Go Bottom Go Bottom

chipper for 3430

View my Photos
triumphmojo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-14          112363

I want to create some horse trails and it seems to me that if I made a trail bed of wood chips that would be ideal. I have two questions. How do I deal with the stumps? What should I use for a chipper? I have a 3430 hydro with a 723 fel. The self powered chipper is appealing except I already have waaay too many engines to maintain.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

chipper for 3430

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-14          112368

What are you chipping?
What kind of stumps and how big are they?
With some shallow rooted trees it's easy to cut the tree high and push it over with the tractor. Leaves a mess to clean up but digging them out leaves a mess too. Loaders aren't good stump digging tools, backhoes are better. ....

chipper for 3430

View my Photos
triumphmojo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-06-15          112390

I would try to route the trails to avoid stumps from trees larger than 5". The trees are a mix of poplar, red oak, pine, hickory and some sort of gum. ....

chipper for 3430

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-06-15          112394

A 6" 3-point chipper would likely do the job but be aware that 5" hardwoods would be near the limit of what your pto can deliver. 4-5" stumps can be a challenge to dig out without a backhoe. It might be easier to do all your cutting and rent a stump grinder for a day. Better for the trail to leave the dirt as undisturbed as possible. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login