Go Bottom Go Bottom

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
Bill H
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-14          5056

This may sound crazy, or just plain lazy, but does anyone have an implement that will trim around the trees without tearing them up? I've got my place looking pretty good now, except for the brush and grass around each tree. When I try to get close I usually wind up tearing up some shallow roots, or worse, gouging the tree. I'm talking a lot of trees. I know I will probably have to break down and actually do some real lawn work: walking around with a weedeater. Just thought I'd ask if there is an easier way.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
Keith

1999-06-14          5065

I guess next thing you will be asking if there is someway to use your tractor to trim the tops of all your hedges?? ;-) Man, get off that tractor and do some real yard work like you mentioned. I promise it won't hurt too bad!!! ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
Bill H

1999-06-14          5067

I tried it on the hedges but it cut them too low? ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
phil

1999-06-14          5070

Hey Bill- In the spirit of Keith's reply, another low-tech suggestion (don't you hate it when you've got the toys and someone suggests a simpler way to complete the task?I humbly suggest some sheep - 4 would probably be more than enough, 2 might even be plenty. We've got 6 - 2 yearlings and 4 ranging from 5 to 12 weeks. They're in a fenced area created with 350' of Electronet fencing while we clear for pasture. The fence is moved weekly (takes 15 minutes) 'cause they totally finish everything there is. I don't have to mow, and they don't have to stay in the barn.Which means less time on the tractor. Which means..........If only these were the hardest decisions we had to make.Have fun. ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
Norm

1999-06-14          5071

Well, it will hurt - but only for a day or two. Age will determine whether it is the first day or the second!!! ;-) ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
Norm

1999-06-14          5072

Hey that's great. It sounds like you are on to the way to get a classic tractor in mint condition and low hours. All you have to do is wait!! ;-) ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
Bill H

1999-06-14          5073

Now I thought with about 100 trees on my property that this was a legitimate question. Plus I am planning on putting in an orchard of pecan and fruit trees. That's a lot of weedeating... Actually I like the sheep idea. I have been thinking about some goats for a while but do not have the outer fence secure enough. The movable electric fence might be the best answer. But I still need to figure out how to trim those hedges. ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
Big G

1999-06-14          5074

Better solution. Buy some Round-Up, and spray a 12" circle around each tree. No grass, no need to hit the tree with the tractor, and no need to walk around. Do it once a year. Just be sure to protect the tree - bark, leaves, roots.If you don't like chemicals, buy some Typar Housewrap (Dark colour) and put a 24" square or circle around each tree, and pile some bark, wood chips etc. on it to keep it down. Water gets through, weeds can't.Beats walking around with the weed whacker.Anyone tried invisible fencing on sheep? Works for my neighbours dogs, thought it might work for sheep as well. Don't want electric fence wire strung around my yard, but invisible fencing might be just the ticket. Are sheep smart enough to figure it out?Big G ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
phil

1999-06-14          5080

Regretably, we need to use the ElectroNet fence as much to keep predators (ie. coyotes) out as to keep the sheep and goats in. In terms of looking at the fencing, we've found that from 75' away you can barely see it. And this is with white fence; there's a green/gray version that I suspect is even less obvious.As far as the invisible fencing goes, seems like a real interesting idea. As to whether the sheep are smart enough to figure it out - you know the old saying about "The grass is always greener.....". I suspect if we let ours know , they'd wait 'til we left the barn and would proceed to roll around in hysterics. Yeah, they are smart - they just try not to let on too often ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
Mike

1999-06-14          5087

Yes,there is a better way,we have a local fellow who has patended a string-trimer that mounts to the outside edge of a 3-point or a mid mount mower.I don't own one,but I think this set-up works very well.I can't even tell you how it's driven,but I work with this mans sister and I will get imfo from her and pass it on to you shortly.I've seen these trimmers work around fences with barb wire and they do a slick job.I'm sure trimming around trees would be a snap. ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
Alan

1999-06-14          5095

Sounds like a 4-point weedeater. ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-06-15          5115

Bill,Be careful in chosing a goat. Ours would struggle to eat leaves from a treearbavidas (sp?) when it had +5 acres of lush green pasture grass. The reason we got it, is we heardthey are great protection for a small sheep flock and such. Living in N.E PA, we don't really have predators other than maybe a stray dog every now and then. Back to the subject at hand.You may consider checking out one of those D R Trimmer Mowers they've be advertising latelyThere are essentially a push mower with what looks like a heavy duty weekwacker end in front.I don't think you are being lazy. I can vividly remember taking a summer job as a kid, weedwacking around grave stones for 8-10 hours a day. I have full intentions of NEVER setting foot in there again, or at least until I take residence there. I might be able to find a web site for you. ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-06-15          5119

I found one site that may give you a few ideas. If you would really like to use your tractor, becauseof your 100 or so trees. I think I would try to fabricate a mount for this unit in my loader bucket and set the bucket at 4-6" or so.It might be a bad Idea, but like anything, you'll never know till you try.http://www.countryhomeproducts.com/thedrtri.html ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
Mike

1999-06-16          5220

Sorry I took so long,the company name is TF&G MFG.Phone 660-646-2654.They are working on Web Site,but are'nt on yet.All I can tell you is the unit is oil driven,will mount to about any mower deck.Might be worth a phone call,I,m sure they would send you some imfo.Hope this helps. ....

3-point Weedeater

View my Photos
CaseyR

1999-06-16          5221

I would guess that you could girdle and damage a tree, particularly a young one, even with a string"Weedeater". You might want to make sure whatever youget has a guard that will hold the string, plastic cuttingblade, or whatever, safely away from any vulnerable bark. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login