Go Bottom Go Bottom

Loaded Tires with RV anti-freeze

View my Photos
ThatGuy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-11-05          21234

After reading some discussion on here about the use of RV anti-freeze to load tires I took a look at a bottle in Wal-mart. The bottle says 'do not dilute' for use in an RV, and that it will get 'slushy' at about -2 F, but protect from freezing down to something like -50.Would the 'slushy at -2' damage the the tire by cutting it on the inside?Based on not diluting, at $3.50 (approx.) a gallon how does rv anti-freeze compare to other methods of loading in terms of cost? I am not sure how many gallons it would take to load a tire.One dealer I spoke to used methanol to load. They used about 3 to 4 gallons, then fill the rest of the way with water. What is methanol and is it sold as something else? Maybe windshield washer fluid?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Rob

2000-11-06          21255

My experience with RV anti-freeze (in and around our RV) is that while non-toxic to humans, it will kill the grass if spilled. Might make for some interesting patterns in your yard if you spring a leak. ....

View my Photos
mbjacobs

2000-11-06          21260

I suspect the RV antifreeze you were looking at was already diluted. RV antifreeze (propylene glycol) is probably the most expensive antifreeze used but it's not nearly as toxic as the others (calcium chloride, ethylene glycol and methanol). Calcium chloride's advantage is its solutions are heavier than straight water (the others are lighter), disadvantage it's corrosive to metal. Ethylene glycol, commonly called "permanent antifreeze", is what we normally use in engine cooling systems. Methanol is an alcohol, sometimes called "wood alcohol" was used for many years for engines but it tended to evaporate so it wasn't "permanent" and was replaced by ethylene glycol. Methanol is used as the antifreeze in windshield washer fluid but I would hesitate to use windshield washer fluid in my tires because I don't know what else is in it. (Probably a dye and some detergent) You can buy pure methanol at most hardware stores but it should be available in larger containers at lower prices somewhere else. I just don't know where. Hope this helps. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login