Go Bottom Go Bottom

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
bmlekki
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-19          91302

35 Gallon Poly
Just wondering what you guys think of this tank for diesel.

Also does any one know what the minimum amount fuel an oil company will deliver off-road fuel?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20547&item=4313932356&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Link:   35 Gallon Poly

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-19          91304

I would think that you need a container that has a vented cap. A container made for hauling water would not have this nor the pressure rating for hauling fuel. I'm sure, if handled correctly you could get by. I'd hate to see you burn down your building or destroy some equipment because something weird happened. Northern Tool & Hydraulics sells some tanks that are rated for fuel. TSC sells the aluminum treatplate style made by DeeZee. They are nice but pricey. Handpumpes, etc. are available from both places. TSC also sells a vent cap for $31.19 (08-28212) that fits tanks with 2"NPT female threads.

Most companies that deliver fuel charge by the mile for delivery. The more you purchase at a time the better. If you can haul it "to and from" it would be better. Most states have laws regulating hauling in auxillary fuel tanks, the breaking point limit may vary from state to state. Also don't know if you need some sort of registration to buy off-road tax exempt fuel. ....

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
AnnBrush

2004-07-19          91307

You might be better off using a 55 gallon steel drum and filling it with 35 gal. They are cheaper, all have the standard 2" bung which most fuel pumps carry fittings for, and they all have a secondary 3/4 NPT fitting which can be used to fit a vent cap (opposite the 2" bung on a 55 gal tighthead). Most of the time you can pick up 55 gal drums for free if you know someone with a business that uses them. My company buys pure vitamin E oil in them and I have 2 of those now filled with off road diesel. Depending on where you live most states do not require registration to buy dyed diesel, just don't get caught with it in your pickup. Good luck. ....

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-20          91437

The tanks you found have materials spec'd for water storage. The tank material itself may not be a problem but there is also PVC and rubber involved in the bulkhead fitting.

You will be much happier with a tank designed to store and dispense fuel. ....

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-07-20          91440

DRankin, Thanks!

I liked the idea of using a plactic drum. I found one that can hold diesel. I was wonder if there would be any problems with connecting a pressure reg. and pressurize the drum to a low 5-10 psi and connect it to a fuel hose and valve. ....

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-07-20          91448

Sounds like a Murf question. ....

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-20          91457

You rang.

I regularly pressurize them to more than 10 psi, sometimes on purpose, usually not.

I have discovered that they look pretty funny at 35 psi.

Note to self: When using the air regulator to 'wife-proof' tire filling, reset it before using it to 'pump' liquids again.

Best of luck. ....

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-20          91458

A word of caution here though after noting that, like myself, you live in an area where the temperature can be quite low.

The plastic drums can become brittle at low temperatures.

If you use much fuel in the winter either store the drum in a heated area, as I do, or have an alternate method of fueling up when it's very cold.

If you have a long enough hose so that you do not have to work under the FEL, you can just lift the drum with the FEL and let gravity do it's thing.

Best of luck. ....

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
bmlekki

2004-07-20          91463

Thanks Murf,

I was thinking of keeping inside, so that should work well. I just have to figure out if I should try to fill it with off-road, or the stuff at the pump for $1.79 gal.
hmmmm ....

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-20          91466

For what it's worth, in most jurisdictions if you keep your receipts and file a form at the end of the year with the tax people they will refund the 'road tax' on the purchases.

If you buy 'regular' diesel and then need to use some in a road vehicle you don't have to worry about getting caught with coloured fuel in your vehicle.

If you do use some in your vehicle, and then 'accidentally' submit the receipt and get the taxes back you would of course not accept the refund.

Ohhhhh, that was funny one, not accept the refund!!!

Best of luck. ....

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
Billy

2004-07-20          91467

Another word of caution if storing in a heated building. You might want to check with local codes/laws and your insurance company. Any flammable liquid is dangerous enough and especially when stored improperly.

The off-road versus taxed is strictly up to you. If you feel you don't pay your fair share of taxes, then buy the taxed ;) ....

Fuel Strorage Tank

View my Photos
Murf

2004-07-20          91470

A very good point Billy, mine is stored in a sealed drum at the opposite end of the shop from the furnace, and where I do my welding, etc., and I check it regularly for any signs of leakage, spillage or fumes.

Diesel fumes, especially in still air like indoors, can be a real threat, they are heavier than air and will creep along the floor. If they build up to a concentration that will support combustion and there is a source of ignition say good-bye to that building.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login