Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hooks on my loader

View my Photos
RayMurphy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-02-04          48656

I find that I need to have the ability to pick up things that won't fit into the bucket of my JD 420 loader. I want to weld a couple of hooks on the top so that I can use chain or rope as my pick up device. I looking for advise as to how best do this. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hooks on my loader

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-02-04          48658

I like a big hook in the center, so I drilled and bolted a 10,000# rated tow hook up there and ran some steel channel under it (inside the bucket) to keep it from bending the lip down under really heavy loads.

It is fully capable of picking up and spotting my heaviest three point implement if I need to hook it and move it to a more convenient location to install it.

Others prefer a pair of chain type hooks, welded on either end of the bucket. This sort of attachment is a bit stronger because it attaches to the bucket corners.
It doesn't seem quite as versatile to me, because it is limited to use only with a length of chain and you probably have to use both hooks for most loads to keep from tipping the tractor. ....

Hooks on my loader

View my Photos
kvh1942

2003-02-04          48666

I also have the 420 loader. Welded two chain type hooks on the top of the loader. Each is welded to the reinforcing plate where the arm attaches to the bucket. This seems to be the strongest place, and dealer said it was a good place. Works great. Ken ....

Hooks on my loader

View my Photos
BillBass

2003-02-04          48678

Why not weld on 3? I have 3 chain hooks welded on, 1 on each end and 1 in the center. Gives me more versatility depending on what I want to pick up. ....

Hooks on my loader

View my Photos
jyoutz

2003-02-04          48703

You can do what I did. I bought a length of 2" x 2" x 1/4" angle iron the length of my bucket lip. Then I welded two chain hooks onto the angle iron. I also cut a piece of flat iron 1/4" x 2" the length of my bucket lip. Then I drilled and bolted the angle iron to the top of the bucket lip, using the flat stock as a backing plate on the underside of the bucket lip. Cheap and easy to do, and it adds 1/2" of reinforcement to the bucket lip. Also, you can unbolt and remove it if you should ever want to. ....

Hooks on my loader

View my Photos
TomG

2003-02-05          48713

I have several 20' lengths of chain in 5/16th and 3/8th grade-70 with grab hooks on both ends. Usually I just loop the chain around the bucket and load several times and secure at each end of the bucket with the grab hooks. That usually gives two points of support to distribute the load across the bucket and also prevent the load from swinging around and bashing into the tractor. Since loads move closer to the tractor as they are lifted, some care has to be taken. If I'm concerned about weight on the bucket, I run chain through the pipe between the loader arms.

Hooks might be handier, and with some care they might be used to secure loads on top the bucket if grab hooks and load-binders are used. Hooks welded onto reinforced areas on a bucket may be stronger than my chain looping and I would keep in mind that it's not uncommon to hear about bent buckets from lifting heavy loads from the centre. I've haven't put hooks on my bucket because I do most of my material handling with a 3ph forklift.

I sure would avoid doing any lifting or securing with rope or nylon webbing. There's too many things on tractors and implements that will cut it. A little use, it gets frayed and you're never sure of its strength. Transport rated grade-70 chain and hooks are standard for ag use and should be available at any tractor store. For securing loads, load binders are the only way to get chain tight. Nylon ratchet type binders work but the webbing can be cut.

Hooks on my loader

View my Photos
JonB

2003-02-05          48748

Ray, I used to wrap a chain around my 410 loader. I mentioned it to my Deere dealer and he welded three chain hooks on my loader, reinforced with steel, and painted it original green. Hooks are just easier and less time consuming. For bigger or heavier loads you don't want to lift with the middle hook, this is where the loader is most likely to bend. I use 'em to pull small tree stumps, T-posts, lifting implements, barrels, etc. Best of luck. JonB ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login