Go Bottom Go Bottom

Turf vs Ag Tires

View my Photos
steve
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-29          4476

I'm about to buy a Green or Blue. Probably a Green and probably a 790 with a loader. Seems like the most tractor for the buck. I live on the Plains of Colorado and its usually very dry here (but there's standing water every where right now after heavy rains) and not that much snow (but don't forget the blizzard of '97--4-5 feet of snow for 3/4 mile to the main road.). I'll use it to clean horse stalls, turn the manure pile into compost, mowing, snow clearing, and other basic tractor stuff. I'm concerned that the Ag tires will chew up the grass, not that any one has a manicured lawn out here on the prairie. And then there's snow removal time and I'm concerned that Turf tires might not cut it. I've asked both dealers how much more traction Ag tires have over Turf and they both say "lots." When I ask how much a lot is they can't quantify it. I think they're both old time tractor guys and don't like the new fangled stuff like plastic fenders and sissy looking tires. Does anyone have any experience snow clearing with Turf tires? I'm thinking I'll usually be in the push it out of the way with the loader or if it gets too deep, dump it in the ditch. And what about chains?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Turf vs Ag Tires

View my Photos
John - Billings, Mo

1999-05-29          4478

Steve - first of all look at the R4 tires. They are ag style but less agressive on lawns. Also, consider the JD4200 for about $1500 more it has double the loader and 3PH capacities. A LOT more tractor for a little more money. I've been looking for the past two months. Good luck. ....

Turf vs Ag Tires

View my Photos
Vince

1999-05-29          4482

Steve,I agree with John; check out a set of R4's. I have a set of Ags on one tractor and R4's on another. The R4's are a good compromise. I'd be concerned about breaking traction doing loader work with the turfs, however I don't have any first hand experience. For tire chains check out www.tirechain.com. They may be just what you need. Good luck! ....

Turf vs Ag Tires

View my Photos
KEVIN

1999-05-30          4491

You don't say if it is 4wd or not. I had 2 JD 1050 on a hereford farm in new england. Both were 4WD, one w/ turf tires, one w/ ag tires. We moved a considerable amount of snow each winter. Our main (most traction required) job was keeping the feedlot clean. Cow dung would get as deep as a foot. It would be frozen and then it usually would thaw all @ once. My long-winded point is that the turf tires did very well in that deep mess. I would also say that we did a lot of mowing w/ the 1050 w/ the ag tires and only tore turf on the sharp turns. Good luck. ....

Turf vs Ag Tires

View my Photos
steve in co

1999-05-30          4492

Thanks for your input. The dealer did point out the 790's lift capacity and wanted to sell me a Great Bend Loader which had something like 1329 lbs vs 755 for the Deere loader. Apparently, they make loader's for all the compacts. Still, that doesn't change the hitch lift capacity does it. Also,I'd rather see John Deere on the side than Great Bend. Can you go into more detail on the difference between independent and non-independent PTO's. The onlything I can gather from the literature is when you step on the clutch of anindependent PTO tractor, the mower or tiller or whatever won't stop mowing, tilling, or whatevering. Is there something else I'm missing? Does an independent PTO effect the loader or steering or something else? Thanks againfor your comments. ....

Turf vs Ag Tires

View my Photos
Norm

1999-05-30          4497

I agree - the fundamental issue is whether or not you have 4WD. I have a 755 (20 hp HST) with turf tires and I haven't had trouble yet using the loader on snow, slush, sand, gravel, packed dirt, etc. Make sure you have 4WD or you won't be using the loader for much at all. ....

Turf vs Ag Tires

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-05-31          4532

I've used my 4wd compact with turfs for almost 20 years in the mountains of Colorado. I have a big tractor with ag tires as well. The Turfs are great.Ag tires don't do any good here because there is no soft soil for them to sinkinto. Both tractors require chains in deep snow and/or ice. Turfs plus chainsoffer a lot more traction than any ag tire made. Ags plus chains are even moreawesome. You can leave the chains on all winter....at the speeds you are goingthey will not hurt the tires. I put mine on Thanksgiving weekend. Your dealer cannot answer your tire traction question without knowing awhole lot more about the surgace you will be on. The loader is not very effective for moving snow. You will find a heavyblade to be better. 4wd is a MUST on a light tractor. But don't be surprisedwhen the next size larger 2wd with chains and weights will move more snow andfaster. I agree with the JD loader. If there is that much difference between thetwo loaders than something is screwy. The JD is an excellent loader. An independent PTO can be shifted into gear and clutched independently of whateverthe tractor is doing. The PTO motion is independent of the tractor's motion. Roger Lthe t Roger L ....

Turf vs Ag Tires

View my Photos
KG

1999-05-31          4533

Steve:I had to make the same choice. I have a NH TC21D with turf tires, I had some real concerns about the other tires after seeing what just driving over the lawn with a backhoe can do. I am not sure what to do for the winter, the cheap route would be chains. The other options is a second set of wheels and some Ag tires. I would like to here from someone who has used chains on turf tires, Even with chains the turf tires seem to wide to provide much traction in snow.Good luck ....

Turf vs Ag Tires

View my Photos
BigG

1999-05-31          4536

A few comments.Turf tires. With turf tires, on dry sandy soil, loading the bucket with sand, the tractor will stall before the tires spin. that's enough traction for me. With chains on on ice, the turf tires do better than Ag tires without, and putting the chains on takes less than 5 minutes. (Secret - let some air out, tighten the chains, add some air)On wet grass, turf tires slip a bit. That's what the 4 wheel drive/ diff lock are for. But when they do slip, they leave a small depression in the lawn. AG tires on wet lawn leave nice V Shaped ruts.Backed out of the creek, up an incline on wet grass with muddy tires, bucket full of wet clay this weekend, no weights on the rear, turf tires, no issue. Slipped a bit, engaged 4wd, out she came.Turf tires are fine. Look at all the rental yards with 855/955s or Kubotas as TLBs. They are almost all on turfs.As for loader capacity. Base your decisions on what you can use, not what the book says. Reading spec sheets can be deceiving. The loader on the 790 is capable of 755lbs or so. The loader on the 4200 757lbs (JD Specs- Buying guide)or 1195lbs if you read the 4000 series brochure (Higher lift capacity on the 4300). Either way, you will be hard pressed to put that much weight in the bucket. Certainly not with manure, dirt, clay etc.For 3PtHitch capacity, think about the difference in capacity as what is useable, not what the spec sheet says. A 2600 lb tractor with a 2000 lb lift capacity will almost lift the front wheels off the ground!But do consider the 4200 for the Hydrostatic. And don't buy a compact tractor without 4wd! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login