Go Bottom Go Bottom

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
nosteiner4me
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-27          148779

Burning wood for couple weeks now and love my wood furnace!
I sold a wood burning insert last year due to not being able to heat my entire house. It would heat an area just fine but the colder areas would cool the heated area once the fire burned down, so i would load the thing all the time and felt married to it, think i touched it more than i touched my wife! I then picked up an indoor wood furnace for $2400 and installed it myself and purchased some duct and hooked it up to my main furnace. It is an add on system and when i am away my main furnace will run as normal, but with wood in the wood furnace, my gas furnace will never come on at all.
My gas bills were 400-600 a month, now with the wood furnace $20-30. I load it in the morning and do not touch the thing until 9-10pm to load for the nite. It keeps 5600 sq ft 68-73 degrees.
If you really want to save money for the long term with minimal labor, then get one of these things. Mine is an Energy King wood furnace that puts out approx 160,000 btu
per hour max. I am really amazed what this thing does and it doesn't smoke like an outdoor boiler.
Again if you burn wood and want to heat everything in your house, get an indoor wood furnace, you will be wasting wood and time if you don't. Also the pieces you cut can be larger, 27 inches or so and 12 inches in diameter.
Also wish everyone on here a safe burning season and always double check your settings for the nite!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
mobilus
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-28          148803

Thanks for the info...no doubt I'll install one if I build again. ....

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
kthompson

2007-11-28          148812

There is something about wood heat that nothing else matches to me. I do like the smell. Like the cutting of the wood and splitting also. Now the lifting, ashes and such I do not miss. But there is no warmer heat. kt ....

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-11-28          148817

I agree wholeheartedly! I started our fire on Thanksgiving Day and it will more than likely stay lit until Spring. As I cut each piece of wood, I think of the savings to my bank account. Then, as I load the wood into the fireplace insert, I do it again. The price paid in cutting, handling wood and ashes is nothing compared to both the monetary savings involved and feeling of independence in this one area of providing for my family. Besides, I love coming in out of the cold and backing up to the fire... ....

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2007-11-28          148818

Wood heat is such an even warm heat! But i do need to humidify the air and use a large vaporizer and fill twice a day. Without it, you can just tell that the air is very dry and your throat feels scratchy and dry. Its worked out well, just need to get a really nice looking water container, wife hates the look of vicks plastic container sitting on the kitchen counter!! ....

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-11-30          148887

I put a stainless steel pot-like thing on top of the heater itself, and as it heats up and evaporates, it humidifies the air. And I agree, the difference is profound. Without the humidity, it feels colder than it is. With the humidity, it is very comfortable. ....

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2007-12-01          148892

Mobilus.....that reminds me...When i had an insert, i used to do the same thing with a cast iron like large bowl with a glossy enameled inside to put water in and it also came with a decorative lid. This one was nice since the water didn't rust the inside of the cast iron like some others. I used to use this to humidify the air by placing it on the corner of the insert but since i won't be using it and it doesn't work with my wood furnace.....
Who wants it??????
All it costs is the real need for the thing. Will ship out next week to the needy not the greedy. Just email me
and will get it out to the first email i get.
Oh by the way....just got a ton of wood from a landscape guy that was going to sell it but doesn't have time....and gave it all to me!!!!!free....has to be 20 cords or more!!! ....

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
mobilus

2007-12-04          148948

You are just too lucky...

But, you're missing the fun part! Yeah, right! ....

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-04          148955

I had the same issues until I installed a 'whole house' humidifier on the side of the duct next to the furnace.

I leave the furnace blower running on the low setting non-stop so even when wood is the principle heat source the humidifier still works great.

There is an adjustable humidistat that pokes through the duct wall and turns the humidifier on and off based on the RH (relative humidity) of the air going through the furnace and according to the level the humidistat is set to. There is a 1/4" copper line connected to the house water system to supply it with water as needed.

Best of luck. ....

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
nosteiner4me

2007-12-04          148956

Mobilus...yeah the fun part of cutting the stuff is all done for me. I still have to split some of it. Its all grey looking stuff..some is year old, most is 2 years old.
Most will fit in the furnace as is. What a nice fellow. Even had the wife loaded some trailers saturday with me.

murf... I have that on my regular furnace cold air return now but i do not have a cold air return duct on the wood furnace. I just have the wood furnace with the 3 speed blower 1400 cfm,1600cfm,1800cfm connected to the heat runs on the main furnace and yes i run my fan on the wood furnace all the time to get the most heat output. Think some heat was always wasted if you ran it from the thermostat on and off. Did you connect your wood furnace to your cold air return and heat runs on your main furnace? ....

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
Murf

2007-12-05          148975

In my case the wood furnace is in the workshop out back (my picture # 2), in the house an airtight insert (nearly visible in my picture # 7) heats the house, both because of efficiency and house design, to the point where the furnace doesn't really even come on if it's going.

Even though the wood insert runs nearly non-stop, I leave the blower of the forced air system running also, this makes a huge difference in equalizing the air temperature, as well as keeping the dust, etc., down since it gets trapped in the electronic cleaner on the furnace.

Best of luck. ....

BURNING WOOD NOW

View my Photos
TumbaDowns

2009-06-03          163162

wood heaters are the way to go and if your place is like mine i have more trees than i could burn in 10 life times. however not all are good burning, take for instance cypress pine, a hard wood that because of its resinous nature burns quickly so you are always feeding it, and the resin can build up in the chimney, and it has been known to catch alight causing the house to catch fire, so a point to watch, with resinous fire wood. what do you do with the as? I collect it, when i have enough to fill my fertilizer spreader, i put it on my paddocks before cultivation, a good source of Potash (potassium Carbonate)good for plant growth. especially in poorer soil area. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login