First practice welds: Welding  -- General Tractor Discussion Forum and Review First practice welds: Welding -- General Tractor Discussion Forum

parts   |   manuals   |   discussion   |   photos   |   podcast   |   reviews   |   specs   |   dealers   |   classifieds   |   contact   |   faq   |   myProfile   |   home          Login Now | Sign Up

FAQ:   What is a tractor?

Forum Index

Kubota Tractors
  Kubota News
  Kubota Price
  Kubota Review
John Deere Tractors
  John Deere News
  John Deere Price
  John Deere Review
New Holland Tractors
  New Holland Tractor Price
  New Holland Tractor Revie
Other Tractor Brands
  Articulated Tractors
  Belarus
  Bobcat Tractors
  Case
  Cub Cadet
  Hinomoto
  Kioti Tractor
  Long
  Massey Ferguson
  Mitsubishi
  Other Tractor Brands
  Other Tractor News
  Shibaura
  Yanmar Tractors
Lawn and Garden Tractors
  Craftsman
  Cub Cadet Garden
  John Deere Garden
  Kubota Lawn Garden
  Other Garden Tractors
  Simplicity
  Toro Wheelhorse
  Ventrac Lawn Tractors
Antique Tractors
  Allis Chalmers
  Case David Brown
  Farmall IHC
  Ford
  Ford 9N 2N 8N
  Fordson
  Harry Ferguson
  John Deere Older
  Massey-Harris Ferguson
  Minneapolis Moline
  Oliver Cletrac Cockshutt
  Restoration
  Tractor Pulling
Tractor Attachments Implements 3ph
  Back Hoe
  Field Mowers Brush Cutter
  Grooming Mowers Finish Mo
  Loaders
  Snowblowers / Snow Plows
  Tillers and Ploughs
  Tractor Implements
  Trenchers
  Wood Chippers 3PH
Tractor Maintenance
  Diesel Fuel Lubrication E
  Tractor Engine Repair Reb
  Tractor Tires
Utility ATV
  All Terrain Vehicles
  John Deere Gator
  Mule Utility Vehicles
General Tractor
  Farming Ranching Agricult
  Photo Contest
  Size Tractor Needed
  Tractor Projects
  Tractor Safety
  Welding
Chinese Tractors
  Jinma Farmpro Agracat
  NorTrac Tractors
  Other Chinese Tractors
Cars
  All Brands
  Audi VW
  BMW
  Car Tires and Maintenance
  Chrysler
  Exotic, Sports, Racing
  Ford Cars
  General Motors
  Honda
  Hyundai
  Mercedes
  News
  Nissan
  Subaru
  SUV and Trucks
  Toyota Cars
Trucks Trailers
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
  Chevy Pickup Trucks
  Dodge Pickup Trucks
  Ford Pickup Trucks
  Toyota Pickup Trucks
Home Building
  Alternate Electric Energy
  Barns Pole Barns
  Buying Ranch Farm Acreage
  Carpentry
  Contractors
  Electric
  Excavation
  Moldings Finish Trim
  Other Home Building
  Pellet Stoves
  Plumbing
  Wood Stoves
Tools
  Electirc Power Tools
  Gas Power Tools
  Generators
  Shop Tools
  Techniques Howto
Landscape
  Flowers Shrubs Garden
  Golf Course Maintenance
  Irrigation Systems
  Landscape Design
  Landscape Lighting
  Landscape Maintenance
  Lawn, Turf, and Grass
  Vegetable Gardening
Construction
  Caterpillar
  Komatsu
  Wheel Loaders
Current Events Health Happiness
  Current Events
  Dogs and other Pets
  Electronics And Computers
  Food
  Health
  Just For Fun Off Topic
  Movies Music Games
  Personal Finance Investme
  Sports Outdoors
Tractorpoint Site
  Member Photos
  Site Members
  Website Operations Howto

New As Posted | Active Subjects

Click to Post a New Message!

