Go Bottom Go Bottom

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
Hettric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-03-19          108342

I have not found this covered in the past, or I have missed it if it has been.
I have a JD755 with a 70A fel, I was preparing to make up a fork set up to replace the bucket (which Pins on), when the thought came that for a little more work, I could maybe come up with a quick attach system. I am not concerned that it be "standard" I will make or modify what I wish to mount.
Has anyone made both "sides" of a quick attach, and is it worth the trouble, or is changing attachments with pins not that bad.
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-19          108350

Hettric
I made some pretty cool stuff last year. What I did find was that some items I could darn near buy for the same cost as what the price of steel was. 12 foot of structural tubeing 2"x3" was $106 plus tax. This made me start to think that in some cases I would be better off buying new than making to fit. In the case of the quick tach (and this is only my opinion) you would be better off buying a standard set up unless you copied it exactly and had the steel for cheap. Down the road you may want to rent something instead of buying or making it. Also you dont know what the price of steel is going to do in years to come so that may also be a good reason to either make it exactly like the quick tach or reak down and buy one.
I know it kills me to see the minimal amount of work that it takes to make some of these tools but the price of steel now a day plays a role in my decisions.
Good luck. ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-19          108351

See my pic 3 and 16. I also made a set of bucket forks, that I dont have pictured. ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-21          108439

Hettric, if you, or somebody you can mooch a little time from is handy with a welder a Quick Attach system is an easy project to do.

It doesn't have to be complicated or even anything fancy. Unfortunately it doesn't show the base very well, but my picture # 18 shows just about exactly what you are talking about doing. It was basically a one weekend project.

If you want some more detailed info. on how to do it just let me know and I will happily share some design spec.'s with you or anyone else interested.

BTW, once you have a QT system on your FEL you will find no end of uses for it. I made a 3PTH adapter to go on mine so that non-PTO-powered things like a broom, rake or wood splitter can be front mounted instead.

Best of luck. ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-03-21          108444

Rankineq.com sells ready made forks with Deere quick attach points for around $600....... FYI. ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-21          108446

The major drawback with most 'factory' QT systems is the cost. For what you get they are drastically over-priced. They are usually, IMHO, too complicated.

My system goes on between the FEL and the factory bucket and there is absolutley modifications required to either piece. The only change required is to swap the two lower pins with standard hitch pins of the same diameter, but a little more length. The factory pins can be used if desired, but without handles, etc., they are not as convenient.

There is no reason I can see why a QT system like mine can't be built for about $200 for almost any FEL.

Best of luck. ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
Hettric

2005-03-21          108465

Murf, Thanks for the reply, I had seen your frame system in my search, but it looked like it "pins" on in place of the bucket(my original plan). Maybe there is more to it that I can't see in the picture. Does it attach to a mount that stays on the loader arms? or do you have to remove the pins to swap the "utility" frame and bucket? If so, back to my question of how much of a hassle is it switching?
Thanks ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-22          108496

Let's see if I can describe it in less than 10,000 words.

The system uses the 'factory' top pins in the bucket. The bottom pins need to slide out to release the bucket, so they were replaced with hitch pins a little longer, but the same diameter as the 'fasctory' pins, the hitch pins also give you handles to make this easier.

The utility frame shown in my picture # 18 is the same system, the top pin stays in place, the bottom pin is the release and lock.

The heart of the system is a small frame that goes on the FEL arms in place of the bucket. The FEL side of the frame is the same width and hole spacing as the bucket. A few inches forward of the mounts, it narrows down such that it now fits into the openings in the bucket frame, being the same width as the FEL arms themselves. The difference is that the frame has a large hook in place of just a hole for the top pin. The bottom is just a plain hole as before.

In use, you just pull the bottom pins, they slide out very easily, then set the bucket down and roll the curl function out as if you were dumping a bucket full of material, this pulls the bottom mount clear and unhooks the top mount from the pin.

To remount the bucket, or anything else, you do the reverse. Tip the frame forward to about 45° and drive into the bucket, curl it back to vertical and raise the attachment up into the air. Then you just slip the bottom pins back in place, again, they go quite easily.

Like anything else, once you get the hang of it, change over is a few seconds and no hard work at all. It does require you to get off the machine to replace the lower pins, but that's not an issue for me. The convenience of the forks and other bits, trailer hitch, snow plow, etc., far outweigh having to get off the machine once or twice.

Best of luck. ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-22          108502

We may be mixing our metaphors here.

Hettric already has a Deere with a quick attach system built into it, and he wants forks to fit it.

Murf is designing an entire system for Kubota's where it does not exist.

Or am I missing something? ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-22          108505

Mark, you might be right, I was just going by the statement "when the thought came that for a little more work, I could maybe come up with a quick attach system." in the original post.

That led me to believe he had no QT system now at all.

Best of luck. ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-22          108506

Hettric, I have a set of Rankin forks designed for the Deere system. I would be glad to send you some photo's. ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
Hettric

2005-03-22          108527

Sorry for the confusion, I have no system now, just the stock bucket that attaches with pins. I do have the ability to fabricate most anything I want to spend the time on.(read will it be fun?) I have forks from a fork truck that I will use as a start. the question is; do I make my fork frame pin on in place of the bucket? Or do I fabricate a quick attach system? Which would of course require modifying the bucket also.
Murf, it sounds like you don't see much drawback with staying with the pins if they are replaced with longer/handled pins.
Thanks ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-22          108529

First of all, IMHO, if you are looking at a second implement for the FEL, you may as well look at a QT system. Adding further items then becomes so much easier.

I think the description may have been unclear.

I do use the pins, but as part of a QT system, as opposed to levers and other mechanism to lock it in place.

With a modicum of skill and equipment a QT like mine wouldn't be anything more than an easy weekend project.

If the cutting and bending were sub-contracted out it would be an easy afternoon project.

Best of luck. ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-22          108537

I am confused. Can you pull two lynch pins and tip the bucket off of the loader frame? ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-22          108547

Mark, they say one pic. is worth a thousand words, let's try it out.

But to first answer your question, yes, two pins is all it takes.

If you look at my picture # 18, you will see that the top pin (gold coloured) visible on the side of the utility frame has no handle, the bottom one does.

The only thing you have to do to change-over bucket to or from whatever, is to pull the 2 lower pins, then tip the curl function forward (dump) and back away from it. The reverse is true for the mounting, tip forward, drive into attachment, tip up, replace lower 2 pins.

I will go outside later and snap a couple of pic.'s since I have to dismount the plow anyways. I will post them to my gallery likely tomorrow.

Best of luck. ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-03-22          108549

I'm sorry Murf.... I was trying to establish if Hettric has a QT Deere loader. ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
Hettric

2005-03-26          108765

Murf,
Did you get a chance to get pictures of your system hookup?
Thanks ....

Home Made Quick Attach

View my Photos
Murf

2005-03-28          108914

Sorry, no, the battery in my digital camera went bad, it wont even hold a charge long enough to go from the charger to the yard and take a single picture.

I'll get some this week, probably a good reason to buy a new camera anyways.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login