Go Bottom Go Bottom

size of trailers

View my Photos
c. f. dearborn
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-01-10          11835

Looking for info on what people think about the size of trailer one should buy for a TC33D with bachhoe and front loader. Also very interested in what brands people like and what features are important.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

size of trailers

View my Photos
Glenn Revheim

2000-01-11          11848

I bought the same setup, TC33D with loader/backhoe, last month and also needed a trailer. The weight on the hole thing is about 4,600 lbs., give or take a little, depending who you talk to. A 16 ft., 7,000 lb. trailer would work, however, a 18 ft., 10,000 lb. trailer is better. The total length of the tractor is about 17 1/2 ft. as I measured it with the bucket down. The 18 ft. trailer gives you just enough extra room to move the tractor forward or backwards to adjust the tongue weight correctly. I'm in Northern California and looked at all the local brands. I decided to have a local manufacturer build me one. The cost was slightly less for it, and the quality will be much better. The total cost will be about $2,250.00. This is a quality flatbed trailer, which is basically designed as a car hauler or equipment trailer. I know that in Texas, Indiana and many other States, the trailer are much cheaper. By the way, mines going to be built this month. Glenn Revheim ....

size of trailers

View my Photos
Steve

2000-01-11          11852

I have trailered several compact tractors in the past and will agree with Glenn that an 18' tandem trailer would be perfect if you have a backhoe. I have a 16' trailer plus a 2.5' dove tail, which gives me enough room to load the tongue properly and still have a place to rest the hoe. ....

size of trailers

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-01-11          11857

Steve,
Did your trailer come with the dove tail or did you add it? I have a 16' footer and am wondering if I can add a tail without changing the placement of the axles?

Thanks
David ....

size of trailers

View my Photos
Steve

2000-01-11          11860

David, my trailer came with the dovetail. The dovetail does not typically change the location of the axles. Dovetails are easially welded to the back of a trailer. If you look at new trailers with a dovetail, you can see that most are welded on at the time of manufacture. Check with your local welding shop or trailer sales outlet for more info on adding the dovetail. Steve ....

size of trailers

View my Photos
JJT

2000-01-11          11865

Please pardon the question, but just what is a dovetail. Am I correct in assuming this should not be confused with a gooseneck? I've been thinking about this type of trailer occupying one of my possible futures and would like to know if I may want a dovetail equiped trailer. ....

size of trailers

View my Photos
Steve

2000-01-12          11868

jt, a dovetail refers to the short sloped section on the back of many trailers. Its purpose is to improve the loading angle of the trailer. Depending on the size of the trailer, dovetails are usually 2' - 5' in length. They are available on all types of trailers, including goosenecks. Steve ....

size of trailers

View my Photos
Steve in Buffalo NY

2000-01-12          11871

Lots of trailer manufacturers like pace and wells call it Beavertail. Same idea. My enclosed race car hauler has it and I can't imagine how i'd get the low ground clearance car in otherwise! With the tractor, ground clearance is not an issue.... ....

size of trailers

View my Photos
JJT

2000-01-12          11897

Thanks Steve(s). Now that you describe it I can say that I've seen this feature on trailers...I guess I just never realized it had a name. I thought maybe you where talking about those integral hinged ramps sticking up in the air, but they don't resemble a dove's tail much do they? So, I figured it must be something else. Thanks again. ....

size of trailers

View my Photos
john hunter

2000-11-09          21354

What is the advantage/dis-advantage of having a dovetail versus a complete flat bed on an 18 feet trailer? It seems that I would be losing some space with a dovetail. What are the advantages/dis-advantages of having side rails? ....

size of trailers

View my Photos
Steve in Buffalo NY

2000-11-10          21357

Dovetails are handy for loading low clearance stuff like racecars and tractors with belly mowers. The dovetail "spreads out" the oterwise sharp angle at the top of the ramp over a longer distance (ramp+dovetail). Of course you could always build longer ramps. I don't feel mine is wasted space.

Siderails are nice for hay rides as you don't have to stop as often for the kids who fall off.

Seriously, it depends if the rails are structural members or just rails. If a trailer "needs" the rail for stiffness, the frame is probably pretty light. A trailer without rails (like most all construction trailers) are usually built for heavier uses.

My brother-in-law's Case broke both of the rails on my old trailer while we were loading it. My new trailer doesn't even groan when we put it up there. Much stiffer frame. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login