Go Bottom Go Bottom

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
jasonsewell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-16          74252

There are a few options listed in the trailer forum about making your own trailers. Here is what I did...

The first time I needed a trailer of my own, I could not afford one. I was a pretty good welder with a metal yard two businesses away.

I found a 18' camper about 30 years old for sale for $150. The frame was in great shape but the inside looked like a typical '70's Shag Wagon, orange and brown cloth, and it was in poor shape inside.

I flipped the camper over using a Palfinger 32080 knuckle boom mounted on my '96 Mack. Using a die-grinder, I removed the frame bolts.

About $100 worth of steel helped reinforce the frame with a few new cross-members. Another $100 purchased 20' 2X10's and bolts for the boards.

$350 in cash, About 10 hours of my time, 1 hour explaining to DMV why my VIN number does not match the description on their computers, and I had a 20' trailer with dual 5000lb axles and brakes.

Good deal in my book

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-17          74254

jason that's a good deal. Been there and done that. But I whacked the Vins and applied for a new one for a homemade. A lot simpler.

NYS now for that GVWR you'd have to go to a heavy truck shop and have the axles certified and brakes certified along with the break-away system.

I still have a registration for a homemade I made in Alaska and keep looking for the right stuff to start a new one. ....

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-17          74287

Harvey, Which part of Alaska did you live in? ....

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
jasonsewell

2004-01-17          74289

I could not wipe the VIN because it was stamped into the frame rail near the tongue, it was not on a plate. I had no trouble with the GVWR because the existing VIN number reffered to the original trailer as having a 10,000 lb GVWR, so they said as long as I hadn't changed the axles, springs, or brakes, the original weight would be used.

I forgot to add that I also spent $50 to have 2 pieces of sheet metal bent for the two fenders. ....

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
harvey

2004-01-17          74302

Mark I spent 6 years up there in Anchorage and Fairbanks. Drove the Alcan 3 times and once down the Cassiar into Seattle. ....

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-10-08          97918

On my state utility trailers aren't registered that I know of. ....

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-10-08          97921

lbrown59: You had better double check that. Most states require some sort of registration over 3500#. ....

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-08          97925

Here in Ontario, as well as many other jurisdictions, most trailers (and trucks) need to be inspected annually for safety items, as well as compliance with the appropriate regulations or requirements.

More and more inspection stations are refusing to certify anything that doesn't bear a CMVSS (or FMVSS) endorsement from a registered manufacturer.

It may also come up if you ever need to make an insurance claim, a lot of insurance companies have a waiver in the policy, they won't cover a 'homemade' trailer or any contents. If you had a CUT on a 'homemade' trailer it could be an expensive lesson.

Best of luck. ....

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-15          98451

1*Here in Ontario, as well as many other jurisdictions, most trailers (and trucks) need to be inspected annually for safety items, as well as compliance with the appropriate regulations or requirements.

3*More and more inspection stations are refusing to certify anything that doesn't bear a CMVSS (or FMVSS) endorsement from a registered manufacturer.

5*It may also come up if you ever need to make an insurance claim, a lot of insurance companies have a waiver in the policy, they won't cover a 'homemade' trailer or any contents. If you had a CUT on a 'homemade' trailer it could be an expensive lesson.
Murf
1*I have a home made 6x8 utility tilt trailer I bought from a private party back in 1995.
The state of Ohio don't even know that I own it.

3*What's the purpose for this;to keep the trailer manufacturers in business?

5*GOOD POINT: I will ask my insurer about this.

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
Murf

2004-10-15          98453

LKBrown, if you have a trailer that the state doesn't know about then how is it licensed?

The FMVSS/CMVSS standard is enforced to a) keep junk off the road, and b) to protect the motoring public using our roads.

An unsafe trailer going down the road is just as dangerous, or probably more so, than an unsafe vehicle.

Would you want to be in a car with your family driving down the highway at 60mph behind an unsafe trailer weighing several tons?

The insurance companies don't want to insure them either, when they're hooked to the back of your vehicle that's exactly what happens.

It's always less expensive to do it right the first time.

Best of luck. ....

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-18          98662

Test post ....

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
Billy

2004-10-18          98665

The State of Oklahoma requires titles to be issued to all over the road motor vehicles, travel trailers, commercial trailers, manufactured homes, boats and outboard motors (in excess of 10 horsepower). Noncommercial trailers, including utility trailers, boat trailers and farm trailers, are not required to be titled or registered in Oklahoma. ....

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-18          98671

Noncommercial trailers, including utility trailers, boat trailers and farm trailers, are not required to be titled or registered in Oklahoma.
Billy Passmore
But are they required to display a license plate? ....

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-18          98674

4*Homemade doesn't automatically mean junk?
6*Just because it's factory built don't mean it's safer than a home made one..
8*No and I don't care who made it if I get hit with it.
10*I still don't see where it's automatically a given that a homemade trailer is unsafe over a factory built one.
12. So why is home made always the wrong way and factory built always the correct way?

Build you own trailer

View my Photos
Billy

2004-10-18          98675

"But are they required to display a license plate?"

Nope ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login