Go Bottom Go Bottom

Who Makes the Best Chipper Period

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-03          58787

Who makes the best pto chipper? Trying to learn about them.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-04          58814

I'm sort of playing devil's advocate here, but what I learned about them is that they are very expensive (even the ones without hydraulic feed) and they also aren't all that fast.

I looked at some used ones and then figured that I could take utility trailers of brush to the dump indefinitely and spend less time and money doing it. We get plenty of material for composting from leafs and needles that do fall. However, our Township does have three landfill sites and no tippage fees, so dumping is close and free. Having said this reminds me that I do have a brush pile from last summer still waiting for me to get around to it. If I had a chipper it probably would already be in the compost pile.

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-04          58828

You have some good points there Tom. I was thinking that they are really expensive but I was thinking about the possibility of using one for the land scaping business. We end up with a lot of branches and scraps of wood that I was thinking we could mulch rather than push into a pile and burn. Figured the customs might pay for the service and have a nice pile of mulch to boot. Like I said, I am still learning. Lot of "gee wiz" "that would be nice" ideas that haven't paid off so far. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-05          58880

Always tough this small buz stuff. What I learned in ten years of my sideline sound and lighting buz is that the jobs that pay well take a lot of very expensive equipment. If I had that equipment then I had to keep it busy or savings bonds pay better and without having to baby-sit musicians either.

After some ego inflating years of working touring and regional bands I found that the meetings and seminars niche worked better with my day job. If I didn't have days free to promote the buz I couldn't keep the heavy equipment busy. Meetings just took a lot less time and equipment.

It strikes me that there could be a business idea based on a chipper. Maybe marketed as sort of an environmental idea. I say this because even my wife who doesn't like mechanical things at all encouraged me to get a chipper because she likes the idea of composting. Somebody must be tired of having a dozen black plastic things and still having to dispose of leafs. Maybe some people would like a compost pit constructed and maintained. Mulch itself is cheap enough that I don't imagine people would pay enough for having their prunings reduced to mulch to pay for a chipper but maybe there's something to a composting buz. Of course around here there are fire bans or burn permits are required for most of the season so maybe the buz could be disposal rather than environment. People in a nearby town were up in arms because the town required use of degradable plastic bags for their annual clean-up week. Of course the town didn't tell residents in time and then stores didn't have any bags. The town did relent, but the disposal buz could have been big. Don't take me seriously, I'm just doing a bit of armchair buz thinking to see what pops up. There are some pretty good small buz discussions in the archives.

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-05          58882

Chief, I thought you were selling deeres for your local dealer! I didn't know you had change or moved or maybe I was reading into something more than what was said. Anyway, look for one with power feed rolls, they are more money and you did not set a price for goals. Some do have good blower units which could load a truck or just disperse back into the woods or where ever. That should get you started. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-05          58888

Art, I did that for awhile when I was on active duty. Then came the deployment to Iraq which pretty much took all my time. I just recently retired and the tractor business is not a good place to be. I have steadily been building up business doing lawn care/landscaping and was considering the chipper for the reasons Tom eluded to. Burn bans make limb disposal tough for home owners. I am in the thinking about it stage anyway. Being self employed gives me the flexibility to work through some medical issues I am working through as well. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-05          58890

You can pay less for a high volume dump trailer than a good chipper. I bought a Troybilt chipper a couple years ago for $1k at Lowe's. I am sure I could have bought a high sided 6x10 trailer for that price.

Then I made the same discovery that Tom spoke of: It takes all day to chip up a the same pile of stuff that would require only an hour to load up and take to the dump.

So I guess it comes down to mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter. ....

View my Photos
JFarms

2003-07-06          58942

I bought a used TroyBilt Tomahawk a few months back. It looks similar to the Bearcat except for color and the price. Built like a tank. I have trouble finding "organic" compost meeting the CEO's specs, so the chipper has helped and almost everything on the property gets chipped, shredded and composted. It does take time the quality of my compost has skyrocketed. Course I also just got chickens and they're adding more nitrogen. But smaller pieces to compost and chicken manure seem to be a winning combination. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-07-06          58951

The chickens would help and so might some lime. I dug a pit about 12' x 8' x 2' a few years back. We've been putting unshredded leaves and pine needles in pit late fall, mounding it up several feet above grade and covering it with soil. Some nitrogen fertilizer and lime also are added.

I turn it over a few times during the spring and it seems like there's always a yard or two on the bottom that's ready for use by fall. I add the compost to garden in the fall, which makes room for the new batch of leafs that are about to drop. Works pretty well but I do have to keep sticks and twigs out of the pile and a chipper/shredder would let me use more material and speed up the composting.

