Go Bottom Go Bottom

Be Safe

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-22          126502

About 60 miles from here a bull dozer operator was killed, hit by the dozer he was operating on Monday. No other details.

I have no idea how that could happen. Just saying, stay alert and watch out of others. Last year we had three killed by machines others were operating in our news area being backed over, ditch caving in and bucket crushing one. But your own machine?

kt

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Be Safe

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-22          126505

At one of the golf courses we were building out there was a similar case, except in this case the fella (not one of my boys) got nothing more than a couple of bruises, mostly to his pride.

It's common for dozer operators to get off the machine to clear debris from in front of the blade when they are doing finished grading. It's very easy for an unattended machine to slip into drive, if you are in front of the machine and not watching, you could become a statistic.

Our operators are not allowed out of the seat when the machine is running without first planting the blade (or bucket) well into the ground, and setting the throttle to idle.

Best of luck. ....

Be Safe

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-22          126508

Murf,

Had not thought about your second paragraph. Regardlss sad and needless.

Talked with a dozer operator about a month ago that went over a pile (we are basically flat land) of dirt and when the dozer's blade hit solid ground and just stopped his head was cut badly on the metal dash. Seat belt would have save that.

But, it will not happen to me so off I go. ....

Be Safe

View my Photos
BillMullens

2006-03-22          126524

One of the recent mining fatalities in WV was a dozer operator that set his blade down on top of a gasline. Ruptured the line, ignited and killed him. He was up on a ridge, off of the permitted mining area; nobody knew what he was doing up there last I heard.

One of the surface mines we survey had an accident last year; the timber contractor was "yo-yoing" a dozer from the top of a steep incline with a larger dozer. The cable broke and the smaller dozer went over a small (30 feet or so) highwall. The operator was knocked silly (when some miners went to his aid he was trying to shut down the upside-down dozer)and cut up some; they choppered him to the hospital and he was out in a couple of days.

Stay safe,
Bill ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login