Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tire mounting removal

View my Photos
Richard Hollabaugh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-08-01          30566

The local Kubota dealer has a nifty 'tire dolly' to remove/mount tires on a tractor. Does anyone know if these dollies are available and affordable? What about making a dolly myself? Safety when working with these heavy filled rear tires is a must.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tire mounting removal

View my Photos
JeffM

2001-08-01          30568

Richard, Northern Tool (previously Northern Hydraulics) sells a truck tire dolly that may work for you. Hopefully the link below will work. If not, I'll post another message with the info. Jeff ....

Link:   Tire Dolly from Northern Tool

Tire mounting removal

View my Photos
TomG

2001-08-02          30585

Most areas are served by a mobile ag tire repair business. I haven't needed tire work, but people who use such services usually are pretty positive. It's incredibly convenient to sit back and let somebody with good equipment make a repair without even having to move the tractor most times. It's a pretty good idea to find out who does such work in your area and get a price for comparison to doing it yourself. Using such a service also avoids having to keep a bunch of specialized stuff around that, hopefully, isn't going to be used much. ....

Tire mounting removal

View my Photos
KenB

2001-08-02          30591

Cofer makes such a dolly. See link below.

Link:   Cofer Mfg.

Tire mounting removal

View my Photos
CaseyR

2001-08-09          30831

As I was inflating the somewhat old tires on my flatbed trailer up to 70psi the other day, I was thinking about the steel cages that many truck tire places use when inflating truck tires. Just how catastrophic a failure can occur when an 8 ply tire lets go at 70psi? I have had three tread separations on tires on my vehicles, but can't recall ever having a real blowout of the side wall. ....

Tire mounting removal

View my Photos
mlmartin

2001-08-10          30840

Catastrophic tire failure? That size tire at that pressure? Think "hand grenade" or "land mine". Tread separation from the carcass is probably the most benign failure.
--
The truck tire places have those cages to protect their employees lives.
--
Matthew ....

Tire mounting removal

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-08-12          30893

Tire cages were built for the old 2 piece "split rims" which had a a tendency to come apart at pressure. Imagine a 20" 3# steel ring flying thru the air as if shot from a cannon. I have seen 8X8 hard wood posts cut almost in two by them. In Viet Nam I saw what was left of a Pappa San tire repair man. He was cut in 3 pieces. Many tire guys have been maimed and killed by them. Modern truck tires do not require the cage. A catastrophic failure of a tire in the application you describe is gonna require a "GOOD" Got it? "GOOD set of ear plugs! Hopefully you have a air regulator for correct pressure and a clip on and leave it air chuck. With that thought where would your arm be in a tire cage with either type of tire???? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login