View my Photos
RidgeRunner

2003-07-22          59931

DR Chipper has come out with a new 3 point hitch mounted chipper. It is around 1700 buck delivered. They say it has more more they their 18 HP gas unit. They claim it can chip a 41/2 to 5 inch branch in about 30 seconds.. I have 20 acres with lots of trees and branches...would be nice to chip them up. ....

View my Photos
gschester

2003-07-25          60132

I am getting a Kubota B2710 and am looking at getting the Salsco 824 chipper for it, also. I am trying to find out what other options exhist, I am looking at Woods, Bearcat, Patu and others......it is very confusing! I really just waoul like to know what the best chipper is for this size tractor. I do NOT want a chipper/shredded, just a chipper. Any comments from experienced users?? ....

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2003-07-28          60337

If you want serious chipping capability, be prepared for a price range of $6k-8k. This will get you a pto-driven unit from Vermeer or Farmi, suitable for compact tractors of 25-40 hp. I had a Vermeer with hydraulic drives and a 6"x6" inlet, hooked to my JD1070. First thing you find out is that the inlet size doesn't mean you can chip 5" or 6" diameters. Second thing is to avoid feeding in crooked pieces -- they always jam. Third thing is to chip when the wood is green (just after you cut it); dead, old, aged wood is brittle and doesn't like to form nice chips.
The Vermeer was VERY heavy, and difficult to move around. I looked at the Farmi, and would prefer it if I really wanted to go this route again.
When you get done adding up all the "can't do this", and "can't do that", and have to struggle with all the jams, etc etc, you tend to experience a big-time attack of "buyer's remorse". It's a lot easier and cheaper and faster to a) burn the junk, or b) haul it away.
jim ....

View my Photos
Jim on Timberridge

2003-07-28          60340

Addendum to my previous comments:
Option C: Go to a Vermeer dealer or equivalent, and rent a chipper. My local dealer rents units with 6"x9" feed (go with this size !!!), powered by a good-sized diesel, all on a 2 wheel trailer that you can pull by truck or tractor nearly anywhere. I used one once and it digested with nary a belch the remnants or a big windstorm plus a load of major trimmings in an hour.
jim ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-07-28          60343

On the DR 3 pth chipper. If it's anything like their field and brush mower, it's a quality product.

I've had the DR field and brush mower for about 8 years now. It's one, if any, that will exceed what the manufacturer says it will do. I can't say enough good about the it. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-07-28          60347

I own the dr 18 hp gas chipper and I,ll tell you what,anything under 4 1/2 inches is history and anything over is fire wood.!!!!!!!!! ....

View my Photos
botics

2003-07-29          60384

I looked at most of the chippers on the market (big names) and I ended up with a Bearcat www.bearcat.com They have several to choose from but in my case it was the fact that I could call up and speak to a person live.

There product is great but there service is awesome. ....

View my Photos
ferdman

2003-07-29          60429

I bought a brand new valby 140 pto driven chipper. It was approx.$3200. brand new,it is a manual feed and I feel as though I got a pretty good bang for the buck.If your going to use it on a comercial basis by all means get a hyd. feed.A manual feed will wear you out in about an hour or two if you don't have help.Most chippers have three knives, they produce a smaller chip,the valby only has two knives which helps keep the enertia of the fly wheel up eng. lugging down.We have a hemlock blight in are area right now(northeast)so I chip a lot of hemlock, I can sell a pickup load for $25.00. not a killing but it shure beats hauling it to the dump! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-07-30          60440

Just delivered a 140 hydraulic feed to a fellow last week. He was totally impressed with it's performance after using it over the weekend. Said that and the L-48 are on the top of his best buys lists. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-09          65909

Brush bandit is the way to go. I have friends both in the tree trimming and land clear businesses. Every chipper that ether of them own is a brush bandit. Between the two of them they have a 1-6",1-9",2-12",1-18" Intimidator, and 1-19" tracked chipper. Bandit makes a tractor mounted chipper in 6",9"and 12". ....

View my Photos
josths

2003-10-23          66903

I just got a DR Chipper PTO model for around $1,800 including shipping. It is a good product and takes up to 4 1/2 inchs. It has taken almost everything we fed it and barely slows down. Using it on a MF 1235 30HP (25 HP PTO). Just wear safety glasses, and a thick pair of leather gloves to buffer the vibrations, and have some fun.

Billy P. was right when he suggested it is a quality product. ....

View my Photos
Johanna

2003-11-12          68591

I would check out Salsco Chippers. The Model 824 4" Capacity, Model 826 6" Capacity Chipper, and the Model 810 PTO, 10" Capacity Chipper. Check out their specs on www.salsco.com, or call 800-872-5726 ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login