Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 855 replacement Turf Tires help

View my Photos
TerryNY2
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-11-24          69470

I have a 1987 JD 855 with the original Goodyear turf tires. One front one has a slow leak that has been repaired a couple of times without complete success so time to replace the tires. Problem is, Goodyear no longer makes the Soft Trac 23-8.50-12 front tires. I would have to use a Titan or Carisle brand as a replacement. My 855 is 4WD and the original Goodyear front is a short 23" tire, measures about 21", and I want to be careful about matching front to rear diam. ratios. I would like to keep matching brand and wear front and back. Of course neither Titan or Carisle makes a matching rear tire or 33-12.5-15, but of course Goodyear does. The only solution I have found so far is to replace the front rims with JD 14" and use Titan Multi Trac in 25-8.5-14 fronts and 36-13.5-15 rears. This combination will work fine and was the standard tire sizes for the later JD 855 (after 1990?) The problem with this solution is it is real expensive and it changes the tractor. It is fine the way it was made. Anyone know of a source for replacement tires in the stock sizes?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2003-11-24          69517

My Ford repair manual lists 23x8.50x12,2pr,g2 tires for compact models 1310 - 1710. They would have been turfs and the stock manufacturer was Firestone. If those tires would be suitable maybe a NH dealer could get them or perhaps from Firestone direct. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-24          69520

TerryNY2, have you checked with Miller Tire. They carry a large variety of turf tires and may be able to match the height tire you need. Maybe even some golf cart tires might work. I got a set for my F-525 that works fine. Just have to look at what ply rating you require. You may be able to find a tire distributor and get them to find a match for what you need locally as well.

Link:   Miller Tire

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-25          69571

I bought my rear "turf" tires at a regular tire store.

Take your tape measure so you can get the right diameter. I matched them to a set of Firestone 24x8.50-12's on the front.

According to the Firestone web site, if there is an inexact match it is best to err on the side of larger front tires.

Also: Have you thought about just putting an inner tube in the leaking tire? ....

View my Photos
TerryNY2

2003-11-25          69576

The inner tube route would solve the leak problem, but ultimatly I will need to replace the tires. Both wear and age are against them. It is pretty easy to find non Goodyear replacements for the front sizes, but the rear tires are a another matter. I have recently found that Titan does in fact, make a 33x12.5-15 in thier Multi Trac turf tire line. Most sites, including Millers, etc. don't list or carry that size. I found them listed at TitanTires.com, a retailer-wholesaler company in Calif. Thier prices are the best I've found but shipping might be quite expensive. I'm still waiting for an email quote from them for the complete set shipped. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login