Go Bottom Go Bottom

Novice hydraulic questions

View my Photos
tcumming
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-21          118257

I'm working on adding a extra hydraulic circuit to my tractor (a Deere 955 w/power beyond). I've been studying the Womack texts so I'm fine with the higher level stuff, but I'm a bit weak on some of the practical details. Hence, the following questions.

1) It's clear to me that a hydraulic circuit must be free of (compressible) internal air to function properly - but I can't find any information on starting, priming or bleeding a hydraulic circuit. Am I just wrong? How do I get the air out of all the little nooks and crannies of a freshly assembled hydraulic circuit?

2) I seem to recall reading that one shouldn't use teflon tape as a thread sealant in a hydraulic system (something about the tape deteriorating...). What's the proper material for thread sealing in a hydraulic system?

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-21          118258

Usually just operating the system will ultimately purge the system of air and the air will excape in the resevoir.

The concern with tape is it comming apart. Meanining you use to much and some of it is over the end of the fitting and it breaks loose and plugs a port or gets stuck in a connector.

I use a teflon enriched pipe dope. ....

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-22          118259

In addition you need to keep track of your hydraulic fluid level as the fluid fills the new equipment and fill fluid lost. ....

View my Photos
beagle

2005-10-22          118260

Make sure if you are going to add a circuit you use a power beyond port on the new valve. That is the proper way to add a circuit to an existing circuit making sure that the "beyond" circuit operates at the system pressure. Plumb your valve exhaust port directly back to the reservoir, unless your are going to use a regerative circuit. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-10-22          118265

When your tractor starts pushing hydraulic fluid through those skinny lines at 7-10 GPM and 2500 psi, the air will go in a big hurry. ....

View my Photos
tcumming
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-27          118528

Thanks folks ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login