Go Bottom Go Bottom

Ag Tire wear

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-16          138863

Murf pointed out how Ag tires wear on hard surfaces. Is there a suggestion as to the pressure to help keep wear to minimum or at least the whole tread takes the wear so one area is not worn out?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Ag Tire wear

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-01-16          138876

KT; It seems like since radials came along that you don't see the severe cupping that used to show on the tread bars from road wear on bias tractor rears. I had a hard time running radial rears at the recommended pressure because they just plain looked flat to me. But after enough convincing by the tire folks I did let out a bunch of air to their recommended PSI. So in answer to your question I would have to say that the entire length of the tread bar has pretty much the same pressure against the road surface instead if being concentrated near the center of the tires. Likely the wear is still there but just not as noticeable. Just my thoughts. Frank. ....

Ag Tire wear

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-01-17          138888

Frank is on the right track here.

Anyone who has ever spent any time on a farm, or around rubber-tired equipment is familiar with tires, bald to the cords in the center, but with hardly anywhere near that much wear at the shoulders.

If you lower the pressure on a radial to the recomended pressures for the given use, as Frank mentioned, they look like they're going flat, but the entire tread is contacting the ground.

Problem is with equipment that varies greatly in operating weight, proper pressure for the unit unladen is not right when it's loaded up. We have a big JCB FasTrac that is like this, we finally had to rig up an air line off the units air brake system to be able to adjust tire pressures in the field. This wouldn't be as big an issue with a CUT obviously though.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login