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Welding Forum

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>
Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo
 02-12-2005, 02:22 Post: 105970
tomrscott

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

Filter by User
 First practice welds

I might finally get some time to get in some practice welding tomorrow. Thinking a bit about what to use for practice, with a mind toward building up to welding new ends on a couple of hydraulic cylinders for my TNT project (three ball pin sockets, and one large clevis).

I've got a lot of 1/8" sheet steel from some scrap equipment cabinets. I've also got some 3/8" plate and 3/8" x 4" x 4" angle stock. Some old 5/8" foundation "J" bolts, a couple odds and ends like an old worn forged clevis, etc. I've also got a bit of 4" x 4" x 1/4" box tubing, but I'd like to save most of that for real projects and not burn it up in practice.

Is it easier to begin with big stuff so you can work the puddle more slowly, or would it be easier to work with some of the 1/8" that I have the most of?

I've got a couple big chunks of aluminum an inch thick or more, a 22' disk, and a 16" x 24" platform that I was thinking might make a decent work surface for some small pieces?

The rod I bought is 7018 1/8", and 6011 3/32", but of course I can get something else, that's just what I happened to get. Given what I have to work with, what seems like a good fit?

In general; clean the surfaces bright with a wire wheel, stripping off paint and rust? Cut bevels for thick stuff? For larger joints, tack weld pieces together and then work a bead a little bit at a time from opposite directions to minimize "creep" of the joint from thermal expansion? Clean off the slag of each layer before laying on another bead?

A friend said that in his college welding class, the teacher had them weld together two pieces of 4" angle stock, making four of the six sides of a cube, and then lay on layer after layer of weld beads till they had a 4" cube made of nothing but layer upon layer of weld beads framed by the angle stock. Then they took a band saw and cut them in half and were graded on the uniformity and density of penetration with no voids. Seemed like a pretty good exercise.

Oh, my welder is a Miller Thuderbolt 225A AC/DC, and I've got a good fat 50A circuit with solid 240VAC (branch circuit coming from a 400AMP service!), should be plenty of power.

And I also have a Hypertherm Powermax600 20-40 amp plasma cutter to cut pieces and patterns out. I am going to be using the gouging tip to remove some welds to get the 3/8" angle stock loose from a large plate. Also going to use the plasma to cut the existing ends off of the hydraulic cylinders mentioned above.

I was thinking that I could use the J-bolts to simulate welding ends on the hydraulic cylinder rods. Maybe weld it to a big plumbing fitting or something...

Given all this that has been rattling around in my head all week, looking forward to a weekend to get a first crack at it, any advice beyond "Just do it!"?

Reply to PostReply | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Bookmarks: Digg It | Del.icio.us |
 02-12-2005, 13:49 Post: 105985
denwood

Filter by User
 First practice welds

Well I am sure many people will all have differing opinions on all this. My 2 cents as a hobby welder: When you weld new ends on cylinder for real, be careful of getting the internal seals too hot and melting them. I guess short of dismantling it, extend it all the way and protect the shaft from splatter. Possibly wrap some sort of heat sink around the shaft at the opposite end. I know the rod you bought is rated for AC and DC, but not being a pro and just taking advice of others, I have found 6011 to be better on AC and 7018 to be better on DC. My dad always says odd numbers AC even DC? 6011 gives very good penetration but an uglier weld so I run it on the lower pass to get deeper and then 7018 on top to be pretty, and stronger. I am relatively new to 7018, just finishing my first 5 pound box since I did not have a DC machine before. I used to use 6013 for pretty stuff. My 7018 runs beautifully but once you stop, it is a pain to start again compared to 6011 and 6013. It seems the end coats over with slag and you will see how miserably hard that slag is compared to the 60xx rods. Certainly thicker is easier especially for 6011. I run my 7018 1/8 inch around 140- 145 amps dc and 6011 1/8 around 125 ac. for thicker metals.

