455


Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey | view 151449
RichieR U using the brakes to turn? Many times the side ways slide will start to creep the chains off the tire. For some odd reason once they start off the tire they will continue to work off even on level ground.Been there a few times and it always seems like it happens in the worst possible place and weather.


Nope, not using brakes to turn. As you mentioned, they'll even begin to move off the tire even on level ground. Boy are you correct about having it happen in the worst weather. Got caught half way down my steep, ice,snow covered gravel drive last week during a snowstorm and one chain slid off. Couldn't drive it down to the main road since the chain would've damaged a few hydraulic hoses. Had a difficult time getting that chain off since the links were frozen in place. Kind of a drustrating problem. Maybe I need to adda few links to the chains. Dealer claims he never had this problem before??? ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
harvey
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1545 Moravia, NY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-18          151456


Richie I can't recall loosing a chain on level always on side slopes or skidding a tire thru a turn.

How far over the sides of the tires do the side links lay? I would expect the side chains should be at least 1/3 of the sidewall from the tread. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
RichieC
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16 Denver NY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-18          151460


Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey | view 151456
Richie I can't recall loosing a chain on level always on side slopes or skidding a tire thru a turn.How far over the sides of the tires do the side links lay? I would expect the side chains should be at least 1/3 of the sidewall from the tread.


Harvey, the chains are short as they lay on the sidewall which may be the problem now that the BH has been installed. To compensate for the added weight the dealer increased tire pressure. Do you think I should add two more links on each cross chain to bring the chains lower on the tire? Thanks for your replies! ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


Tractorpoint Parts
Fast Delivery!
Low Prices
Tractor Hydrualic Pumps for sale
Hydraulic Pumps
____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
harvey
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 1545 Moravia, NY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-19          151461


I would try that maybe even 3 or 4. Get your self a chain tool. I/we repaired chains for years with a cold chiesel, hammer and anvil. Chain tool is just so slick.

My #9 picture shows mine about 1/2 way down tires. Mine are homemade from used town truck chains. I'd take coffee and donuts up there and beg their old worn out chains. My fronts are a tad longer they are tuff on the tie rod boot so I only run them when I have to.

Some of my X chains are welded together to get lenght, their chains are worn bad and broken. All mine are longer than probably needed. But I don't think long hurts. But as I stated B4, I have shucked 1 a couple of times sliding sideways and still putting power to the wheels.

Bottom line when adding; These are not high speed precision machines. Chains don't need to be purty. I use bolts to bolt cross links together. I weld them together. I have used store bought repair links. Use what ever works and is cheap and easy. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
RichieC
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16 Denver NY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-19          151464


Quote:
Originally Posted by harvey | view 151461
I would try that maybe even 3 or 4. Get your self a chain tool. I/we repaired chains for years with a cold chiesel, hammer and anvil. Chain tool is just so slick.My #9 picture shows mine about 1/2 way down tires. Mine are homemade from used town truck chains. I'd take coffee and donuts up there and beg their old worn out chains. My fronts are a tad longer they are tuff on the tie rod boot so I only run them when I have to.Some of my X chains are welded together to get lenght, their chains are worn bad and broken. All mine are longer than probably needed. But I don't think long hurts. But as I stated B4, I have shucked 1 a couple of times sliding sideways and still putting power to the wheels.Bottom line when adding; These are not high speed precision machines. Chains don't need to be purty. I use bolts to bolt cross links together. I weld them together. I have used store bought repair links. Use what ever works and is cheap and easy.


Thanks again Harvey! I have seen cold repair links on the shelf at my local tractor supply shop so I think I'll use them. [OR...This may even give me an excuse to buy an arc welder and install the links old school]. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
kthompson
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5242 South Carolina
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-19          151466


Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieC | view 151464
OR...This may even give me an excuse to buy an arc welder and install the links old school].



Hey Richie, change "excuse" above to reason. Will hold up better in the discussion phase to buy. :) kt ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
RichieC
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 16 Denver NY
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-02-19          151467


Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 151466
Hey Richie, change "excuse" above to reason. Will hold up better in the discussion phase to buy. :) kt


Very Good!! I like the way you think. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
Murf
Join Date: Dec 1999
Posts: 7211 Toronto Area, Ontario, Canada
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-19          151468


Personally, I subscribe to the 'golden rule' theory of discussing such items......

The guy with the gold MAKES the rules.

If that doesn't work, I always have alternative sleeping arrangements, most of which are pretty comfy. ;)

Best of luck. ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
earthwrks
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 3853 Home Office in Flat Rock, Michigan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-19          151472


Kenny have you even seen or touched snow? ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
kthompson
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5242 South Carolina
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-20          151477


Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 151468
Personally, I subscribe to the 'golden rule' theory of discussing such items......The guy with the gold MAKES the rules.If that doesn't work, I always have alternative sleeping arrangements, most of which are pretty comfy. ;)Best of luck.


Murf, just how are you and Deputy Dog doing these day? Could not pass on that my friend. I know he has his own bed. So it is comfy is it? kt ....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo


____________________________________________________________________________________
snow chain problem

View my Photos
kthompson
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5242 South Carolina
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-02-20          151478


Quote:
Originally Posted by earthwrks | view 151472
Kenny have you even seen or touched snow?


Yep. Built snowmen. Driven on snow covered roads. Missed school due to snow. Our area had show on History Channel about the major snow storm of Dec, 1999 (about 3 months after Hurrican Hugo) not sure right off but like 20 inches. Why we had about 3 inches 3 or 4 winters ago.

Most driving on snow covered roads I will admit were visiting family in Ohio. Fun. Most fun was it was only for a few days and I came home. kt

....

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo



Return to index    Go Top


Share This