Go Bottom Go Bottom

Honda GX240 low oil shutdown sensor

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-31          132818

The Honda GX240 engine on my log splitter has a wire broken off right at the crankcase. This might be the low oil shutdown sensor but the parts manual doesn't show a sensor that threads in at that location. It does show a low oil shutdown assembly that could have a wire leading out of the crankcase in that location but it looks like it needs to be split open for installation. Does anyone here have experience with the low oil shutdown in Honda small engines? The engine runs fine without the sensor and if it's a matter of splitting it open to replace the entire assembly vs. letting it be I'll just leave it broken and check the oil often.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-31          132824

Ken, on the side opposite the carb mid way up the block is where the low oil pressure switch is. The ones I have use a yellow wire getting there and if broken off could very well look just like a bolt head! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-31          132826

That's what I'm looking at, the yellow wire is broken off. Does the low oil sensor screw in there? Or is it just a pass-thru to a low oil sensor that is mounted in the crankcase? The parts guy at the Honda dealer seemed to not know and after a half an hour of hemming and hawing told me the low oil sensor probably mounted in the crankcase. That seemed like a pretty stupid design to me but the parts manual isn't clear I don't have a service manual. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-07-31          132828

Reminds of when I bought a new $4000 welder/generator. Put fresh oil in it, ran it for 12 hours and it stopped working. Took it back and got another new one. It did the same thing. Took it to a service center, the guy says, did you check the oil? Duh, it's brand new! I just filled it ten hours ago! Check it, he says. Boy was I embarassed. There was probably nothing wrong with the first one ---except maybe for a "loose nut" on the other end. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-31          132829

About plus 4 inches up in the middle of the block. I don't have the 240 sitting here for an exact measurement but I have every other one. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-31          132833

If you go just below the shut-off or the relay about 1" on these engines and move towards the PTO end of the engine there is a flattened portion of the block. The switch looks just like a bolt head with a wire protuding from it. I know how frustrating for you it can be finding parts when the parts people aren't trained or you have nothing to compare with.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-31          132834

Thanks Art, I see the switch. My confusion is this - can the switch be changed without opening up the crankcase? Is it as simple as unscrewing the old one and replacing it? I'm a little reluctant to unscrew it and have the short end of the wire fall into the block. Thanks again for your help! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-31          132835

EW, that might explain why this splitter has the wire cut off. It used to be a rental unit and the store probably got tired of people calling to say it wouldn't run. It seems like a pretty dumb thing to do but they probably held the customer liable for damages if they ran it without oil so it was no skin off their nose. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-31          132837

Ken, my boys were picking on me for not looking deeper. You do have to remove the PTO cover and the wire just passes thru what I thought was a sender that looked like a bolt, gasket part number is 11381-ZEZ-800 and the switch is 155510-ZEZ-043. The switch is 55.59, but you may be able to just splice the wire. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-31          132844

Thanks, Art, that's good information to have. I'll see if I can splice the wire up to the regulator box. If that doesn't work I'll leave it be until I need to open it up further (if ever). My pressure washer uses a GX270 so I can use that engine as a reference to follow the wiring. Thanks again! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-31          132850

I was able to loosen the nut and pull the wire out far enough that splicing is possible. Is there a diagnostic test for this sensor to see if it's working? Maybe if the wire grounds out the engine should shut off (but that wouldn't tell me if the sensor will ground out on a low oil condition). ....

View my Photos
Art White

2006-07-31          132854

If it is not grounded out with the engine not running then the only thing left is it not grounded when running? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-31          132855

Probably need to drain the oil to test it. Since I just changed the oil it will wait until the next oil change. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login