Go Bottom Go Bottom

Sandblaster advice needed

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-08-30          156406

I've got one of those red twice the size of a five gallon bucket, on two little wheels looking sandblasters that I bought a few years ago at the NAPA store and have never used it. I've got a "Cub" Farmall and a couple other things I'd like to try my hand at painting before winter gets here. I've got the hood, gloves, extra tips ceramic I think, a bag of silica sand, etc., but have never used this thing. Before I do something wrong, please tell me how to use it. Frank.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-30          156407

1. You'll get sand onto, over, inside EVERYTHING so clothe yourself as if preparing for an anthrax or at least an ant attack, locate the operation suitably, and cover openings of the machinery. 2. Treat the outflow with respect. 3. Every nozzle eventually clogs, so practice the unclogging procedure. 4. Bare metal starts rusting so don't leave too long between blasting and priming. 5. The only practical way to re-use the sand is in a blasting cabinet. 6. The other issue, about which I don't know much, is the medium. Used to be one grade of blasting sand and that was it; now there's everything from glass beads to ground nut shells.

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-08-30          156412

Franky I realize you're getting up in your years so this may not be a concern to you, but there may be lead in that old paint so you should use the appropriate respirator.

Also, consider using regular baking soda. It is easily washed away or power washed off as opposed to sand which can be messy.

On sheet metal parts don't allow the stream of media to concentrate too long as it will heat the emtal up and permanently warp it.

Generally speaking, the media isn't reusable unelss you have a way to separate out the rust and paint from the media. If you reuse it you'll find it takes much more effort and time to do the same job opposed to clean media.

Sand blasting tips don't always clog (which is from moisture) but they do wear out, especially if they're cheapies. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-08-31          156417

None of the things I'm wanting to clean up with the sandblaster are priceless antiques, just rusty old tractor hoods, etc., so is the silica sand that I have on hand the thing to use? I picked up a bag at the lumberyard and don't really remember what it cost but it wasn't much.

EW; OkieDokie, (new teenage slang term, acording to grand daughter) now I understand, It isn't old age at all that is slowing me down it's all the lead in my sorry old butt that's got me weighted down. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2008-08-31          156418

That's the old standby and will work fine to remove paint and rust. You don't need to know about the other media until you get into blasting plastics or turbine blades.

Start at an angle to the surface (and keep the deflection area clear) and at bit of a distance -- don't move close and straight on until you know you won't go right through. (If you aim straight on, you'll get sand into places where you didn't know you had places.) If the metal is thin and heavily coated, you could apply paint remover first. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-08-31          156428

Franky--boy, it takes trends, fads and sayings a l-o-n-g time to reach you Iowans. I mean, I was saying okeydokey or okeydoke when I was ohhhh about five years old! So I'm sure my mom and her mom was saying it much before that.

Hey, in about 20-30 years you're gonna hear about something called "the net" or the "world wide web". It changed the world!

Betcha' can't wait can ya? ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2008-08-31          156431

Okie Dokie EW, you wanna start throwing punches I might remind you that our 08 high school seniors again scored highest in the nation in their college entrance exams. We might not be as backwoodsey as you big towners may think. I've heard enough from you. Frank. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2008-08-31          156432

Com' on Cranky...errrr...Franky, gimme a hug. I didn't mean to get your panties in a bunch.

Does this mean I'm now UNinvited for Thanksgiving? ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-09-02          156441

Hardwood, I have purchased bags of sand from Lowes or Home Depot for my use and at times they were wet. Found the need to buy in advance and set them where the water would drain out for a few days. Wet sand just does not work. Never had done a lot but straight on will bounce back at you as has been pointed out. kt ....

View my Photos
Woodie

2008-09-02          156460

I'll echo most whats been said. Keep at an angle unless you can't help get at a spot, keep the nozzle moving and keep it back-but not to far back. Best is take a couple rusty cans or pieces of rusty painted sheet metal or old 55 gal drum and practice a bit to get the 'feel'- bit almost like welding- get to know how to hold optimal distance and speed to get the job done. A big item to watch is your air compressor and air tank capactiy can it keep up or have to stop and wait for build up and blast a bit and then wait again. First time(in our youthful late teens) my brother and our friend sand blasted we used one of them 'industrial trailer aircompressors' what an experience abit too much power in the hands of 'we should've know better' :( -we warpped the car door skin ..a bit too much pressure and and too close. actually seen the metal peen itself over itself.. our friend had access to some lake michigan beach sand approx 300 lbs worth- worked real well. we did a pickup truck and a vw bug all in one weekend. Since then we've scaled way back to smaller more manageable setup :) Unless you have one of them enclosed cabinets -- you'll be picking a few grains of sand or whatever media from your hair (even under one of the canvas hoods...) ;) ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-09-03          156465

It you have an in line oiler you need to by pass it for this job. kt ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login