Go Bottom Go Bottom

Grapple Loader Ideas Needed

View my Photos
smith311
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-05          147793

Does anyone know of any good websites that have information on building a grapple to add to the loader of my tractor. Thanks. Jeff

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-06          147810

What kind of info are you looking for?

I have two Bobcat brand grapples that can't be beat from a strength perspective. ....

View my Photos
kleinchris

2007-11-06          147816

Smith,
If you find one, let us know. I did some searching for similar plans and couldn't find anything. (I wasnt looking for a grapple specifiacally.) I think folks are too worried about getting sued these days to share ideas. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-06          147820

Are you wanting plans or to buy one? There was one on ebay just yesterday. Look under "THUMBS" in the Business area. I have seen a few doing an internet search of "THUMBS". Guess the company that builds one also builds the other a big part of the time. kt

Also search under buckets. ....

View my Photos
smith311

2007-11-06          147826

I'm looking at building one since my tractor is from Russia and the loader/bucket assembly is a wacky deal. couldn't find anyone that had a pre-assemled one for my loader so i'm searching for blueprints or just progress photos with some details. thanks. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-06          147828

There are some on eBay that are decent looking and bolt or weld on. The bucket configuration really has no bearing on it as you'll need to make it fit your application. I only caution that the ones on eBay could be not as heavy duty as they claim. I have a heavy duty grapple bucket. It lives up to its name. I have torn down houses, lifted entire oak trees, and entire cars with it with no damage to it other than scratched paint. But it $5200 too.

Kenny, like I said above you gotta be wary of those eBay thumbs that are made by "Bubba Joe's Welding and Bait Shop". They can be made of inferior metals that while they look comparable to a well lknown maker can break twist or warp. Some eBayers are selling ones that you have to weld yourself. While it saves on shipping again they're not all that great. I have one on my backhoe. While it works for me it is kind of smallish it does work but I had to really beef up the mounting system. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-11-06          147829

Smith, if you look at the better-designed grapple buckets you'll see that the sides of the buckets are cut back deeply into a sort of mouth or V. The reason for that is when you grapple something the items have to gather somehwere otjerwsie they will shift in the bucket and fall out when the grapples are closed. So you'll need to cut the sides of your bucket if you want a good set up.
Also ideally you want to have two grapples side by side. They can grab and hold things much better. One big one will be good for big round things like a round bale--but that's about it. And it will be more suceptible to bending and twisting. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-11-06          147830

There are a few companies that make a brush type grapple that just bolts onto the top of the existing bucket.

I would caution however, that a grapple on a bucket is pretty poor at picking up brush. If that's what you want to do you're much better off with a grapple with a set of forks.

If you look at my picture # 18 you will see a simple homemade bracket that goes on in place of the bucket including some homemade forks. All you would then need to do is add a simple pair of grapple arms driven by one smallish cylinder.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login