Go Bottom Go Bottom

Pulling a trailor w JD4200

View my Photos
Shawn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-06-01          4584

I'm going to be pulling an 18ft double axle utility trailer (w/ surge brakes) with my JD4200. The problem is, the draw bar on the JD is only about 10" above the ground, whereas the trailer hitch under level conditions is closer to 20". Is there a true 3 point hitch connection available? I've seen the simple bar types that fit only between the lift arms, but I want one that is stabalized by the center connection. Is there a down side to pulling with the 3 point versus the draw bar?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
A.J. Wodack

1999-06-01          4586

Shawn,I don't know if they sell that type of hitch or not, but I made one using 4x4 sq tube for my top link and a bar for my lower, welding a plate to accept my ball. Works great on my 3 point, and it adjusts to how high you want it. I've pulled my 24 foot flat bed with it with no problem. ....

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

1999-06-01          4587

There is a company headquartered in Burnsville Minnesota called Northern Tool and Equipment. Their catalog features an "adapter that turns your three point hitch into a versatile 2" receiver. The item is designed for category 1 tractors. The item # in their catalog is 12469-C121. The most recent catalog I have lists the item at $199.99. Their toll free catalog number is 1-800-556-7885. They also have a web site. www.northern-online.com ....

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

1999-06-01          4602

I looked at the Northern Hydraulics 3 point trailer hitch. At $199 or something like that it is too rich for my blood. After you buy it you still have to come up with a receiver hitch and ball. I also looked at a set of clips that can be used to stabalize a regular draw bar. My independent tractor mechainic and implement dealer stocks them but admits they don't sell. To gimiky for my taste. Like AJ, I made my own. Used 3" angle for the cross bar and ran a 2" tube vertical to catch the top link. I ran a length of 4" channel THRU the angle and the 2" tube goes THRU the angle and the channel. Took an evening of drilling and filing to make this Chinese puzzel but it sure is a neat example of obsessive compulsive fabrication disorder. By passing the channel THRU the angle I was able to mount a 2" ball on one end and a 1 7/8" ball on the other. I have trailers with both sized hitches and I can pull one or the other by reversing the hitching bar. I got the basic idea from a two part boom pole one of my neighbors fabricated. He had the same type of "Tee" with a boom pole that replaced the top link. I am going to make one of those next. ....

View my Photos
Paul

1999-06-01          4603

Shawn I suffer from the same obsessive compulsive fabrication disorder that Steve has. I made a simple inverted T out ot 2 1/4" square tubing. with yokes to accept the pins on each side of the lift arms. (like they should) Now the cool part is that I also have 2 arms that attach with large t-handle bolts the nuts are welded underneath. works as a forklift. I have moved pallet of feed and side by side refridges as well as the overwhelming task of taking the trash down to the road on a pallet, it sure beats carrying them. This whole project cost me $15 including the ball. And took about 1 1/2 hours to complete. plus your trailer doesn't hit your Ag tire lugs anymore.Let us know how you do. ....

View my Photos
Randy

1999-06-01          4605

Image deleted: Please check Mike Simpsons page for details (built by Andy Boursy, Hat's off to you Andy Nice Work!...Webmaster Dennis)

View my Photos
Andy

1999-06-01          4609

Randy, I am the one that made the hitch in the picture you posted. You should not post pictures that do not belong to you without permission. ....

View my Photos
DougC

1999-06-01          4611

I am also a newbie here, but i thought that using the 3 point to do pulling is not recommended becauae the load istied in above the back axle. I seem to recall something about this being bad for two reasons. 1) impacts the ability tocontrol the load on hills 2) It is possible to upset the tractor backwards if the load causes the tractor's front tires to raise and the back end keeps commin forward.Number 2 probably relates more to stump removing or log moving but.... an 18 foot utility trailer sounds like it could get loaded up real good.Would any of you see this as an issue? ....

View my Photos
A.J. Wodack

1999-06-01          4612

Nice hitch Randy! Puts my hitch to shame! ....

View my Photos
Mike

1999-06-01          4613

I don't know the stats on the subject, but have been wondering about it also. I've been wanting to move my horse trailer with my tractor, but have been worried that it would flip. We have moved them before, but with a much bigger tractor. Do the manuals say anything abut a towing or tounge weight limit? ....

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

1999-06-01          4614

Think your comments were addressed to "Shawn," the original poster. As noted in my post, I have already made one. A little different from the one Andy made, which is very nicely done, mine is serviceable none the less. Wish I had a digital camera and the know how to make photos appear on my posts. ....

View my Photos
A.J. Wodack

1999-06-01          4616

Doug,I think one needs to use their heads when they load any trailer weather it's on a vehicle or a tractor. My 24 foot flat bed weighs a ton empty, about the biggest thing I put on it that was moved with the tractor was an out building that was 12'x8' that needed to be moved, I have no idea what the building weighed, the move was around 100 to 150' from it's last location, the travel speed was 5mph if that. The load was over my dual axels, and had no problem with the move, loading and unloading, well that's another story. Now if my load was towards the front of the trailer, I can see where the weight distribution would be wrong and could cause the front wheels to come up. I had no hill to go up, it was all flat. I felt it was safe to do this move, if I didn't think it was, I would have found another way. Slow and easy, use ones head is my advice. ....

View my Photos
Steve Hansen

1999-06-01          4617

I use my tractor to pull relatively light loads. For example, I use it to pull my unladen tandum axle trailer to and from it's parking place in the South Forty. I also use it to pull my wood trailer in and out of the woods. The most I ever carry is a half cord and I don't go very fast. Finally, I use it to pull a small utility trailer around my place when I am picking up rocks. I have not had any problems. I find the three point hitch convenient to use. I can back up to a trailer and slip the ball under the hitch and simply pick up. Just as easy to unhitch. I dont think the trailers put as much weight on the thee point as a rotary cutter in the raised position. Bottom line - not an issue as far as I am concerned but please take it easy! ....

View my Photos
A.J. Wodack

1999-06-01          4621

View my Photos
Shawn

1999-06-02          4638

To Doug and MikeDoug, normally I would agree with you but on the 4200, the lift arms are attached below the axle. Since the center hitch only acts to stabilize the trailer ball (keeping it from rotating), I would not anticipate towing with the 3 point would cause the tractor to "rare". Mike,The 4200 manual shows a max tongue weight of slightly less than 800#. It also shows that the lifting capacity of the 3-point is much greater than this. This also may be another reason it may be OK to pull using the 3 point. Your thoughts? ....

View my Photos
Jeff

1999-06-02          4640

I did not find a hitch in their online store but I saw what you are describing in one of their stores in Decatur Texas(The Tractor Supply Company) for less than a $100 Kick myself for not buying it now here is their online addressthis can tell you their nearest location to Youwww.tractorsupplyco.com/index.htm ....

View my Photos
Randy

1999-06-02          4674

Andy,Hey, I think that the post that I made was took the wrong way. The pic wasfrom Mike's Tractor Page "http://www.his.com/~msimpson/tractor/default.htm". Idid not mean to represent this pic as the hitch that I have made.Sorry for any misleading information and using the pic without your consent.Randy ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login