02-13-2005, 22:27 Post: 106036
jdcman

Filter by User
 First practice welds

Tom,

Question, how confident are you with puddle recognition? Can you identify the molten metal vs molten flux? For stick welding puddle manipulation is all about the recognition of what's happening as you move the molten pool along the material.

My recommendation is to use a thicker piece of material, say 3/8 or 1/2 thick and practice running stringer beads until you can get them at a consistent thickness and shape. The reason I'd recommend the ticker material is because it won't heat as fast, allowing you to put down several passes and to fine tune your technique without having to adjust for the thermal issues. (More practice runs before the next piece).

There are many texts out there that will show the rod angle and discuss the rod manipulation.

I might also suggest that you start with DC positive polarity and E6010 --- It just runs nicer than the AC 6011.

Low Hy is fine after the practice with the 6010. In my opinion 6010 is much more forgiving when it comes to beginners.

The point is to start with flat beads/welds before you move to the filets.

One last point --- get comfortable. This will become extremely important as you move to out of position welding, (something other than flat welds).

Then it's all about practice, practice, practice and having fun!

Good luck.

02-14-2005, 00:23 Post: 106038
tomrscott

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 First practice welds

Thanks for the advice, that all makes a lot of sense. I will pick up some E6010 rod. What diameter do you recomend for practice on 3/8" or 1/2" scrap?

I decided to bite the bullet and try something productive right off. I cut up some 1/8" plate that I have a lot of. Cut out a pattern with the plasma cutter, and welded up a two piece bracket to bolt my TNT control valve to the ROPS with some 3/8" rectangular U-bolts. I'll have to put up some pictures. It's too complicated to describe very well, but it mounts the valve to the ROPS at a 45 degree forward tilt with the back of the valve mostly behind the ROPS so that the hydraulic fittings are right where I need them. It also compensates for some of the ROPS outboard tilt.

Well anyway, back to welding: I used some E7018, and didn't have too much trouble. I managed to get some real strong welds without making too big a mess. It did require a bit of grinding to clean up the mess I made, but the result is quite functional, if several miles short of professional. I guess I like the philosophy somebody else proposed: (paraphrasing) "Do something useful, do it the best you can, and if it comes apart do it again better the next time."

I'll put some pictures of the finished product later, but I was pressed for time and didn't get any in the process.

But, I do like your advice and am going to follow it. Doing that job convinced me that I don't have a good feel for the puddle control. I probably did everything wrong; tilted the rod the wrong way, didn't move the rod tip around enough, forgot to keep moving the rod in closer as it got shorter, etc. But I actually got some very stout welds, didn't make any holes where I didn't want them (well one little one, but as the design evolved, it ended up in the scrap pile anyway).

Anyway, my TNT valve is mounted right where I wanted it. With a little JD green paint it'll look great.

Welding is fun! (almost as fun as plasma cutting Wink yeah right

02-14-2005, 07:37 Post: 106042
beagle

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 First practice welds

Tom, I thought this might be useful information for you. Maybe you know this, but from the first part of the discussion, it would seem to be useful. For rod designations, the numbers for electrode classifications work like this:

For example E-7018
First two numbers are the consumable strength in ksi,
( kips per square inch)

Third number is the allowable positions for the rod
1 All Position
2 Flat and Horizontal only
4 Flat, Horizontal, Vertical Down, Overhead

Fourth Number indicates the type of Flux coating and current
0 and 5 indicate DC Electrode Positive only
1, 4 and 7 can be AC, DCEP, or DCEN
2 is DCEN only
All others are AC or DCEP only

I won't list the types of coatings here, you can get that off the consumable carton.

Just one other comment, don't leave open boxes of rod laying around. The moisture content of the rod has a lot to do with the quality of the weld you can produce. AWS does not allow rods to be left to the atmosphere for more than two hours without re-baking them. If you do have open consumable cartons, and an understanding wife, bake the rods in your oven at 250 degrees for two hours before using them. You can rebake them as many times as you need to. Dry rods will help you create consistent weld pools and profiles.

Hope this helps.

