Go Bottom Go Bottom

Newbee help

View my Photos
Camuyano
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-11          52996

Okay,

We just moved from an apartment to a 10 acre property so I need help! I want to buy a tractor for general mowing, earth moving and hauling fire wood and maybe some light digging. Only about 1/3 of the property is flat and less than one acre is cleared, but we may want to clear more and maybe even raise animals later so I want to invest in a tractor that will meet my needs in the future.

I've been looking at new garden tractors and compact utility tractors. Most of the compact utility tractors are outside of my price range (around $5K) and most garden tractors don't handle loaders, which is an option I would like to have, and I am unsure of whether they have the necessary traction. Being inexperienced I am leery of buying a used farm tractor since I don't want to get a lemon and have a pile of rusting junk in front of my new house. Any advise?

thanks,
Imanuel

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Newbee help

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-04-11          53006

Imanuel,
Without knowing exactly what you want to do with the tractor I can't give you specific recommendations. But, I would rule out a garden tractor entirely.
A good, used compact tractor may be the ticket for you. However, be sure that it will be able to do all of your tasks before plunking down any cash. Look into specifics: mowers, loaders, box blades, trailers, etc.
Be sure that you drive the used compact tractor first...pay particular attention to forward/reverse changes of direction (pretend that you are mowing). Older, gear-drive compacts may have an awkward forward/reverse shift pattern. Repeated forward/reverse "shuttling" can be tiresome. A hydrostatic transmission is ideal for mowing because changes in speed and direction can be made very quickly. Be prepared to spend at least $10K for a good, used 20 hp compact tractor with some of your required tools.
However, you sound like the perfect candidate for the Kubota BX-Series or the John Deere 2210. These tractors have opened up a new class of tractor called sub-compact. These tractors are smaller than a compact tractor, but larger than a garden tractor. Sub-compacts have 4WD and can be equipped with real loaders, mowers, and other tools. Best of all, these tractors are not very expensive compared to the price of a new compact tractor.
I would search for a low-hour, used sub-compact. Search this discussion board, there are many people who love and respect their sub-compacts. These tractors are not toys. There is a lot of knowledge & experience floating around on TractorPoint, so maximize it.
The sub-compact market is pretty hot right now. If you find that you need more tractor, you won't lose your shirt in depreciation when trading up...especially if you bought a used one to begin with.
One more thing to keep in mind, your comments indicated that this tractor may be stored outside. If so, it will begin to show age quickly. Don't be afraid of buying a used tractor as a starter.
Have fun shopping! ....

Newbee help

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-06          56970

A used John Deere 655, 755, or 855 4WD that has been well cared for might be in or at least close to your price range. Test operate the tractor and ask the owner if they have reciepts to verify maintenance. These are all great little machines and if garage kept and well cared for should be almost as good a condition as a new tractor. I would stay away from anything kept outside, too much deterioration. At least put up one of those pipe frame garages that bungee cords the tarp to the frame. Exposure to sunlight and weather takes and heavy toll on paint, hoses, instrument panels, tires, etc. Good luck on your search! ....

Newbee help

View my Photos
homedad5acre

2003-06-06          56996

Have you considered monthy payments instead of overall cost? Both John Deere and Kubota have 0% financing for up to 3 years and 2.9% for 5 years. Thats what I did and now I got the perfect tractor for my situation, however I would not leave it outside(no way). I must say that I was greatly helped out in my choice by the folks at this site. Good luck with your search. ....

Newbee help

View my Photos
lbrown59

2004-10-01          97448

I would not leave it outside(no way).
===============================
Leave the new pick up,car or SUV out but the tractor - NEVER ! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login