Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-03          70211

When I bought my B-7800, I also purchased tire chains for my R-4 tires. The cross chains are every two links to prevent them from going into the tread of the tire and rendering the chains useless. I noticed that I didn't get any tightners with the chains. On my B-7200 they sold me tightners with the chains. Do I need to use tightners and if so, what type of tightner should I use? It doesn't seem like the tightners used on cars are heavy enough. On my old man's Massey Ferguson we took a large washer and drilled holes around it and used old trampoline springs for tightners and they worked pretty good. I may just use the same type setup on mine as Huricane Isabel destroyed my little girl's trampoline and thus I have extra springs!!!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-13          71042

WE often use the rubber bungy straps for that job ....

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
DennisCTB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-13          71043

I got the rubber tighteners for about $5-7 for a pair from my Napa auto store, they work great and last a long time. ....

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
Captain B

2003-12-13          71044

I used bungy cords last year and they worked fine. I switched to chain and steel springs this year because I thought they would hold up over time better in the cold. Not much more expensive than the bungy cords and they put a bit more tension on the chains. ....

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-13          71053

I only use tightners if I'm going to operate at road speeds. You do not need them just working around your property. Chains that can move around on your tires as they turn and work work better than the tight ones. And no u will not wear out your tires by the chains moving. ....

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-13          71068

Try Bailey's Online Logging Supplies. They carry log skidder chains that are monster heavy duty and may have some heavy duty chain tighteners.

http://www.baileys-online.com/index.htm ....

Link:   

Click Here

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-12-13          71071

I am posting the link below for Chief ....

Link:   Tire Chain click here!

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
Captain B

2003-12-14          71110

It might be true in most cases that you need chain tighteners only if you anticipate driving at road speeds. But in some instances, like mine, the clearance between the R4s with studded chains and the fender is absolutely minimal. Tighteners eliminate (I hope) the chance of taking out a fender. ....

Tire chains on my R-4 s

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-12-14          71114

I guess it depends on your tires and chains, how they fit, and how they were put on.

When I have run chains without tighteners I have occasionally had the chain come apart on one side of the tire, and start flailing around wacking the fender.

Unfortuantely, when I am running chains, I have all sorts of stuff covering my ears so I don't hear it right away.

Now I always use tighteners, with no problems on 4 link chains and I do get some movement of the chains on the turf tires as well.

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login