02-15-2005, 11:04 Post: 106160
treeman

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 First practice welds

Your 6010-DC/ 6011AC rod is a deep penetrating rod which is good for root passes on rusty dirty base metal. Normally it is best to "stitch" weld with these rods which takes practice. The 7018 rod is basically a cover rod. It doesn't dig deep to get rid of porosity or go through rust. It does put a nice looking cover on your root passes especially if you do a weave. A good beginner rod is the 6013AC rod. It's between the 6011 and 7018. It doesn't do anything great but it's one of the easiest rods to use.

02-16-2005, 11:27 Post: 106228
BillMullens

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 First practice welds

Remember that 7018 is a contact rod; if the arc length is too long, impurities will enter and leave visible porosities in the weld. Done well, these will make a beautiful weld. They were recommended to me for use on high-carbon steels, with my AC-only welder. Also had a batch of these rods that weren't in a sealed container, and made ugly welds. Dry rods helped a lot.

I don't like the spatter of 6011, had trouble getting them to strike on my 110 welder, so never used them again. I prefer 6013, even with my 220 welder.

Fun, isn't it?

Good luck,
Bill

02-16-2005, 11:59 Post: 106229
beagle

TP Contributor

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics

Filter by User
 First practice welds

7018 is the most commonly spec'd rod for structural welds with low carbon steels, like structural shapes. About every spec we deal with calls for 7018 rod. It produces quality welds in any position, and can be easily quality controlled in the field. It can be run AC or DCEP. It also has the advantage of easy slag removal. Should be a good all purpose rod for mild steels.

02-16-2005, 12:05 Post: 106230
BillBass

First practice welds

Here is some good basic info on rods.

Link:   Welding rods 

02-16-2005, 13:35 Post: 106238
k9fletch

View my Photos

View my Photos  Pics
 First practice welds

Here is another link to some basic welding info from ESAB.

Link:   Click Here 

Reply | Pop Up Window Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Page [ 1 ] | 2 | 3 | | Next >>

Discussion Boards > Active Subjects > Messages as Posted > Welding Forum

Thread 105970 Filter by Poster:
auerbach 1 | beagle 3 | BillBass 1 | BillMullens 1 | denwood 2 | earthwrks 1 | HawaiiAl 1 | jdcman 3 | k9fletch 1 | swan8706 1 | tomrscott 5 | treeman 1 |

(advanced search)

Picture of the Day
Coachlarry

John Deere Gator - Input shaft spline or keyed
Input shaft spline or keyed

Unanswered Questions

Belarus 825 - needs a new clut
Drain Cock
Need more hydraulic flow for s
HINOMOTO HB 501
Belarus 420A - Problems bleed

Active Subjects

460 Long hyd leak
460 axle
Key will not start engine
6x4 engine rebuild vsHarbor Fr
Things we say and what do they
The Plus and Minus of Ignoring
Looking to buy a New Pickup Tr
Need more hydraulic flow for s

Hot Topics

Tractor Category 1 2 3 Hitch s
Duerr hp 678 Chipper replaceme
Gator 620i gas in engine oil
KUBOTA Tractor Trouble Free Qu
Gator 6x4 Overheating problem
Duerr hp 678 Chipper Manual
Adjusting 7308 Pressure Relief
Long 460 hydraulic problem

Featured Suppliers

Mountain Creek Labradoodles
      MountainCreekLabradoodles.com

New Forums on Gun Sport Shooting and Hunting -- BarrelPoint.com  New Forums on Horses ManePoint.com
Talk Horses at ManePoint
Hunting + Gun Sports at BarrelPoint

Most Viewed

+ Bent Front End Loader From Bucket Hooks
+ Portable welder generator runs but no power or wel
+ Plasma Cutters
+ Buying a dead Hypertherm 600
+ Twentieth Century mfg welder search
+ Learning to weld
+ Clark 110 V Arc Welder
+ Chicago Electric Plasma cutter
+ Is it ever to late