Go Bottom Go Bottom

Cutting tree s

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-01          70062

I recently made the statement,"Men get killed all the time playing with tree's".
It was in a "small stump removal" post.
I'm submitting this article in todays local paper only in the hope that it might make one person more careful.
Grinder

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Cutting tree s

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-02          70094

Trees.....yep I have been cutting them all summer, since the ice storm destroyed half my yard. Hard hat, chaps, ear protection and kevlar gloves always accompany me. I attended a two day course at work on the subject as well. All I can say is that you must expect and plan for the unexpected, and then it is still dangerous. I had intended to rent a bucket this week to top the larger ones that are damaged prior to felling them but due to the excess rain and winds canceled the project. What amazes me is that a complete idiot can buy the most dangerous tool on the market without attending a safety class yet we register our guns or make them impossible to purchase. I suppose in the long run the chainsaw brigade is less of a threat to an oppressive government than a shotgun brigade :>. ....

Cutting tree s

View my Photos
kubotaguy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-02          70100

I am definitely for safety myself. He broke one of the golden rules which is working alone. When doing any type of tree cutting, I always have someone with me just in case something happens, because trees can be unpredictable. Unless the tree is out in the open without the possibility of falling on a structure or electric lines, I leave it to professionals. I can't believe the number of people who don't use eye protection when using saws, grinders, etc. My eyes earn me my living as an Acct., I can't afford to have them get messed up!!!!! ....

Cutting tree s

View my Photos
cutter

2003-12-02          70108

Good point. I have been sold on eye protection since my early days as an instrument maker apprentice. The old 50's style glasses they supplied you with did not look fashionable but at the end of a month you could see the nicks in the glass from the metal chips that hit them, great antecedent.

The more fashionable eye-wear supplied by companies such as Crews, Winchester and other big names are inexpensive and rival the $100 designer non-safety glasses on the market. I tend to wear them whenever possible, even to the extent of using indoor/outdoor for driving at night should I become involved in an accident. Regardless of ones occupation, sight loss would take most people out of the job market, not to mention almost every other activity. ....

Cutting tree s

View my Photos
Murf

2003-12-02          70129

I read somewhere that the single biggest cause of death for beavers was not predators, or even man, it was trees falling on them.

If it happens to them I suppose it can happen to us just as easily.

Whenever possible we only cut trees with mechanical assistance, usually a 30 ton excavator.

It's usually not much of a battle, Man 1, Tree 0, but every now and then one surprises the operator by fighting back just a little.

Best of luck. ....

Cutting tree s

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-03          70169

I always wondered about those beaver. You see their pencil point trees left standing and wonder how they know which way it's going to go and manage to get out of the way. I guess the answer is that they don't. Sometimes they chew into a big tree from one side and you wonder why any idiot would stick their head in there. Maybe they could be taught human methods but then they'd probably need felling wedges to keep their teeth from getting stuck.

I don't mind the thought of trees falling on a few beaver myself. It'd just make our favourite snowshoe trail to the store a little safer. However, I don't like the thought of trees falling on people. I believe that logging is about the most dangerous of all occupations. Chain-saws, falling heavy things and heavy-equipment make for a dangerous mix. Take care. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login