Go Bottom Go Bottom

R-4 tires on lawn

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-03-08          1568

Any of you had experience with R-4's on your lawn? I need a heavier tire for rough work but also have to cut my 2 acre lawn with my compact tractor. I do not want to use Ag tires on the lawn and I can't deal with having turf tires on my tractor. Do the R-4's work on the lawn?Ratman

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

R-4 tires on lawn

View my Photos

1999-03-08          1577

Ran into the same problem. I was ripping my yard apart. This FORCED me to go with the Turf Tires. I hated to do it but at least now had both.Changing tires would still be a pain and I started looking for a second set of wheels.However, some time has passed and a few heavy snow storms, some medium-bad mud, and a few loader jobs later, the Turf tires are just fine.P.S. I have a JD 4100 with 4wd. ....

R-4 tires on lawn

View my Photos
JLW

1999-03-10          1635

What about R-4s on the rear and turf on the front of a 2wd tractor? Do you think this would work? I am considering this and would appreciate your opinion. It seems that the fronts do the damage as long as you don't get down on the brakes. ....

R-4 tires on lawn

View my Photos

1999-03-12          1674

A friend did this with his JD 955.He runs 2wd without differential lock, is gentle on the brakes and when cornering.He also avoids the slightest thaw/muddy condition.He is doing fine and only occassionally gets careless and digs things up.On the other hand, when he needs to get into the woods and pull some trees out, hehas the help of the R-4's in the rear.He was VERY surprised to "play" on mine and see how well it did with the Turf tires.I guess it depends on your land and what you will be doing most of the time. ....

R-4 tires on lawn

View my Photos
Jeff

1999-04-12          2754

When I bought my JD855 I was afraid I wouldn't have any traction for landclearing and loader operations if I got the Turf tires. After a couple ofyears with Turf Tires filled with Calcium chloride, I am convinced that I made the right choice. R4 tires will not only cause unnecessary rutseven with 4wd and diff lock disengaged, they also cause much more soil compaction which will eventually cause your lawn serious grief. I get enoughsoil compaction now, and can't imagine what it would be like with R4s.When I'm in the woods dragging bolders and pulling stumps etc, I rarely wish for more traction. It's almost always more power I'd opt for. Ican stall the engine before the traction gives out 9 times out of 10.You can always add chains when you're going out in real muddy times. Go withthe turf tires, you probably won't regret it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login