Go Bottom Go Bottom

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
exhech
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-06          36124

Does anyone know if someone makes a slotted loader bucket for light tractors? The slots filter out dirt and keep rocks, helping clean up a field. If they aren't made, does anyone know why not? Milford Welding makes one for skid steers that seems right for the job I have, but I'd like one to fit a JD4100. I've attached a link to the Rock Bucket site by Milford. Thanks in advance for any help you can give. JonB

Link:   Rocket Bucket

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-06          36134

Yes some one posted a link for a rockway bucket, landscape bucket recently. I would think you need the quick connects. ....

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
JonB

2002-03-06          36153

Peter, thanks for the reply. My only concern with the Rockway Bucket is $4000+ pricetag and the need for hydraulics. The slotted bucket I'd like to find would simply attach to my loader, hopefully in place of the existing bucket, and have no hydraulics. It probably wouldn't work as efficient as the Rockway Bucket--but it's much less expensive, and perhaps for versatile. I also want to scoop up loose dirt up to 12" down, and sift out rocks. So has anyone else seen a rock bucket for a compact tractor? ....

Link:   Rock Bucket

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-07          36163

I don't know where you are located, but there are several excellent models made here in Canada. I'm sure they are sold in your area also, I will check into any links I can find. Best of luck. ....

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
Peters

2002-03-07          36165

OK this is not necessarily what you are looking for but cheaper that 4K. It is new to me. I have no idea how or if it works and I guess it would depend on how big the rocks are. See link. ....

Link:   Rock Burier

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
Murf

2002-03-08          36177

I couldn't find the manufacturer I was thinking of, but I think this is what you are thinking of. Best of luck. ....

Link:   Stone Forks

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
JonB

2002-03-08          36201

Thanks Murf. They look great and are exactly what I need. Just as helpful is the name "stone forks." I've found at least the one other manufacturer, and can start looking for one to fit my tractor. For those of you who are interested, I've attached a link to a page with a streaming video, so you can see the stone forks in action. Thanks again. JonB ....

Link:   Degelman stone forks

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
johnj

2002-03-11          36246

Have a look at www.easternfarmmachinery.com they have rock buckets on their site with pricing and sizing. They were the original importer(20 years ago) of the Vreten Stone forks that Degelman is now selling. ....

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
JonB

2002-04-02          36974

Well, I made the plunge and ordered the stone forks. I researched, spoke with dealers and contractors (a speciality item), looked for used ones (none found), tried to find rentals (nope), and even considered alternatives (too expensive). In the end, the stone forks at Eastern Farm Machinery (thanks Murf, thanks JohnJ) seemed best for my 4100. They may be too wide at 53" and 550 lbs., but I can cut the ends off weld on new side braces if they're too wide. They should arrive within a week. I'll let you know how they work. JonB ....

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
johnj

2002-04-02          36992

Did you get the 3" or the 2" tine spacing? ....

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
JonB

2002-04-02          36995

2" spacing. I looked up the specs again. The 2" spacing forks weigh 520 lbs., the 3" spacing weighs 420 lbs. For comparison, my bucket weighs 165 lbs. At the pivot point the 4100 can lift 1,072 lbs. I don't plan to lift any load more than a foot or two off the ground so hopefully I won't have to make any modification to the forks. ....

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
JonB

2002-07-22          40565

Incredible. I ordered the stone forks in March, they arrived mid-July! But the wait was worth it. Canadian made by Precision. They seem to be exactly what I needed. The pictures say more than I can ... see the link below. Thanks again for your help and advice. JonB ....

Link:   Pictures of Stone Forks

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-22          40571

Fine looking unit. I wonder how it might do for picking up brush and maybe even picking up wind-rowed hay. Who knows maybe the hay wagon, rack and stack might make a comeback.

I often try to figure alternative uses for things. I wonder if the rock bucket plus screens could shift well enough to size aggregate? I can remember sizing aggregate when I was a kid. I pitched shovels of gravel through a course screen and a finer screen behind it. That left three piles of aggregate that had then had to be shoveled into separate piles. A lot of long hot work for a kid.

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
Matt W>

2002-07-23          40604

JonB: The idea of the chicken wire on the landscape/rock rake, did you find this worthy to remove superball to golf ball size stones while leaving behind the soil? How much down pressure and/or weight did you have on the rake? Thanks for the help. Your rock bucket setup seems nifty!! Too much for my wallet however. Wish you were down the road from me, I'ld ask to rent it from you. ....

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
JonB

2002-07-24          40619

Matt, the stonefork and chicken wire work better than I hoped. Golf ball sized stones and smaller are trapped. I did reinforce the chicken wire at the lead edge with tie wire, and it's wired tight to the stone fork at key places too. The ground has lots of clay in it but the tilling left it soft and loose. No dirt clods, and it falls through the fence holes easily. When I'm finished sifting for larger stones, I plan to wire 1/2" hardware cloth to the fork to see if I can get even smaller pebbles.

This most weight I had in the fork was about 300 lbs (a guess). A small tractor has to work with smaller loads, especially given the weight of the stone fork.

And yes it's expensive, but it's the cheapest way I could figure out to remove the rocks. When I'm done, I estimate I'll have around 10 yards of rocks. My back wouldn't let me pick up that many rocks, and this is much faster too. I calculated labor, and even considered hauling the top several inches of dirt/stones away and replacing it with good clean dirt. And when this is done, I'll start working on reclaiming more ground for crops. Hopefully I'll get my entire investment back before too long.

Then I will have to decide what to do with it. I like Tom G's idea ... find other uses for it, or rent it out like you suggest. I have wondered what others have done about rocks. This tool seems popular with contractors, but not with small compact tractor owners. No matter, it's one of my favorite implements now. -JonB

Link:   Precision Stone Fork on JD 4100

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
JonB

2002-07-24          40620

Tom G., thanks for the ideas. I have used the stone fork to sift hay from loose soil, but I'll have to try in other areas. I've also wondered what I'd do with all this rock. When I'm done I should have several more yards of rock, so separating them would help me find a use for them. I'll let you know how it goes. JonB ....

Rock Buckets

View my Photos
TomG

2002-07-24          40623

With me, the sizing of aggregate was my father's do-it-yourself urge for concrete rather than ready mix. Mind you I think ready mix is a better idea then jiggling loads of aggregate in the rock bucket, but it was sort of an inspirational thought.

The aggregate my father got had stones and sand about right for concrete but also finer stuff that had to be removed. So, I pitched the stuff through screens. The first two piles were washed and mixed with cement in the right proportions and the third pile was discarded.

I later learned that there's sand and then there's sand and not all of it is appropriate for concrete. It's supposed to have sharp points that allow formation of a water film around individual particles. Many years later I was surprised when a civil engineer told me that sand is imported from Australia to Saudi Arabia because desert sand doesn't good concrete.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login