Go Bottom Go Bottom

Loader Bucket Size

View my Photos
Rhuebner
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-09          50804

I have the choice between a 4' or 5' bucket for the loader going on my JD870 (25-30HP class). I will be using the loader for work on a small horse farm ( manure piles, road maintenance, etc) While the larger bucket would seem to make the job go faster, what are the pros and cons on the different bucket size and what should drive the decision? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Loader Bucket Size

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-09          50808

Ballast is a major consideration.

Just yesterday I was picking rocks with my Deere 4100 and 48 inch bucket. I was using a 385# rear blade and wheel weights (100# per wheel) as ballast.

It was not enough for a bucket full of rocks.

When I put the brakes on going down hill the rear end of the tractor got a little light in the loafers.

I had to stop and change to my ballast box (525#... 725# total ballast) to continue working safely. If I was using a bigger bucket I would have had to carry even more rear ballast, like maybe a thousand pounds.

So check that owners manual for ballast requirements, and also think about whether a larger bucket might reduce your maneuverability if you are cleaning stalls.

Loader Bucket Size

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-09          50810

I would recommend the 5' bucket for that tractor. It should be wider than the tractor, just make sure that it is not a deep bucket at the bottom as it moves the load away from your tractor. A round back bucket is nice as it allows the soil or load to curl instead of hitting a straight vertical back. They are normally a little more money. ....

Loader Bucket Size

View my Photos
JackHerr

2003-03-09          50823

Mark has some valid points. However, I would agree with Art and say that the 60" bucket would be better. I prefer to have a bucket as wide as the tractor. If I was in your position, it would be the 60" for me.
The Ford 1520 & loader that I use has two buckets, a 48" & a 66". The standard, 48" bucket with a tooth bar is used only for dirt work. This works better for two reasons:
1) It is smaller in size so that you don't get into trouble with too much weight in the bucket.
2) The tractor's power is concentrated on a smaller, 48" width. (More horsepower per inch of bucket.) This is ideal for digging dirt.
The 66" high capacity bucket is used for hauling mulch, transporting tools, moving snow, hauling wood and brush, and even water! (The drought this past summer caused us to use the large bucket to carry water to newly planted trees where a hose would not reach.)
Translation: The 66" bucket is used about 80% of the time.
Your 870 Deere is about 60" wide and is a tractor of decent weight. I would use a ballast box when doing the heavy work. I think that a 60" bucket would be more useful for your manure hauling. Besides, the 48" bucket on the front of that JD 870 would look like a 300-lb. man with bird legs! ....

Loader Bucket Size

View my Photos
ruger454

2003-03-10          50889

Go with the 5' bucket. It will be all around a better fit for the tractor. Just because you have the wider bucket doesn't mean you have to fill it to the max with all materials. If you are doing lighter materials you will have more capacity. But remember the longer it takes you the more fun you have. ....

Loader Bucket Size

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-10          50919

If you're buying a new loader they usually offer the option of a heavy duty bucket. On my J D 430 I think it was a little over $100.00 diference between the standard and the H D bucket, I really think there worth the extra cost. I too like a bucket that's a bit wider than the wheel tracks of the tractor especially in snow. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login